CAR GPS system can manually add the longitude and latitude coordinates for the PARKING spot the is listed it the caches?

steelers217

Hello all,

Does anyone know if any CAR GPS system can manually add the longitude and latitude coordinates for the PARKING spot that is listed it the caches? Will this give you turn by turn directions to the PARKING coordinates? Thanks!

Why not just send the parking coordinates to the GPS when you send the cache data? Or, for those caches that have parking coordinates, send them instead of the cache coords? This is easy to accomplish using GSAK. Punching them in manually usually isn't necessary.

From experience, the following offer it:

StreetPilot III - obsolete; check eBay

StreetPilot 2720 - obsolete, replaced by 2820

Nuvi 660

Quest & Quest II - from users' tales

Do you have a handheld GPS? Or, will the auto unit be augmenting one?

If you have neither, I recommend you purchase an auto-routing handheld GPS first. An auto-routing handheld unit is much more efficient as a dual-purpose GPS than an auto unit. That includes the Quests.

Hello all,

Does anyone know if any CAR GPS system can manually add the longitude and latitude coordinates for the PARKING spot that is listed it the caches? Will this give you turn by turn directions to the PARKING coordinates? Thanks!

Why not just send the parking coordinates to the GPS when you send the cache data? Or, for those caches that have parking coordinates, send them instead of the cache coords? This is easy to accomplish using GSAK. Punching them in manually usually isn't necessary.

You are correct ... but ... I am new to this area and do not no all the back county roads. This way when I'm sitting in my driveway OR just finished up a cache and want to get to the next one I can do this without PRINTING OUT google maps. I do everything "paperless" utilizing my PALM pilot for the web pages.

If you have neither, I recommend you purchase an auto-routing handheld GPS first. An auto-routing handheld unit is much more efficient as a dual-purpose GPS than an auto unit. That includes the Quests.

I have a Nuvi250w but have found out it's sometimes useless traveling off road but great for the city. I want the Nuvi750 because of it's "tracks" feature - but it's too expensive. Do the auto-routing handhelds give voice directions? If so, which do you recommend?

Wouldn't it be great if Garmin would take custom orders? I don't want an MP3 to get the better nav features. In fact, I don't want it at all. Give me a 750 without the frills! - all nav and no play!

Edited by Lknot

Hello all,

Garmin Nuvi 350 can do this. Under "Where to" scroll down and select "Coordinates." Then you enter the coordinates and you can choose to save it or to "Go" to it and have it autoroute you to that location. If you saved it, you can autoroute to it from the "My Locations" items later at any time.

I have a Nuvi250w but have found out it's sometimes useless traveling off road but great for the city. I want the Nuvi750 because of it's "tracks" feature - but it's too expensive. Do the auto-routing handhelds give voice directions? If so, which do you recommend?

Wouldn't it be great if Garmin would take custom orders? I don't want an MP3 to get the better nav features. In fact, I don't want it at all. Give me a 750 without the frills! - all nav and no play!

No Garmin model does voice prompts; it's beeps and whistles.

My Nuvi 660 has an off-road mode, as follows: tools (the wrench icon) - Navigation - Route Preference. Check if yours has it in there too. However, it doesn't route from your moving position as the handhelds do. Rather, it drops a waypoint at the location from where you engage off-road mode and shows a line to the waypoint. Maybe I'm doing something wrong; both the Nuvi and the StreetPilot 2720 do this. I don't like it.

No Garmin model does voice prompts; it's beeps and whistles.

My Nuvi 660 has an off-road mode, as follows: tools (the wrench icon) - Navigation - Route Preference. Check if yours has it in there too. However, it doesn't route from your moving position as the handhelds do. Rather, it drops a waypoint at the location from where you engage off-road mode and shows a line to the waypoint. Maybe I'm doing something wrong; both the Nuvi and the StreetPilot 2720 do this. I don't like it.

The Nuvi 250w has off road mode. Do you mean it only shows a straight line to the beginning waypoint without giving you a breadcrumb trail back? That won't do any good if I were trapped in an off road maze - unless I could drop waypoints at each off road intersection.

From experience, the following offer it:

StreetPilot III - obsolete; check eBay

StreetPilot 2720 - obsolete, replaced by 2820

Nuvi 660

Quest & Quest II - from users' tales

Do you have a handheld GPS? Or, will the auto unit be augmenting one?

Add the 2610, also discontinued but still available if you look around. In my opinion this was one of the best auto routing models Garmin ever made.