Trading Ediquete...Umm~ Do's and Dont's?

007BigD

Just wondering if sometimes I dont make a trade more difficult than it really is. If someone was to send me a trade request, I will usually check out their trades and seekers and see if we cant wrap up anything else at the same time...The 2 birds 1 stone kinda thing.

This takes more time than just exchanging addy's and sending the coin they want off to them.

Would you rather just keep it simple and negotiate the trade you proposed or do you mind setting up multiple coin trades at the same time.

Are your trades usually pretty simple? I havent had any problems, but the question arrised while in the midst of a recent trade.

As with this, are their any other peives or principles you would like to see people practicing or avoiding more while negotiating a trade?...Dunno, but figured there might be somethin someone wanted to say about somethin. :ph34r:

I like to trade, and it is never a problem when someone suggests a second trade while we are working the first one. The way I see it, I'm getting coins I want, and only having to do one envelope. Postage is also less if you drop an additional coin in an envelope you are mailing anyway.

But after having 3 bad trades right together, I'm generally a little more careful with trading more than one coin at a time. I'll do it if it is someone I've traded in the past, or if they have a good reputation.

Edited by MustangJoni

First of all, be honest with the person you are trading with. If you are being sent an offer for something and don't like the trade offer, don't just blow them off, say you would rather not trade.

I have found, that being honest about coins is the best remedy for good trades. And if you don't know about the coin offered and don't have a reliable 'coin referee' to ask if they would trade coin X for coin Y, don't trade it.

However, if you are fortunate enough to strike up a trade with someone and in the course of checking out their coinlists, it's not unheard of to ask for multiple trades... yeah, sometimes it takes a few days to iron out the particulars, but in the end, everyone is happy.

A good idea for multi coin trades is take your time - make clear what you want - make clear what you are going to be sending, and double confirm with the trader that they too agree to the trade.

Following this practice, we have completed multiple trades for multiple coins (6, 7, 8, 10 & 14 coin trades). Yes, you read it right - 14 coin trade.

There is alot of trust involved with big trades, so, yeah - reputation comes into play (somewhat). For my first multi-coin trade and not knowing the person I was trading with well, I just looked at their profile. There's alot you can learn from the trackables page on a profile with a new (or newer) trader.

Wanted to clarify this section - If I were to go by the Forum 'mini' profile, I would see how long a poster has been on the Forums, and how often the person has posted here. That's a big factor. Depending on how long they were a member, and how active they were on the forums, I would base my decision on that.

I don't know if I have answered your question about simplicity, because when you get in the double digits for coin trades it's not about simplicity - it's about accuracy.

~J

Edited by CinemaBoxers

First of all, be honest with the person you are trading with. If you are being sent an offer for something and don't like the trade offer, don't just blow them off, say you would rather not trade.

I have found, that being honest about coins is the best remedy for good trades. And if you don't know about the coin offered and don't have a reliable 'coin referee' to ask if they would trade coin X for coin Y, don't trade it.

However, if you are fortunate enough to strike up a trade with someone and in the course of checking out their coinlists, it's not unheard of to ask for multiple trades... yeah, sometimes it takes a few days to iron out the particulars, but in the end, everyone is happy.

A good idea for multi coin trades is take your time - make clear what you want - make clear what you are going to be sending, and double confirm with the trader that they too agree to the trade.

Following this practice, we have completed multiple trades for multiple coins (6, 7, 8, 10 & 14 coin trades). Yes, you read it right - 14 coin trade.

There is alot of trust involved with big trades, so, yeah - reputation comes into play (somewhat). For my first multi-coin trade and not knowing the person I was trading with well, I just looked at their profile. There's alot you can learn from the trackables page on a profile with a new (or newer) trader.

If I were to go by the Forum 'mini' profile, I would see that (for example only) Mustang Joni has been on the Forums for quite awhile now (2005) and has posted here over 1300 times. That's a big factor. Would I trade with this person? Probably. (Keep in mind, this is just an example).

I don't know if I have answered your question about simplicity, because when you get in the double digits for coin trades it's not about simplicity - it's about accuracy.

~J

And you make a good point about reputations. The three bad trades I had, none of them had much to do with the Geocoin Forums, or has trading lists. One I knew personally, but has a reputation for being a bit disorganized. But since she wanted the coin so bad, I went ahead (against my better judgement) and traded it. I guess I can now look at it as a "gift" LOL

I do think that the date attributed to me (2005) is when I joined GC, but I did start getting involved in the forums around the end of '05.

Edited by MustangJoni

I like multi-coin trades. My very first trade ever was for 2 geocoins (3, if you count the 1 I held for a future trade).

I personally am too shy to ever ask to trade for more than 1 geocoin at a time, but thankfully there are some GREAT people out there like you, 007BigD, who ask if a multi-coin trade could be worked out. I have been 100% satisfied with every multi-coin trade I have ever worked out and I hope to make more in of them in the future! I think the most I ever traded at once was 3 for 3 and that was with someone who I trusted and who I hope trusted me.

Edited by TokyoBlossom

I have a couple recent trades. The first was 1 for 1 and got done in about 3 emails. The second was a set I wanted and they wanted a Morpho. they looked at other coins I have produced or will be and seuggested something. to make this a bit shorter, after 8-10 emails we have a trade, 4 coins and a set of micros, for 3 coins and 2 sets of minis (1.25"). I enjoyed working with both people and would trade with them again. I don't mind doing either.

Well.. I'll chime in with my two cents here.

Honestly - I usually have a group of people I mainly trade with - and, its usually multi coin trades. But, if I get an email - I'll pretty much take a chance on anyone - and see how it goes.

I try and be VERY prompt with mailing trades, but - I would ALWAYS want an email if a trade was expected from me and was NOT received promptly.

I likely will go out on a limb here, but to date i have never had a trade ever go wrong or be burned by any other cacher who I made deals with.

Quite the opposite, everyone has been so accomidating, including when things go wrong (which happens) and communication is open which seems to go a long way in trading with other cachers. If you let people know things are amiss, then my experience has been of the supportive nature.

I've done so many trades over the last few years, I've lost count. On a couple of occasions, I've traded up to eight coins at a time. Only once when I first started trading did I not receive my trade after I had sent mine.

If the person has a few more coins that I am looking for, I don't mind doing a multiple trade as long as that person is reputable. If it is someone new, I,ll start with a single trade and see how that goes.

I say be honest with the people you trade with and that honesty will go a long way. When I receive coins, I always send back an e-mail thanking the person and letting them know that their coin or coins have arrived and I enjoy receiving one also.

Sometimes, mail is slow and it takes time for the package to arrive. If a person inquires on a late arrival, I make sure to let them know that if after a reasonable time, the coin is actually missing, I am willing to replace it.

well, i'm new here (only 80posts :laughing: ) and i'm envolved in a few trades for the first time (excluding the ones during the math trade).

I've done it a littlr bit complicated, i know :ph34r: . And they are still rolling, i send e-mail, and reeive email, browse listings, and send e-mails :anicute:

What i want to say is that when someones goes in a trade and if it is internetional, there is a great anxiety on the results.

I've found greats collectors, and i hope that my 80 posts never be a problem. I wish they all work fine on both sides.

pl

well, i'm new here (only 80posts :anicute: ) and i'm envolved in a few trades for the first time (excluding the ones during the math trade).

I've done it a littlr bit complicated, i know :ph34r: . And they are still rolling, i send e-mail, and reeive email, browse listings, and send e-mails :laughing:

What i want to say is that when someones goes in a trade and if it is internetional, there is a great anxiety on the results.

I've found greats collectors, and i hope that my 80 posts never be a problem. I wish they all work fine on both sides.

pl

I hope I haven't led you to believe that because of your amount of posts, or that someone might be new to caching, that they shouldn't trade with them.

I love trading, and I really enjoy trading with new people. I always feel that every trade you make builds relationships. :anicute: I'm just going to be a little wary of multi trades with people that I don't know very well.

I have done many trades and lot of them do evolve into multiple trades.

The funny thing is of the deals that I have done that have had problems have always been with traders that have been around awhile. it seems these people drop off the face of the earth and will never email you back. I am less worried about the coins as I am about what happened.

I've never had a trade go bad with a new trader.

Team Sand Dollar

I hope I haven't led you to believe that because of your amount of posts, or that someone might be new to caching, that they shouldn't trade with them.

I love trading, and I really enjoy trading with new people. I always feel that every trade you make builds relationships. :ph34r: I'm just going to be a little wary of multi trades with people that I don't know very well.

I know what you mean, One person I traded with has a great status here on the forums, but I had never dealt with, so I went ahead and sent them a couple of coins they wanted with the understanding they would come up with something to send me later. It's been a few months and I see them getting plenty of coins but no offers from them to me. The last time I emailed them to see what they had, they acted like we never talked before and then didn't return my follow-up email.

I've traded with many 'Newbies' "Low post people" whatever you want to call them and they have keep their end of the deal. I've even sent many coins to people that say they will come up with something and they have.

So I guess a lesson is learned here, just because someone has status here does not mean they will keep their end of the deal.

And before someone ask, no I will not say who, I just mark it down as experience and add them to a list so I remember later not to deal with them.

I love multi coin trades...the more the merrier...and I always look to see if there is more we can trade to save on postage...why not?? I have only had two trades go bad in my entire trading life. One of them knows about it and the other does not because I haven't told them I never received their coin. I just wrote it off as a gift. well actually I wrote them both off as gifts. It makes it easier that way.

My biggest pet peeve is when I receive no response from someone if they are not interested in trading. I'd rather hear no thanks then nothing at all. Reason why? When I offer someone a trade and only have one of those coins...it goes into limbo until I hear back....so if I don't hear back then I can't trade the coin in the meantime. I usually give it 2-3 weeks and then it goes back into my trading bin again. That being said, while it is my biggest coin trading pet peeve...it doesn't get in the way of my life or anything LOL :ph34r:

I love multi coin trades...the more the merrier...and I always look to see if there is more we can trade to save on postage...why not??

Ditto---we love multi coin trades too. In fact, one of our most successful multi trades was with Lori! Who doesn't like getting sevearl coins from their seeking list in one package???? Saving on shipping is always a bonus!

I love multi trades! It means receiving big coin packages in the mail! drool.gif:ph34r:

Being so far away from 'the action' (so to speak!) multi coins in one package is a lot cheaper to send. I have only had one multi-coin trade go awry, and as the rest have sad, I marked it off as a gift, but wont trade anymore with that person.

Being a little naive I presumed multi trades were fine so I usually ask for them. I've made trades of up to 11 coins in one trade, and have been very happy with them all. One of my favourite traders almost never comes onto the forums, so I'm happy to give anyone with a trading list a chance :laughing:

Sometimes if people dont reply to me, I will send a message through their www.geocaching.com profile as this email address should have been marked as 'safe' for their email servers, and wont go immediately into the junk folder. If I haven't replied to any emails, this is a good way to get hold of me! :anicute: I adore trading! :anicute:

Glad to have this subject. I too am new to the collecting and trading world. So far I agree and practice what has been stated so far.

1-Please and thank you go a long way.

2-Try to introduce mylsef such as: This is Accordiongal from Minnesota...... end with thanks for your consideration.

Sometimes I will send a trade request from work email (yes, I get my work done first), feel that it is imporatant to introduce myself then, don't want to scare someone!

3-Carbon copy yourself with the trade/responses. Saves on searching for sent items.

4-Clearly state what the trade involves. Coin A for Coin B.

5-Include a note with the trade shipment, either handwritten or computer printed about the trade. For me, the arrival is less of a mystery.

6-When your trader coin arrives, send back an email that the coin has arrived.

7-Include please and thank you.

I have refused trades with reasons, such as trade request seems excessive to me and declined.

What I would like is a "resource" for the value, rarity, and information about some coins.

Being new to the trading world, I get frustrated when searching for a coin that is "Hard to find". If I don't have a equal coin, and seem to run into a dead end. That is extremely frustrating and makes me wonder how I can every get the desired item.

Trading :ph34r:

I go through phases of doing a bit then doing none cause I'm always playing catch up. Most of the trade requests I receive end up being requests for multiple coin trades and I don't mind if people ask. If you don't ask you'll never know.

There are only a few things that bother me when it comes to trading:

If someone doesn't get a trade from me within 2 weeks (within US) I want to be told. I can only speak for myself... I'm really busy most of the time and sometimes I actually forget to write something down which results in me forgetting to send it (doesn't happen much but it does happen). I mail out trades as I can afford to do so, I send them out in small groups once a week, so I usually run 2 weeks behind (depending on the amount of emails coming in). So I think people should never be shy about emailing me and saying 'hey I didn't get your coin.' I always assume someone got it unless told otherwise.

I think the only time I wouldn't do a multi-coin trade is if the name was unfamiliar. I'd keep it to a 1 coin trade for starters and I would probably wait until their coin arrived and then mail my coin back in their bubbler (although some may not agree with doing it this way).

Other than that, I don't worry too much about things. I'm pretty laid back about trading. The coins get here when they get here and I try to get them out within 2 weeks (lol, to the dismay for those who are highly excitable about getting their coins quickly).

(Off topic-selling/shipping always results in shipping the next day or day after, I don't mess around there :anicute: ).

My 2 geocents :laughing:

I trade constantly. To trade effectively and efficiently I keep a little logbook with requests, wants, mailed, received etc. I find it's a quick way to jot down a reminder, of course it doesn't stop me from trading for multiples of a coin, but those can easily make it into my traders or sellers piles.

Happy trading!

:grin:

Thanks for everyones 2cents...Thats like 54cents now!

I agree with the responses thing, I would like to have a response even if they are not interested...really no biggie to me. There has been several times where I have waited for responses and when your hopin for a good trade or a trade to accompany a mission your hopin for that trade...especially when it has gone so far as to multiple emails and it is already in motion...Then nothing~????

I usually wont persue the trade if I dont hear back from them.

The only "Trades gone wild"...( :( ) was when I made a 7-8 coin trade from Swedenhawk in Germany~I got all his trades and he never got mine!!!! :( He even said "its not your fault...dont worry bout it" Well I told him I would split the loss with him and I will be sending him 4-5 in place~He even said I could wait a month till I had a certain coin :lol: ...Sucks, cause they were really good coins, which leads me too....

INSURANCE~Next big O fat coin trade I make, I will buy insurance on, especially if going overseas!!!

Other than that, the only problems I have had was proposing coins I have already traded!!! :grin: ...But thats an easy one, I just get rid of my keeper! :lol: ...Recently forgot I traded my Black Laptop trader at GCfest and ended up givin up my keeper to accomodate the trade I offered!!! :D

Sometimes I have a bit of trouble gettin them off in time too :( ...But I always let them know if Im draggin my hiney. Its rough sometimes gettin around to all ya got goin on! :(

I trade constantly. To trade effectively and efficiently I keep a little logbook with requests, wants, mailed, received etc. I find it's a quick way to jot down a reminder, of course it doesn't stop me from trading for multiples of a coin, but those can easily make it into my traders or sellers piles.

Happy trading!

:lol:

Well what can i say, i've done a couple of trades and i've allready feel the need for such logbook. :grin:

I have a suggestion :lol:

Why, just like there is a pinned thread for trades, doesn't appear a Thread where in a simple way, we could all list the trades and if they are suceeded. It should be kept simple, without information on coins, adresses, etc...

example.

trade with - nick

coins sended - Date

coins received - Date

I use GMail's labels to keep track of my trades. When I make a trade and receive an address I attach a "trade pending mailing" label. When I send off that trade I attach a "trade in the mail" (and remove the former label). When I receive the trade I take off the trade in the mail label and attach a "trade received" label and send them an email saying I received their geocoin. It works real good with the label search GMail gives us.

I only remember having two of my coins not received by the other party and was able to send another off right away. I don't remember not receiving any of my end of the trade.

If the trade or sale involves multiples I usually send it special handling so I can have some peace of mind that it got there. I love to trade geocoins.

I had been using Trade Tracker at Geocoin Collecting, and that worked great.

Now, I've built an Access database to track them. If I didn't have access, I'd use an Excel spreadsheet. I like this method, because I can keep those addresses, and just verify it on future trades.

And I keep my traders separate from my keepers. I have a box on my desk with all my traders, and an index card with the list of them and how many I have. As I work a trade, I mark that coin off my index card.

I haven't been on the forums very long (and sometimes have little time to post, or nothing new to contribute)... I have participated in 3 trades recently (1 for 1 as well as multiples). So far everything has gone just fine.

:anicute: I'm ashamed to admit that I've had very little time lately and have 2 or 3 emails requesting trades that I haven't had time to research. I'll get to them by Thursday evening, I promise! :unsure:

I've only done about 2 dozen trades, and only have one pet peeve so far. That has to do with someone agreeing to a trade, and then later backing out because they got a better offer after we'd agreed to the trade (in particular one such trade was initiated by the person who later backed out).

If I make an agreement with someone, I'll hold up my end of the "deal" even if I later receive a better offer. Just my 2 cents.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my coins, listing what they are, how much I paid for the coin and shipping, who/where I received/purchased it from, and the status of the coins. If I sell, trade, or gift away coins I update my database.