Lock & Lock containers

waterwitch2

I was at Walmart today and picked up a few Lock & Lock containers. They look pretty nice for cache containers and they're not too expensive either. I'll be placing a few caches with them soon.

If you can, use Krylon's Fusion for at least the first coat of paint. Paint them inside and out because the paint will scratch and that'll help it keep from showing through. The plastic does become brittle in very cold weather. I've had it break and later leak. They really are nowhere near as durable as an ammo can, but they do come in many more shapes and sizes and can be left see-through if that's what you want. Even when painted, they're must less likely to cause alarm if found by a non-cacher.

They seem to keep the water out nicely in the Pac NW where it rains every 20 minutes. But they might give you some trouble in the "high desert" if that is where you plan to hide them. The Mojave sun is very hard on plastic.

I've got one near my folks house in Mesquite Nevada wrapped in camo tape and under a mesquite bush. Summer temperatures are around 114 degrees during the day and 90 at night. Been there 2 years and is doing great.

I love ammo cans but I like lock n lock next best. They hold up well in East Texas. Eventually a flap may break off and occasionally somebody decides to chew through them (critters not cachers) but that would be the case with any plastic container. I checked on one the other day and saw little tiny gnaw marks in the duct tape but not the container. They keep things dry and in good shape.

Adding cammo duck-brand tape to any plastic container is the best thing to do for extra protection. Paint chips.

I have used both. If the cache is directly exposed to the weather, the paint works far better. The duct tape fades, frays and eventually starts to peel. I use a special clear plastic primer on my Lock n Locks and basically any spray paint over that and have yet to see a problem with chipping.

I use a special clear plastic primer on my Lock n Locks and basically any spray paint over that and have yet to see a problem with chipping.

What is the brand/product name of the primer? I did a straight spray of the Krylon Camo, and it's already chipping.

It's a clear plastic primer called "American Traditions" by Valispar. I get it at either Home Depot or Lowes.

I've tried other plastic primers, including one made by Rustoleum, but the Valispar one is the best by far.

The Krylon Fusion paints made for plastic also seem to work well, but the colors available to me leave something to be desired and Fusion comes in either gloss or satin. If it comes in flat colors it's not sold

in any outlets near me.

So I prefer using the Valispar primer and then using the colors of my choice.

Adding cammo duck-brand tape to any plastic container is the best thing to do for extra protection. Paint chips.

I have used both. If the cache is directly exposed to the weather, the paint works far better. The duct tape fades, frays and eventually starts to peel. I use a special clear plastic primer on my Lock n Locks and basically any spray paint over that and have yet to see a problem with chipping.

We found a cache a few months ago covered with camo tape.... it had faded to a very pretty (and visible) blue!

It's a clear plastic primer called "American Traditions" by Valispar. I get it at either Home Depot or Lowes.

I've tried other plastic primers, including one made by Rustoleum, but the Valispar one is the best by far.

The Krylon Fusion paints made for plastic also seem to work well, but the colors available to me leave something to be desired and Fusion comes in either gloss or satin. If it comes in flat colors it's not sold

in any outlets near me.

So I prefer using the Valispar primer and then using the colors of my choice.

These are some Lock&Locks I've painted along with some stencils I hand cut. I use Krylon camo paint with a first coat of Krylon Fusion (satin black) . It works pretty well but I think I'll try the Valispar primer next time. I've also noticed that the newer cans of Krylon "ultra flat" camo colors say they're made with "Fusion technology" so maybe the primer won't be necessary.

camopaintjobscu2.jpg