What was the largest cache you ever found?

What has been the biggest container you ever found? I think the largest one I found was a five gallon bucket. that was "covered" (read as burried) so only the top was shown and it had leaves and stuff glued to it. Found it by stepping on it.

Rabbits Eye View for me... Same size but not exactly burried. Just cammo'ed.

I have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid storage container very close to a public area. It constantly amazes me that it can't be seen, even when the leaves are off the trees. It actually held an alligator head TB at one point. Its been tough keeping it filled with SWAG, though.

O.o woo 30 gallon, that must of been easy to find.

I recently found a very large container - 30 gallon sounds about right. Great camo paint job on it too. It actually took me a couple of minutes at GZ to locate it. Several miles from the trailhead. I've wondered about getting it out there. Empty I assume, not too heavy, but still a weird item to be hauling out into the woods (foot traffic only).

At events, I've found caches as large as 8'x8'x6', but then these are temporary and probably not survive in the wild. The largest regular cache I found was a large trashcan (30 gallon) placed by the curve in a rural area. It seemed weird looking in trashcans for a cache, just hoping I wouldn't be greeted with that rotting garbage smell.

At events, I've found caches as large as 8'x8'x6', but then these are temporary and probably not survive in the wild. The largest regular cache I found was a large trashcan (30 gallon) placed by the curve in a rural area. It seemed weird looking in trashcans for a cache, just hoping I wouldn't be greeted with that rotting garbage smell.

I'm working on a 6' x 6' x 8' permanent cache right now. :grin:

In Yuma, AZ, I found a cache that was a large utility cabinet behind a gas station/7-11/AM-PM-type place. Inside there were several TBs all organized and hanging from hooks, ready for the taking. There were even some cammoed ammo cans for people to take, if they agreed to hide them in the Yuma area.

The same cache owner has a "Puzzle" cache called "A.T.M." aka "Almost the MotherShip."

8b89fe90-b3c0-4c0a-952a-3e921d95dd72.jpg

Those are the largest caches I've ever found.

In Blanding, UT, it seems the approved method of hiding caches is in "buried" five gallon buckets. I found several of those in that small town.

A ford door Jeep SUV with big rocks on the roof....On the first attempt (in hunting season) I aborted the search within 60 feet, thinking it was a deer on top of the SUV...On another search, I said to heck with it and was able to log a smilie. :blink: That cache "sledgehammer" was my most remember-able cache.

Sledgehammer is also my largest. But it's a Nissan Pathfinder, not a Jeep.

The cache page says "you are looking for a 4x4 container under some rocks." ;)B)

Oddly enough, I got a call from the owner of that cache last night. Although we live almost 600 miles apart, they found a cache 600 miles from them, and 200 miles from me a few hours after I had found it. :D:D

Ahh Holiday Traveling and caching. What a combination. :D

I've also found the WA APE and the pickup utility box cache here in Raleigh. I think both of those would fit in the 45 gallon trash barrel I found in the owner's yard down the shore a few years back though.

Largest cache I found was a shed in someone's yard. From it I took a rather large travel bug - it was a bowling pin. (Not the largest TB I've seen by far though). Tied for second place was the Project APE cache in Maryland, and a cache with a similar name and a similar container in a state park in Pennsylvania.

A ford door Jeep SUV with big rocks on the roof....On the first attempt (in hunting season) I aborted the search within 60 feet, thinking it was a deer on top of the SUV...On another search, I said to heck with it and was able to log a smilie. :unsure: That cache "sledgehammer" was my most remember-able cache.
Sledgehammer is also my largest. But it's a Nissan Pathfinder, not a Jeep.

The cache page says "you are looking for a 4x4 container under some rocks." :anicute::unsure: ...

That was the cache that I was referring to, also.

Funny to run across this thread tonight. I just snapped these pics with my phone at Stager's Store in Portage, PA this afternoon, thinking what a great Jumbo-Cache they would make! They have painted over the labels, but I'm guessing about 35 gallons or so. They are all steel, the lid is held on by a compression ring tightened by a nut and bolt. Just bring your 3/4" wrench with you! And yes, you read the sign correct, $7.00 each.

BigCache01.jpg

BigCache02.jpg

Now, If I can find somewhere to put one.... That would be a lot of digging. :laughing:

There are two which qualify as the largest caches that I have found, as follows:

• One was an abandoned Volkswagen bug located in a forest. It was located in a Southern or Southwestern state. I do not wanna give away any more details, as it could spoil the cache for future finders!
  • The other -- and this cache has since been, for so-called "national security reasons", entirely archived and the slate swept clean -- was an entire ancient abandoned pre-Egyptian city complete with remnants of advanced technologies, located a quarter mile beneath Mt. Shasta in California. An elderly cacher, no longer with us, had stumbled upon a tunnel leading to the city and had proceeded to make the entire city a multi-stage cache (he simply told the reviewer that it was a "cave cache", with the first stage located a quarter-mile into the "tunnel".) Unfortunately, as soon as the guvvamint found out about the city and its amazing remnants (that would be about mid-2006), they made the entire thing top-secret, blocked all public access and then the MIB visited Groundspeak HQ and all traces of the listing were quietly and entirely removed from the site. Last time I visited the area, the mouth of the tunnel had been dynamited and covered over (same as happened with the ancient underground pre-Egyptian city on the UT/CO border in 1992), and there no trace left of the whole thing. I assume that the city itself is still in place beneath the earth, but who knows? In fact, there exists to this day a Platinum members-only cache (traditional, ammo can) at the site of the dynamited tunnel entrance, serving as a commemorative for the entire short-lived archaeological cache.
    Sadly, I suspect that even what little information I have posted here may net me yet another unwelcome midnight visit from the Men In Black and yet another session with... no... I cannot talk about it... it hurts to even think of those things...

As for largish caches, but not so large as the caches mentioned above, I have found two 5 gallon buckets, one on the ID/WY border and the other in MD. I have also been within a few miles of the Big Boy cache in MI, back in Fall of 2006, but it had just been disabled for the winter, and so I did not try to seek it.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I was repairing a computer in the local theatre department at the college I work at and saw a set piece that was covered with fake sticks, leaves, etc to make it look like a woodland setting. The thing was a box 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide on a side. I thought, man would that make a great cache!!!

Alas, they wouldn't let me have it. Ah well.