Garmin Vista HCX v. 60Cx

GeoBobC

Wow - what a bummer. I just tried out a new Vista HCX and was very disappointed in its tracking performance. I use a GPS to record trails both on a bike and running. I have been recording the tracklogs from trail runs for about five years, using a variety of Garmin GPS units. In the last 18 months I've been using the 60cX with the Sirf chip. The results from run to run were very consistent: tightly clustered from each recording.

I just tried out a new Vista today, hoping I would finding its performance similar. If I could post a picture, it would tell the story. The track logs were consistently off the roads and trails, in no particular pattern. In some cases the points were 100 feet or more from the cluster of previously recorded tracks.

I also had my 60cX along, and it performned as expected: with two tracks (one out, one back) right on the cluster of previously recorded tracks.

My Vista goes back. I may buy a second 60cX or possibly the 60csx to have a compass when necessary.

By the way, the Vista had the latest firmware (2.40) and the compass was turned off.

I was comparing 60cx (Sirf) chip tracks to the Vista HCX tracks. I expected them to be very similar.
I know that they use different high-sensitvity chips. The 60csx uses the Sirf chip and the Vista uses a Taiwan equivalent. There has been some discussion in these threads about the Vista HCX having a bug that causes it to be slower to update....

Yes, they are different chips. The 60x series uses the Sirf chip while the newer eTrex x models use an MTK chip. I've been following this forum since the Vista HCX came out, and really expected it to perform quite close to the 60cX. The differences I experienced today may not simply be a difference in the chip, however. The antennas are different. Who knows? Anyway, I tested them side-by-side today in a heavily tree canopied setting, travelling 12 miles on bike and foot. The 60cX definitely laid down more accurate tracks; no question about it.

Yes, they are different chips. The 60x series uses the Sirf chip while the newer eTrex x models use an MTK chip. I've been following this forum since the Vista HCX came out, and really expected it to perform quite close to the 60cX. The differences I experienced today may not simply be a difference in the chip, however. The antennas are different. Who knows? Anyway, I tested them side-by-side today in a heavily tree canopied setting, travelling 12 miles on bike and foot. The 60cX definitely laid down more accurate tracks; no question about it.
A friend of mine accidentally left his 60CSX on inside his bag, which was in the overhead compartment during from his flight from LA to Yuma. He didn't realize it until he downloaded his tracks and had the entire flight in his track logs! Those Sirf chips are pretty amazing! :blink:

I own both as well.....I prefer my vista hands down due to low variance while stationary, its battery life, its small size, the metal backing, the push button microsd card slot and its great overall performance for the low price

but you can bet your booty that when a new 60 model comes out, the vista will be put on the shelf, becauase I prefer the buttons below the screen and easy to push