Batteries in caches

AtwellFamily

I never mind alkaline cells left in sealed packages, inside a sturdy watertight ziplock plastic bag for protection against water and moisture (at least here on the very damp East Coast of the USA), but I have NEVER understood the silly people who feel the need to leave loose unprotected alkaline cells in a cache container which regularly gets damp, in a damp climate environment such as the East Coast of the USA. This is a recipe for disaster. Must be a few screws loose somewhere, along with the loose batteries.

I like it as a trade item and will take them and use them immediately - I also take extras so I can let them run out if they are not full. Usually they are full. It might help someone pushing night time and unprepared. Might help someone get a picture - should leave four of them. Yes zip them up. I seen alot worse swag than batteries. A whole lot worse!

I've found them in caches and was thankful that I had a replacement for the nearly discharged batteries in my unit or camera. I usually have extra along, but go through them quickly and have been caught without a few times.

I've placed them in caches and have seen logs from grateful finders for whom the batteries saved their geocaching day.

That's why.

Edited by briansnat

Finding batteries in caches has been helpful to us a couple of times. We had placed them in a few caches as well.

But then about 4 years ago, i was told by a Texas State Park superintendent that batteries weren't allowed in caches placed in the park he oversees because they are bad for the enviroment. Seems there was a cache that got muggled in that park and they found the remains of it, which included AA batteries laying on the ground. While i don't see them as being a big problem, i can see his concerns to an extent and have just made it a practice not to leave batteries in caches.

Don't quote me on this but i think that i read somewhere that this guideline pertains to all Texas State Parks.

Edited by Mudfrog

But then about 4 years ago, i was told by a Texas State Park superintendent that batteries weren't allowed in caches placed in the park he oversees because they are bad for the enviroment.

Oh, Good Grief!!! What is this country coming to? We ban a pair of AA's as being bad for the environment? What about the environmental damage caused by the manufacturing of said AA's? Absurd. Simply absurd.

But then about 4 years ago, i was told by a Texas State Park superintendent that batteries weren't allowed in caches placed in the park he oversees because they are bad for the enviroment.

Oh, Good Grief!!! What is this country coming to? We ban a pair of AA's as being bad for the environment? What about the environmental damage caused by the manufacturing of said AA's? Absurd. Simply absurd.

I agree that it is an absurd argument. Are billions of discarded batteries in landfills across the nation something to be concerned about? Probably. But a pair of AAs in the woods, give me a break.

As far a placing FRESH batteriesin caches, I think they are great trade items. Ideally they should be in their original packaging, but if that won't fit, then they should at least be in baggies, or taped together and the terminals covered.

Come prepared, bring your own. This is what happens to batteries in caches.

5ca3d3de-2dfc-4918-b75d-2b5036620a47.jpg

HMMMM!

Ya know those could be mine that I had left in that cache way back in March of '04. I never did think that they would have not been taken out and used after all of this time. I did include a note on my log that stated they were new batteries.

Looking at those, I would definately agree that leaving them unprotected isn't the right thing for sure.

I, at the time, thought that is one of the best gifts to give a fellow cacher. The ability to get out and have another 15 or so hours of caching on me.

I agree that it is an absurd argument. Are billions of discarded batteries in landfills across the nation something to be concerned about? Probably. But a pair of AAs in the woods, give me a break.

As far a placing FRESH batteriesin caches, I think they are great trade items. Ideally they should be in their original packaging, but if that won't fit, then they should at least be in baggies, or taped together and the terminals covered.

I agree with you both as well. They are but the tiniest drop in the bucket as far as being detrimental to our enviroment. I'm just stating what was told to me personally and in this case, it doesn't matter what we think. Geocaching would most likely be banned in that state park if this little guideline was ignored on a regular basis...

Dang I wondered where I left them darn things!

Really though I think batteries are a great cache item if they are fresh and in a sealed package when placed in cache. I've seen the time when I would have loved to find some although a always try to have spares along with me while caching.

I, at the time, thought that is one of the best gifts to give a fellow cacher. The ability to get out and have another 15 or so hours of caching on me.

Nice sentiments, and if I had found them, and seen your note, within a reasonable period of Minnesota summer, I might have grabbed them (although I use NiMh rechargables 100% of the time).

Now, if you really wanna give me another 15 hours of caching, leave a gallon of gasoline in the cache!

umm what cache did you get that from, it might be my little bros XD

CASSE Aviation is the cache. I found the cache back in March of '04 and did leave some new batteries.

knowschad, I think you are asking alot wanting a gallon of fuel. :blink:

By chance I was wondering if the Atwell Family is going to respond to the post they started? I would have thought they would have more input regarding this.

ps. I am not being critical of the Atwell Family. They are good people. ;)

Now, if you really wanna give me another 15 hours of caching, leave a gallon of gasoline in the cache!

knowschad, What in TARNATION do you drive that gets 15 hours out of a gallon?

Back on topic; I think batteries are a limited life thing; if they aren't picked up in a reasonable amount of time, they should be removed by the cache owner during a maintenance run. For this reason, in addition to being bagged, and terminals covered, shouldn't they be dated as well?

I just left some in one of my caches that I was restocking a little bit. It was a new package of 4 double-As, so there should be no question on whether they are new or not. I also shrink-wrapped the package for extra protection.

2 AAs fit nicely in a plastic film canister, it's water tight , the bats wont short out and you can get them for free from many camera stores. BTW my GPSer wont run on golf balls!! LOL

2 AAs fit nicely in a plastic film canister, it's water tight , the bats wont short out and you can get them for free from many camera stores. BTW my GPSer wont run on golf balls!! LOL

I don't know where you get your AA's and/or film cannisterss from, but its been my experience that the batteries are just slightly too long for the film cannisters. They tend to pop the top off, if you can close it at all.

When I first started caching we went through batteries like crazy. Many times we'd go on spur of the moment cache runs. Once I did find batteries just as mine where getting low. Saved me from a trip to the store.

Another time I bought batteries at a convieniece store on my way to an event. After I got there I went to put them in my camera and they looked like the ones in the picture. They didn't last any better in the store then they did in the cache. :laughing:

My kids also like to trade for batteries for their cd players.

I like the suggestions of tapeing them together, placing in a baggie, and marking the date on them. Thats a good swag item to me.