Etiquette?

CelticButterfly

Is it ok, to remove a TB from a cache, go to the next cache, virtually place it and remove it in the same action, log it, then move to the next cache and so on and so forth? :)

It was my understanding that you drop it off and wait for the next person to move it on, but sometimes I take a narrow view of these things! :)

Just looking for opinions! :)

The point of travel bugs is to travel. Assisting a bug towards its goal doesn't mean you are limited to moving it only one cache down the trail.

If I can move the bug 100 miles in the right direction, and happen to catch a few more caches along the way, well I'd like see the bug get credit for each and every visit.

Tell stories, take pictures, have fun.

Is it ok, to remove a TB from a cache, go to the next cache, virtually place it and remove it in the same action, log it, then move to the next cache and so on and so forth? :grin:

We will do that sometimes, but we don't usually log the bug into and out of every intermediate cache -- just ones that either are appropriate for the bug's mission, or have a good photo op or story op. We wouldn't bother with a bunch of in/out logs that just say "dropping TB for mileage", or something similar (although a lot of people do, and there's nothing wrong with it).

For example, we picked up "**Hobos Personal travelling coin" a week ago, and have had it with us for several caches since then, but we only logged it into and out of two of them. One was a railroad-themed cache, and since hobos are known to hitch rides in empty boxcars, we "dipped" him in it even though it was a micro. The other was the cache that we had been planning to drop him into yesterday, but the container turned out to be too small. It was a cool spot though, so we took a picture of him at the location and dipped him there too.

I have held on to a number of Travel Bugs and Coins for extended periods (always with the owners permission) as i have been able to assit in their missions. I always make a point of logging the bugs in to every cache that we find (they are in my cache pack anyway).

This logs the miles and caches (for the number crunchers)and lets the owners know where the bug has been and that it is still active and has not been lost at the bottom of my pack.

Each to their own but i like to be able to look back my logs and remember what bugs and coins i have had.

Is it ok, to remove a TB from a cache, go to the next cache, virtually place it and remove it in the same action, log it, then move to the next cache and so on and so forth? :santa:

It was my understanding that you drop it off and wait for the next person to move it on, but sometimes I take a narrow view of these things! :D

Just looking for opinions! :sad:

:santa: I personally don't see what the problem is with what you are describing. Dipping happens. I think as a travel bug owner that it would get my immediate attention if suddenly I received several e-mails pertaining to the travels of one specific traveler. I have done this before, and posted a story to go along with it. I have received several compliments from local cachers that tell me they have enjoyed reading about my travels with Bubba Baboon. Unfortunately, he's MIA right now. I still hope he turns up again.

I think as a travel bug owner that it would get my immediate attention if suddenly I received several e-mails pertaining to the travels of one specific traveler. I have done this before, and posted a story to go along with it. I have received several compliments from local cachers that tell me they have enjoyed reading about my travels with Bubba Baboon. Unfortunately, he's MIA right now. I still hope he turns up again.

We had a similar experience with one of our bugs, "the hermit crabs visit New Zealand". Its goal is to travel around NZ scouting out places for us to visit for when we go there some day.

Two cachers (XenaCommander and Technokitten) picked it up on North Island and took it on a month-long motorcycle tour of South Island, dipping it into several caches and posting lots of great pictures along the way. We definitely enjoyed the extended trip that they took our bug on :rolleyes:

Is it ok, to remove a TB from a cache, go to the next cache, virtually place it and remove it in the same action, log it, then move to the next cache and so on and so forth? B)

It was my understanding that you drop it off and wait for the next person to move it on, but sometimes I take a narrow view of these things! B)

Just looking for opinions! B)

B) I personally don't see what the problem is with what you are describing. Dipping happens. I think as a travel bug owner that it would get my immediate attention if suddenly I received several e-mails pertaining to the travels of one specific traveler. I have done this before, and posted a story to go along with it. I have received several compliments from local cachers that tell me they have enjoyed reading about my travels with Bubba Baboon. Unfortunately, he's MIA right now. I still hope he turns up again.

I like reading the adventures of some of the TBs you've had in your posession. I really like this one And Tiki Man 337.