Sharing Ownership of a Cache

geobobb16

I have a few caches where I "share" a cache with someone else. That's great, but maybe there should be a way so both members could edit and take credit for the cache. Currently, if you choose to "share" a cache, one person gets credit and editing rights, but the other one doesn't. I think it would just be a little bit easier (for me, anyway! :grin: ) to be able to truly share a cache.

A cache or bug is 'owned' by one person. What's displayed on a search page might be whatever you want to say, you can make it appear to have been hidden by someone else or give someone else credit (as I have done).

But in the database it translates to your super secret probationary member number. And I can see no way for that to ever change.

I have a few caches where I "share" a cache with someone else. That's great, but maybe there should be a way so both members could edit and take credit for the cache. Currently, if you choose to "share" a cache, one person gets credit and editing rights, but the other one doesn't. I think it would just be a little bit easier (for me, anyway! :blink: ) to be able to truly share a cache.

This is a great idea. I wish the site would allow one or more people to co-own a cache so it shows up on both accounts as owned. It would solve other problems that not having this ability has created. I'm not sure what problems it would create other than some of the set up for the cache and site programming.

Hopefully they will allows this one of these days.

I have a few caches where I "share" a cache with someone else. That's great, but maybe there should be a way so both members could edit and take credit for the cache. Currently, if you choose to "share" a cache, one person gets credit and editing rights, but the other one doesn't. I think it would just be a little bit easier (for me, anyway! :blink: ) to be able to truly share a cache.

This is a great idea. I wish the site would allow one or more people to co-own a cache so it shows up on both accounts as owned. It would solve other problems that not having this ability has created. I'm not sure what problems it would create other than some of the set up for the cache and site programming.

Hopefully they will allows this one of these days.

While little interest has ever been shown in this - I will echo that I think it is time to implment such a feature.

The one big problem I can see with the shared ownership concept is when a Needs Maintenance is logged. "I thought you were going to do that!", "No, it's your turn!", etc. The concept would work if one set of hiders are located far away from the cache and one is local, otherwise, finger pointing or a lot of one-sided cache maintenance will occur. If you want to see what's going on with a cache you helped place, either place it on a watch list or bookmark it so you get a copy of each log mailed to you.

The one big problem I can see with the shared ownership concept is when a Needs Maintenance is logged. "I thought you were going to do that!", "No, it's your turn!", etc. The concept would work if one set of hiders are located far away from the cache and one is local, otherwise, finger pointing or a lot of one-sided cache maintenance will occur. If you want to see what's going on with a cache you helped place, either place it on a watch list or bookmark it so you get a copy of each log mailed to you.

This is a problem of communication and agreement between the co-owners. It's not the type of problem to be solved globally.

People try to "share" caches (one of them just with the watch list and active participation "in the field"). But not having a shared ownership supported by the site hinders effective cooperation regardless of their good will.

I came here, because I had such a problem: I did some maintenance to a cache I "share" with a friend, which needed changes in the listing. But I couldn't put them in, because she was the owner. We managed to meet and solve this, but in the long run, this is not maintainable. Like now, I need to change it a little more, but have to wait 'till she finds some time to do it for me...

Now I know, this is not the solution for me ... until it becomes implemented (and I hope it will!)

I co-own two caches with three other people, using a separate shared account. We set up a GMail address for that account, with forwarding rules to send all the log notices and other mail along to our regular accounts. It has worked quite well for more than a year. I also monitor a cache hidden by my daughter, which is usually the closest unfound cache to my home coordinates.

Perhaps in v2 some type of shared ownership feature could be introduced, based on the "Friends" feature. A friends group could be defined as the owner of a cache and stats credit could go to each member of the friends group. The cache would be removed from the "nearest unfound" list for everyone in the friends group.

I could be wrong but I think sharing account details in this way (especially a Premium account) is in violation of the TOU of the site :anicute:

I think the Leprachaun's suggestion is the best (use a shared separate account in a team capacity)

Edited by dino-irl

dino-irl - I think you're wrong. Several people can share an account and share the password to it. They can even share Premium account.

I could well be and when I think on it I probably am.....Team accounts etc. However, I don't think it's a good idea to share your password and give full access to your account just for one or two caches. The new account approach is a much better idea :anicute:

I think you may be thinking of the sharing of the pocket query download, which is forbidden.

Correct....strictly forbidden