Conquering your DNF feature

-Ript2Shrds-

I thought it would be a good idea to have an option where you can "Conquer" your DNF's instead of deleting all of your DNF logs from a cache page to keep your DNF's true. I like reading back on my DNF's, sometimes they are better than the actual "Found it" logs.

I never have deleted a DNF, but my list is getting long and my DNF's that I've actually found are getting mixed in so badly it's hard to keep track.

Maybe a check box to the left of each cache you did not find, under the "show - didn't find it" page. Click the check box for the ones you've finally found..or "conquered".

This is just an idea to keep things organized a little better.

Edited by ript2shrds

This is the first I've heard of deleting DNF logs. I leave mine in place, and I like to read other peoples' DNFs because they can clue me in to what I'm doing wrong at a cache.

Exactly, I would hate to see cachers deleting their DNF logs. Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Conquered" option to keep cachers from wanting to do that?

I never Delete, or Edit my DNF logs. I don't know why anyone would do that since it changes both the cacher's history, and the history of the cache.

This isn't what I'm asking anyone to do.

I'm suggesting that a feature be put into the site where your DNF's can be shown as "Conquered" or Found. Your logs will still be displayed as DNF..but on your "Show - didn't find it" page, there would be an indicator that you had finally found your DNF. Maybe a green check mark, a green line through it...or something like that. Just to keep your DNF's organized, showing that you had conquered your previous DNF.

Edited by ript2shrds

I think the OP's point is to be able to use the "show my DNFs" on the account page to keep track of what caches he/she is working on finding. The "my DNFs" includes caches which the user later found. The desire is to have a list of caches DNF-ed and not later found.

tozainamboku's approach is, to me, the most flexible way to address this. If you keep a bookmark list of "DNFs to rectify", then you can populate it with exactly what you want. In this situation, the idea would be to add a DNF and remove a find. But what about that DNF on vacation to a place you'll never go back to again? You probably don't want that on your "DNFs to rectify" either, nor the one that led you into a back alley with lots of garbage and broken glass. If your "DNFs to rectify" list is too long to manage manually, consider whether you really are going to try to rectify all those DNFs, or if you really are happier just going on to other places.

I just did a breakdown on my DNF list. I've logged 24 DNFs. I'm surprised it's not more ... Of these, I found 6 later, may try again on 11, am unlikely to retry 6, and 1 has been archived. This seems to me more like a bookmark kind of thing.

Edward

I just did a breakdown on my DNF list. I've logged 24 DNFs. I'm surprised it's not more ... Of these, I found 6 later, may try again on 11, am unlikely to retry 6, and 1 has been archived. This seems to me more like a bookmark kind of thing.

We have a shared bookmark list of our DNFs (here). We keep them all together in a single list, in chronological order, and add one of three icons to each entry:

icon_smile_question.gif = we probably should go back and look for these ones again.

icon_smile.gif = we eventually went back and found these.

icon_smile_sad.gif = we're not going back: they've been archived, or they are too far away, or there's something about them we don't like.

We just added our 111th entry yesterday :grin:

As of now, I have 219 DNF logs in total, 69 caches for which my DNFs are "unresolved," and 73 caches where I returned later and found the cache. How do I know this so readily? I've been keeping this information on a bookmark list since shortly after that feature was introduced. Follow the link in my signature line to see the list. It took me just part of an evening to set up, and now I just maintain it by remembering to create a bookmark right after I log each DNF (like last night).

I love telling and sharing and reading DNF stories. I wish there was a way to see someone's DNFs just like you can see their finds.

I love "conquering" DNF's, regardless of the distance from home. I resolved one in Las Vegas more than a year later on my next visit there. I don't mind the fact that lots of the DNFs are in places I'm not likely to visit ever again, like Chicago IL or Rocky Mount NC or Jacksonville FL. They are still part of my history, and it's fun to read everyone else's logs when the notifications come in.

I would never delete a DNF log. The only deleting that I do is to remove a cache from my bookmark list once I've conquered the DNF, or when the cache is archived.

All that being said, I don't see a need for the feature requested in this thread. If it's of interest to note that a DNF is conquered, you can go back and modify your log. Example: "EDIT: see my log dated November 25, 2007, where I found the cache and conquered this DNF."

We have a shared bookmark list of our DNFs (here). We keep them all together in a single list, in chronological order, and add one of three icons to each entry:

icon_smile_question.gif = we probably should go back and look for these ones again.

icon_smile.gif = we eventually went back and found these.

icon_smile_sad.gif = we're not going back: they've been archived, or they are too far away, or there's something about them we don't like.

We just added our 111th entry yesterday :grin:

Wow... I never knew that you could use img tags in a bookmark list. That's an excellent idea!

Edited by DavidMac

As a premium member, I keep track of my DNFs by adding them to a bookmark list. When I find the cache I delete it from the bookmark list. I guess I could have another list for "conquered" if I wanted to keep track of the caches I DNF'd and later found.

I use a bookmark list as well to keep track of DNF's. Once I find it, the cache comes off the list. Another added benefit is that I can set the bookmark to notify me when caches on the list are logged. That way I can see if it was just me or if others are having issues as well.

As a premium member, I keep track of my DNFs by adding them to a bookmark list. When I find the cache I delete it from the bookmark list. I guess I could have another list for "conquered" if I wanted to keep track of the caches I DNF'd and later found.

I use a bookmark list as well to keep track of DNF's. Once I find it, the cache comes off the list. Another added benefit is that I can set the bookmark to notify me when caches on the list are logged. That way I can see if it was just me or if others are having issues as well.

This is what I do. Some of the caches on that Bookmark list are ones I have no interest in returning to because I saw that location once and that was enough. It is interesting to read the logs by other people who either found, or didn't find, those caches, however. :grin:

I would leave them and just add the found log later.

This would still not help in organizing your DNF's in the "Show - didn't find it" page

This is an angle I have not thought about before.

You are right. A DNF that is later found is FOUND and no longer a DNF. However at one time it was. The concept of removing the DNF icon and replacing it with a "Conquored" (can't spell that...) Icon has some merit.

I never Delete, or Edit my DNF logs. I don't know why anyone would do that since it changes both the cacher's history, and the history of the cache.

This isn't what I'm asking anyone to do.

I'm suggesting that a feature be put into the site where your DNF's can be shown as "Conquered" or Found. Your logs will still be displayed as DNF..but on your "Show - didn't find it" page, there would be an indicator that you had finally found your DNF. Maybe a green check mark, a green line through it...or something like that. Just to keep your DNF's organized, showing that you had conquered your previous DNF.

Sounds like New Math to me.

Log the log of whatever happened that day. Is that such a problem for people?

We proudly log our DNFs and happily log our finds. Wouldn't ever consider changing either one. In our early days we did go back and modify some of our DNFs and made them finds after we signed the log. The trouble is we were practicing a bit of revisionist history and decided that isn't the way we want to play the game.

Boy, I hardly ever post in these forums but I couldn't resist this thread since it's right up my alley...

I don't see any need for a change in DNF posting on a cache. I log all my DNF's and like Lep, would love to see DNF's by others but alas, there is no option for that. Like others here I keep all my DNF's on cache pages and just add a "Find" log if I make it back to "Conquer" it. I don't make a big deal on getting back to a DNF but I have cleared up all near me, at least the ones that weren't archived. I have to admit that a couple far, far from home were nice to find on a second try though.

I have a bookmark for my first 100 DNF's but that got tiring so I quit updating it at that point. I'm now up to 491 DNF's so I'm real close to a very big milestone. Woohoo! :)

Edited by Tprints

I personally will go back and edit my DNF log. I date the text of the original entry and leave it unchanged. Then I add a dated found it entry below. I change the icon and date to the current date. Doing this documents my earlier attempt(s) and makes it possible for someone to go back and piece together the history of the cache if they are so inclined. If I make several failed attempts at a cache I document them all in one log entry with dates added in the text. I feel this is a much more "honest" way of logging a cache than one entry that says something like: "Third times a charm...." with no DNF logs at all.