Help with benchmark, ?

xoolo

Well I stumbled acrost this and I cant find any help on what it is or where I can log it.

can anyone help tell me what I need to log this find?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have read everything I can find and I dont know what to do.

the cords for this are 43.812° -111.928°

thanks

bench.jpg

xoolo -

That's a nice looking disk you found. It is a cadastral survey mark (it says so on it), which means that it is a section or property corner marker, not a geodetic marker. Some of these cadastral marks are included in the NGS (and therefore Geocaching databases) and many are not. By using this page and your coordinates, I see that the disk you found is not in the database.

I don't know what you have read or not read, but this page is a place to start narrowing your further questions for us. For a mark not in the database, this particular section of that page should answer at least one of your questions.

xoolo -

That's a nice looking disk you found. It is a cadastral survey mark (it says so on it), which means that it is a section or property corner marker, not a geodetic marker. Some of these cadastral marks are included in the NGS (and therefore Geocaching databases) and many are not. By using this page and your coordinates, I see that the disk you found is not in the database.

I don't know what you have read or not read, but this page is a place to start narrowing your further questions for us. For a mark not in the database, this particular section of that page should answer at least one of your questions.

hey thanks, yeah I had no idea it would be a property marker.

thanks for the help.

Yes, it's a cadastral mark (it's labeled as such), particularly a PLSS section corner. In many cases PLSS section corners are also property corners (also labeled as such, 'prop cor' over the center markings). The markings of 25 over 36 in the center identify it as the South Quarter Corner of Section 25 and the North Quarter Corner of Section 36, however the township & range are not identified as required by the PLSS Manual of Instructions. I don't know what markings of '19' & '125-15' are.

- Kewaneh

Yes, it's a cadastral mark (it's labeled as such), particularly a PLSS section corner. In many cases PLSS section corners are also property corners (also labeled as such, 'prop cor' over the center markings). The markings of 25 over 36 in the center identify it as the South Quarter Corner of Section 25 and the North Quarter Corner of Section 36, however the township & range are not identified as required by the PLSS Manual of Instructions. I don't know what markings of '19' & '125-15' are.

- Kewaneh

Thank you, I am learning alot about this stuff from you guys,

this is great.

That is 226 miles approximately East of the Initial Point for Idaho.

OH1335.

It appears to be the 1/2 mile mark or 1/2 of Sections 25 and 36.

TOPOZONE of given coordinates

Which is also within the First 6 miles North.

So I venture to guess it is in

T 1 N, R 37 E, S's 25-36

Or written out Township 1 North, Range 37 East, Sections 25-36.

Just a quick guess.

Maybe I should have explained the math of the PLSS.

Each Township is a 6x6 mile square as can be due to the convergence of the Meridians at the Poles.

Beginning at the Initial Point 0.

Each Township is divided into 36 Sections each Section a 1 mile square.

The NS designation begins at 0 or the Initial Point.

Thus Township 1 N is the End of the 1st 6 miles,TWP 2 NX6=12 miles,3 NX6=18 miles,4 N,etc.

The same holds true for South directions.

The EW designation is divided the same way but called Ranges

So merely taking the distance from the Initial Point and dividing by 6 you come up with the Range Line.

Same with the Township.

The Sections further subdivide the Township.

This is a brief explanation it gets deeper fast.

While what GEO says is basically correct, you can't get very precise by that calculation. If you end up in the right range and township that is about all you can hope for and sometimes even that might be off by one. You certainly can't compute to a mile with it.

The land was surveyed in 6 mile "square" townships (later divided into square mile sections) one after the other with perhaps 60 miles or more north and south before any attempt to straighten out the accumulated measurement error, and even further east and west.

The measurements were restarted at various correction lines and guide meridians. This straightened things out for some distance, but leaves odd-size sections before the correction line or meridian. On the second correction line in Iowa, over by Sioux City, the ranges are mismatched by a hair over 4 miles due to accumulated convergence.

As you say, it gets pretty deep to discuss the many other variables, but that example should demonstrate that the calculation only gets you in the vicinity.

That is 226 miles approximately East of the Initial Point for Idaho.

OH1335.

It appears to be the 1/2 mile mark or 1/2 of Sections 25 and 36.

TOPOZONE of given coordinates

Which is also within the First 6 miles North.

So I venture to guess it is in

T 1 N, R 37 E, S's 25-36

Or written out Township 1 North, Range 37 East, Sections 25-36.

Just a quick guess.

Maybe I should have explained the math of the PLSS.

Each Township is a 6x6 mile square as can be due to the convergence of the Meridians at the Poles.

Each Township is divided into 36 Sections each Section a 1 mile square.

The NS designation begins at 0 or the Initial Point.

Thus Township 1 N is the End of the 1st 6 miles,TWP 2 NX6=12 miles,3 NX6=18 miles,4 N,etc.

The same holds true for South directions.

The EW designation is divided the same way but called Ranges

So merely taking the distance from the Initial Point and dividing by 6 you come up with the Range Line.

Same with the Township.

The Sections further subdivide the Township.

This is a brief explanation it gets deeper fast.

Is there someplace that has a tutorial on the PLSS? I’ve got the basics of township, range and sections, but where you start to divide up the sections, that’s where I get lost.

I’m particularly interested in this description:

T7N R94W S34 E/2SW,SWNE,W/2SE,SESE S35 W/2SW

I know that this is township 7 north and range 94 west section 34. After that I am lost.

I found the Lat. Lon. for the center of section 34 by using the calculator at

http://www.esg.montana.edu/gl/trs-data.html

This is from the Sixth Principal Meridian.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is there someplace that has a tutorial on the PLSS? I’ve got the basics of township, range and sections, but where you start to divide up the sections, that’s where I get lost.

I’m particularly interested in this description:

T7N R94W S34 E/2SW,SWNE,W/2SE,SESE S35 W/2SW

I know that this is township 7 north and range 94 west section 34. After that I am lost.

I found the Lat. Lon. for the center of section 34 by using the calculator at

http://www.esg.montana.edu/gl/trs-data.html

This is from the Sixth Principal Meridian.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here is an example for you and what your legal would look like.

plss.jpg

LEGAL.JPG

CallawayMT

Edited by CallawayMT