Mapsource City Navigator or Streetpilot?

palmfish

I bought my first GPS unit (Garmin Vista HCx) two days ago and my original plan was to purchase City Navigator software to round out its capabilities for geocaching and general traveling.

If I decided to do this, I think I would outfit my Vista with City Navigator, a windshield mount, and 12v car adapter to make it a serviceable street navigator. Total price would be about $150.

However, browsing online, I see I could purchase a refurbished low-end Streetpilot for between $110 and $170 (depending on model). A Streetpilot would include the software and car accessories, plus have a larger screen and voice prompts. This got me thinking...

Why would anyone EVER purchase City Navigator for a handheld when a Streetpilot (especially a refurbished unit) can be purchased for about the same amount of money? I'd appreciate some wisdom from folks that have use both setups to help me consider the pros/cons of each option and make a choice.

Great forums by the way! I've been lurking for a weeks learning and looking forward to participating. I finally went out yesterday and found my first cache.

The low end streetpilot has an older version of CN, does not have the high-performance receiver chip your hcx does.

The thing to understand about CN is that since it is locked software it's value is tied to whatever unit it is installed in. If it's installed in an old refurb streetpilot its street value is almost nil.

People rush out and buy the newest CN for their unit so they can get the latest/greatest. I don't.

you make an interesting point and a good question. I have a 60Csx and am currently thinking of getting City Nav for when I'm driving around. The base map doesn't have nearly the street level detail I want or need and in some cases is woefully outdated too... So if I can get a whole second unit, just for the car and with voice prompt & bigger screen etc. for the same or cheaper than just the software for my 60Csx... why wouldn't I do that instead? Hmmmmmmm?

Only thing that I can think of is portability? I have several cars & a motorcycle and would want to move the unit to which ever one I was taking that day... How portable is the Street Pilot? Other than that, the newer map version that was mentioned above... anything else?

Also, I have a vista cx, if I got the North Am. City Nav software, could I use it on both of my units or is it only good for one unit? I also have a desktop & laptop, cold I install it on both of those too?

thanks,

biGjOhn

You can put the City Navigator maps on as many computers as you use, but you can only put the maps on one GPS unit. This was a change from Garmin's City Select maps, which could be put on two different GPS units.

Depending on where you live, and travel, you may, or may not, need all the newest road and POI information found on the latest City Navigator maps.

So if I can get a whole second unit, just for the car and with voice prompt & bigger screen etc. for the same or cheaper than just the software for my 60Csx... why wouldn't I do that instead? Hmmmmmmm?

If you got one of the Black Friday deals you might have been able to get one cheaper than the software. Prices are dropping, but a decent unit will still run you more than the maps for the 60CSx.

Only thing that I can think of is portability? I have several cars & a motorcycle and would want to move the unit to which ever one I was taking that day... How portable is the Street Pilot?

They are easy to move. A nuvi is even easier, because you can slide it into your pocket. My wife slips ours into her purse.

Well, I just bought City Navigator V8 for my Vista HCX and am installing it on my PC right now. I paid $105 for it.

I could have bought this remanufactured Streetpilot i3 from Amazon.com for $120...

http://www.amazon.com/Streetpilot-Reman-Fu...6449&sr=8-2

31n3ARi-CdL._SS500_.jpg

In the end, I decided I wanted it all in one unit and I also wanted the superior receiver chipset and current "City Navigator" vs. "City Select" mapping software. I still think the low-end Garmin car GPS units are a screaming deal and may yet pick one up...

Edited by palmfish

You can put the City Navigator maps on as many computers as you use, but you can only put the maps on one GPS unit. This was a change from Garmin's City Select maps, which could be put on two different GPS units.

Depending on where you live, and travel, you may, or may not, need all the newest road and POI information found on the latest City Navigator maps.

Thanks for the scoop... just out of curiosity, how do they know? Is it like when using mapsource, you just click on the map tool and then the maps that you want to load onto your GPSr? If so, how do they know if I do it with my 60Csx one day and then my etrex the next? Kinda sucks that I would have to buy 2 copies if I own 2 Garmin units... :-(

Also, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I would probably want if not NEED the current maps... Living on the Left coast (Sacramento) and building has been boombing over the last 5 years or so, so the current version would be good...

thanks,

biGjOhn

Hello,

I read the following:

MetroGuide = City Navigator without autorouting. Same map info, same poi.

It is possible to get autorouting on the GPS using sendmap with MetroGouide.

It’s no copy protection on MetroGuide. (Old MG v4 did have autorouting)

Entire post located here: (Post #15: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141608)

So what is the deal? What’s the difference (other than above) between MetroGuide & City Navigator? What is auto routing? I assume being able to have a route from point to point plotted for you? If I do not need or want auto routing, then I should / could get MetroGuide instead of City Navigator? That would allow me to upload the maps to both of my GPSr’s? Anything else different about the two?

Also, I read that I can upgrade to US Topo 2008 NT if I have a previous version of US Topo and that is cheaper than buying a FULL Version of US Topo. Is that true? If so, will the upgrade work with my old version US Topo V 3.02?

I have Mapsource US Topo version 3.02. (OLD!) With the current version 2008, what new features etc. will it have? What will it lose if anything? I.E. I know that many USGS paper maps that get updated do not have old trails etc. on them anymore that are not maintained anymore that used to appear on the maps before the current revision. So if I upgraded to US Topo 2008, could I lose some of those “old trails” and map info.?

Thanks,

biGjOhn

So what is the deal? What’s the difference (other than above) between MetroGuide & City Navigator? What is auto routing? I assume being able to have a route from point to point plotted for you? If I do not need or want auto routing, then I should / could get MetroGuide instead of City Navigator?

Many people assume they don't want autorouting then come back later and decide they do. If your GPSr is not autorouting-capable then the decision is made for you already: CN would be a waste. Even if you did massage MG into autorouting there are subtle differences (e.g. MG does not understand how to route roundabouts/traffic-circles).

Autorouting is building routes on-the-fly in the GPSr rather than the PC. This requires both the GPSr and the mapset to have autorouting capabilities.

More, and probably better, information is available on Garmin's page where detailed road maps are described.

That would allow me to upload the maps to both of my GPSr’s?

You would technically be able to upload to two GPSes since it is not a locked mapset. There may be more subtleties to the answer but I would consult the EULA for the map product you are considering.

Many people assume they don't want autorouting then come back later and decide they do. If your GPSr is not autorouting-capable then the decision is made for you already: CN would be a waste. Even if you did massage MG into autorouting there are subtle differences (e.g. MG does not understand how to route roundabouts/traffic-circles).

Autorouting is building routes on-the-fly in the GPSr rather than the PC. This requires both the GPSr and the mapset to have autorouting capabilities.

More, and probably better, information is available on Garmin's page where detailed road maps are described.

You would technically be able to upload to two GPSes since it is not a locked mapset. There may be more subtleties to the answer but I would consult the EULA for the map product you are considering.

Thank you for the data. My unit can autoroute and I may find some use for it in the future… even though I haven’t yet? My primary reason for wanting to get a map program is just to enhance the Map data that is on the BaseMaps… I.E. I want more detail of streets and more current road data. I have had the unit for about a year now and haven’t used (or even knew I could use) the Auto route function, so that is less of a concern for me then being able to have better maps on both of my units… Not to mention, If I go City Nav, I ONLY get it on one unit, so would need to buy another copy for my second unit. If I go Metro Guide and it works for me, I’m done, and have it on both units. If not, then I can still buy City Nav and have it on one unit and Metro on the other… (my wife & I can switch units accordingly to where we are going).

Does anyone know if MG is current map info.? Or is it an older program? I don’t see it on Garmin’s Website under Maps for my GPSMap 60Csx?

I love my GPSr but man you have to learn so much and do so much research to use these dang things…. I feel like I’m in school again!

Thanks,

biGjOhn

We use City Navigator Version 8 on our Map60 CX and it can be used on 2 GPS. I just loaded it on my wife's Christmas present, a Map60 CSX with the 2nd unlock. They work great in the truck, wouldn't be without it now. AND they go with us on the trail.

WHOA... so you are saying that City Nav 08 comes with 2 unlock codes? Or you can buy additional unlock codes?

thanks,

Does anyone know if MG is current map info.? Or is it an older program? I don’t see it on Garmin’s Website under Maps for my GPSMap 60Csx?

MGNAv8 is current, as current as anything else.

To the smooth cat: Garmin's policy on the free 2nd CN unlock has changed this year and this has caused much gnashing of teeth. I do not buy locked software so I have no direct experience. My impression is that 2nd unlocks have to be purchased nowadays.

Myself, I prefer a dedicated car nav unit with voice for driving, and dedicated handheld units for when I'm on foot. I've found I don't really like the handheld units for vehicle use because of the necessary compromises in trying to make a single unit that does everything. Of course you encounter the same sort of difficulties trying to use a vehicle unit for handheld use. As for upgrading the software, While picking up christmas presents, I just purchased a couple Garmin C330 units for $127 each at my local Sams club. They have CN8 pre-loaded, and work considerably better for street navigation than an etrex or 60 series in my opinion. I also got a C530 at Cabelas for $199. Same software, but slightly better chipset and display. You've got to love the fact that today you can buy a decent handheld unit and a seperate unit for you vehicle for less cash than what I paid for my old Magellan 2000 back in 1995

ok, so now I'm confussed....? :grin: one guy says he got 2 unlock codes for CN :that he just bought for his wife's Crimas present" - so I assume it's CN 08? And another guy says that now CN only comes with 1 unlock code? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECENT PURCHASE EXPIERIENCE WITH CN 08 that could tell me how unlock codes it came with? And or, how much does it cost for an additional code?

thanks,

biGjOhn

ok, so now I'm confussed....? :lol: one guy says he got 2 unlock codes for CN :that he just bought for his wife's Crimas present" - so I assume it's CN 08? And another guy says that now CN only comes with 1 unlock code? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECENT PURCHASE EXPIERIENCE WITH CN 08 that could tell me how unlock codes it came with? And or, how much does it cost for an additional code?

thanks,

biGjOhn

v8- 2 unlock codes (older version)

v2008- 1 unlock code (latest and greates)

Well, I just bought City Navigator V8 for my Vista HCX and am installing it on my PC right now. I paid $105 for it.

I could have bought this remanufactured Streetpilot i3 from Amazon.com for $120...

http://www.amazon.com/Streetpilot-Reman-Fu...6449&sr=8-2

31n3ARi-CdL._SS500_.jpg

In the end, I decided I wanted it all in one unit and I also wanted the superior receiver chipset and current "City Navigator" vs. "City Select" mapping software. I still think the low-end Garmin car GPS units are a screaming deal and may yet pick one up...

I have an i3 with North america NT v8 and I used the second unlock code from it to put on my 60csx. That in my opinion gives you the best of both worlds. So if your just driving around you can use the i3, If your caching, use the handheld and let it guide you there. You can also download the waypoints to the i3 if you wanted. I just wish there was a way to put in coordinates on the i3, if there is I haven't found it yet. As long as the streetpilot came with discs (doesn't have all the maps preloaded) and the map version is v8 or earlier than you get the second unlock code. I didn't even have the yellow slip of paper, but I called up Garmin and they gave me the second unlock code. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, but maybe someone else can benefit.

Edited by sanramonhunter

ok, thanks. I think I'm starting to get a little bit more of a handle on all of this, SOooo confusing, man I wish it was easier! I can't even imagine my parents trying to figure this all out LOL! I am curious however, when someone purchases the CN disk (CD or DVD BTW?) it is a read only piece of media, right? So how does it "lock" onto your Units serial number? I mean, say you you legally bought the software and only had 1 unlock code with it and use it on your eTrex vista. You then sell the vista & upgrade your GPS to Map60Csx, you have to buy all new software for that one? Seems kinda crapy and "redonkulous" to me? Is that right? If so, how does it "know"? Internet registration? If that is how, then is the software useless to anyone who doesn't have an internet connection?

Can anyone "splain" to me how this all works?

spanks,

biGjOhn

Those low-end StreetPilots don't come with the disks, and thus do not have a second unlock code no map what the map version is.

The i3 does comes with a disk They only ship with 128M of memory. So how else would they work. The i5 may not come with a disk because it's preloaded. The i2 and i3 aren't preloaded.

I should have said the current low-end StreetPilot models don't come with the disks. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this was what the OP was referring to.

ok, thanks. I think I'm starting to get a little bit more of a handle on all of this, SOooo confusing, man I wish it was easier! I can't even imagine my parents trying to figure this all out LOL! I am curious however, when someone purchases the CN disk (CD or DVD BTW?) it is a read only piece of media, right? So how does it "lock" onto your Units serial number? I mean, say you you legally bought the software and only had 1 unlock code with it and use it on your eTrex vista. You then sell the vista & upgrade your GPS to Map60Csx, you have to buy all new software for that one? Seems kinda crapy and "redonkulous" to me? Is that right? If so, how does it "know"? Internet registration? If that is how, then is the software useless to anyone who doesn't have an internet connection?

spanks,

biGjOhn

The current CN maps are on DVD not CD. When you purchase the mapping software, you will receive an unlock code. You run the map installation program on your computer to load the maps to your GPS unit. You enter the unlock code in addition to the unit serial number and the two are LOCKED together. You cannot load the maps to another GPS unit. And yes, typically this information is recorded/registered to the myGarmin website.

If you "buy" software, you aren't purchasing it. You are purchasing a LICENSE to use the software in the manner described in the license. If you don't agree to the terms, you don't install the software. The terms for the current versions of City Navigator stipulate that you may install the maps to a single GPS unit.

Unlock codes are CONSUMABLE items. Once they are used, you can't un-use them. They are locked to the unit and stay with the unit. If you buy a new unit, you need to purchase a new unlock code.

That's the way it works. Like it or not.

spanks,

biGjOhn

The current CN maps are on DVD not CD. When you purchase the mapping software, you will receive an unlock code. You run the map installation program on your computer to load the maps to your GPS unit. You enter the unlock code in addition to the unit serial number and the two are LOCKED together. You cannot load the maps to another GPS unit. And yes, typically this information is recorded/registered to the myGarmin website.

If you "buy" software, you aren't purchasing it. You are purchasing a LICENSE to use the software in the manner described in the license. If you don't agree to the terms, you don't install the software. The terms for the current versions of City Navigator stipulate that you may install the maps to a single GPS unit.

Unlock codes are CONSUMABLE items. Once they are used, you can't un-use them. They are locked to the unit and stay with the unit. If you buy a new unit, you need to purchase a new unlock code.

That's the way it works. Like it or not.

Thanks for the scoop. I guess they need to protect themselves from piracy somehow but dang that sucks that you can only use their software ONE TIME... Esp. sucks if you get a "starter" GPS then upgrade. Too bad they can't figure out a way to just license it to one person for all of their personal units. Oh well.

thanks for the skinny.

As stated above, When you purchase the mapping software, you will receive an unlock code. You run the map installation program on your computer to load the maps to your GPS unit. You enter the unlock code in addition to the unit serial number and the two are LOCKED together. You cannot load the maps to another GPS unit.

The unlock code combination is written to the card along with the maps. If you insert it into another GPS unit, you will get a message stating that the maps are locked.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

As stated above, When you purchase the mapping software, you will receive an unlock code. You run the map installation program on your computer to load the maps to your GPS unit. You enter the unlock code in addition to the unit serial number and the two are LOCKED together. You cannot load the maps to another GPS unit.

The unlock code combination is written to the card along with the maps. If you insert it into another GPS unit, you will get a message stating that the maps are locked.

In addition to thanking you for the education, thank you for your endurance.