Why do you Geocache COINTEST!

ArtieD

I will post then enjoy reading the stories later, I had given each of my sons GPS units when they were teenagers, they hunt and hike in the wilds and I told them that as long as they marked where they started they would never be lost, has kind of become our family notto, there is always a placve in the family no matter how far you travel, just find your way back home.

As a treat or should I say an about face they got me a Garmin XL12, same as theors so we could all use each others, they said they never wanted to lose me either. Having grandchildren and traveling Alaska and allover the lower 48 it has been the best thing to happen to our family. We find places and see things no one would ever see without searching for hidden treasure, as they call it.

Even in the same town we have lived in for years I have gone to back roads and trails and seen the most amazing things. It keeps them and me outdoors, having fun, getting exercise and even in the craziest of weather we just laugh and go for it.

The next best if not equal advantage of the caching is meeting all the wonderful "friends" we have here in the forums, you guys really kept me laughing and sane as I awaited the newest cacher to the family, Alexander/Zander. Chris is setting up his account any day now as they have to make a couple Doctor visits and he figures they might as well let him in on the fun.

The caring and concern, the laughter and fun is all so much more bearable when you have others to share it with. I really hope more families get up off the couch and go explore this wonderful world we live in.

Now I am off to read why others are as crazy about geocaching as I am, :blink:

Congrats 4Bows and thanks for the cointest Arthur and Trillian!

Didn't see the thread in time, but I enjoyed reading everyones stories, so I'm going to post mine anyway :anicute:

I started caching the summer before last when my boyfriend PolskiKrol bought a GPS. We had just moved out to the burbs (wacky wacky NJ Roads!), and TomTom ended up being a big help.. He'd read an article about geocaching before buying the GPS and got excited. I think he sent the article to me but I don't think I bothered to read it. He had the summer free b/c he'd just graduated college and didn't start working until August so once he bought the unit, he went caching a few times with different friends while I was at work.

One saturday he dragged me and another friend to the shore for my first cache hunt. In the car he forced me to come up with a username, so making fun of his name (which means Polish King) I jokingly said ThirstyMick, well I couldn't come up with anything else before signing that first logbook, so that's who I became... I didn't think Geocaching would stick at first, but I had a lot of fun at one later in the day called "Cliffhanger" scrambling down a steep hill to retrieve the cache and I guess from there I was hooked. I mostly still cache only with PolskiKrol, even though he bought me my very own unit last Christmas... actually, funny story; he had it shipped to his parents' house and his mom not knowing what it was thought he was being Cheap only getting me one small thing, so she put some other things in the bag as well :unsure:

Why do I keep caching?

9d0defdf-da1d-430d-8d1e-7736d7e365f6.jpg

3cc7bef2-1f2f-4bf7-961e-0190eea7c9eb.jpg

f6395a39-f0b6-4243-a860-f11a4c7a3964.jpg

4d0c3ca3-2629-4366-bdc4-6673f41317fe.jpg

pretty much..

Hey AT...Nice topic!!!

I first discovered caching through a local Mag/Paper on things to do in Ukiah called Day/Night.

A guy I knew, but didnt know I knew took the paper on a cache hunt and from there it was published in the paper. The guy who led the paper on the cache hunt still only has 4 finds and has ceased caching, but I continue to CACHE ON!!! I sometimes think if that article was written just for me! :(

I continue to cache for the love of the find, diggin through the swag to see whats there, visiting the cool places it takes me and now all the cool people I know!...I just love it!!!

Granted I cannot get out and cache nearly enough, but I think about it everyday-all day...seriously!

Congrats to 4Bows!!!

I have an truly astounding lack of sense of direction, and I love to hike. A combination that can have dire consequences. My aunt gave me a GPS last Christmas and I discovered geocaching while researching it. And then I was hooked. I discovered geocoins shortly thereafter, and a true addiction started.

This has had both good and bad consequences. To learn more about geocaching, I read the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching, and learned lots of good tidbits, including this cool device called a personal locating beacon that has a built in GPS.

Well, I finally purchased the beacon thing this past July, figuring that with geocaching and rattlesnakes and hiking it was a good idea. In August, while hiking with my dachsund, Julia, I left the trail to take her to the lake to cool off. In the past I wouldn't have left the trail, but with my handy dandy GPS I knew I could find the trail again. Well, I fell off some rocks, dislocating both ankles and breaking the right. I was hiking solo, so I activated the beacon, and a while later a helicopter flew in and lifted me out.(Long story) That began 6 weeks in casts and a wheelchair, including some limited wheelchair access geocaching.

So, if I hadn't started geocaching and had a GPS I would not have left the trail. But if I also wouldn't have known about personal locating beacons. For ten weeks I was totally dependent on friends and family. A very difficult time, but overall a personally developing experience in terms of learning trust and depending on others. It is unlikely I will ever leave a trail again!! Unless, I am after a cache..... :D