Earthcache, Geocache?!?

swizzle

I was looking at the earthcache site but I still didn't get the answers I was hoping to get. I was wondering if you could use a glacial irratics as an earthcache. I know there's 10's of 1,000's of these big boulders through the woods but I'm looking for a real monster. I was also wondering, do earthcaches need to be in places that a regular cache won't work? Can the 2 be combined as 2 seperate caches? I'm not sure how much info could actually be learned from a boulder pushed by a glacier but I'm sure I could scrounge up enough info on the subject to make it interesting. Anyone else have an idea for an earthcache that they are still playing with? Swizzle

I'm aware of several earthcaches based on glacial erratics. Whether your submission will be accepted is dependent upon meeting the earthcache guidelines. If you have questions about those guidelines, write to GeoAware -- NOT to a Groundspeak Volunteer Cache Reviewer.

Earthcaches are independent of the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines. You can place an earthcache 50 feet away from a physical geocache, and there's no requirement that an earthcache must be placed in a location where physical caches are prohibited. Conversely, someone can hide a physical cache 40 feet away from an earthcache.

I knew about them being completely seperate from one another but I didn't know about the 50 foot rule. That's very helpful. Maybe I should do a search for boulder caches and see if I can get some decent ideas for a good cache. In the past I just threw a few caches together just for fun and now I regret it. Now I want to be sure I put out caches that are well thought out and more fun and interesting. The last thing I want to do is go tag every boulder in the forest. I should be able to find a couple boulders close enough together to hold both types well keeping them as 2 seperate caches. I was actually going to do a cache called boulder dash and have it be a multi with every micro hidden within 20 feet of an interesting boulder. Maybe a short multi on the way up a hill to a larger boulder that would be the earth cache? Time to dig out the hiking guides and start looking. Thanx for the info. It was very helpful. Swizzle

Cool, Thanx again. I think I'd like to keep them seperate so they are easier to seperate on the map. This one might be a year or so in the making. First I want to make a few decent hikes to find a suitable place. By then my cache plans will probably change a dozen times over. What's the most interesting earth cache that you've ever been too? Swizzle

I think my favorite earthcache was Impressions of a Tree Earthcache.

A long time ago, lava flowed around tree trunks and cooled. Today, there are large trunk shaped holes and tunnels through the rock, which you can climb into and through. Pretty cool! Hmmm...that makes me realize that I never uploaded my pictures to my log. I need to do that.

Since the guidelines changed , the earthcache was archived because it didn't meet the new requirements. I'd love it if he updated it and got it unarchived!

Wow, That's just amazing. That's like a fantasy world. I would have thought that the trees would have burnt in minutes and the lava would just keep flowing. That is just way too cool. I can't believe the amount of pics on that one and 26 watchers?!? Unbelieveable. I wish there were places like that closer to here. Thanx for sharing that one. Swizzle

It's still in the making. I just got a tip last night on a large boulder field. Unfortunately its probably going to be almost a 2 hour drive and then a 3 or 4 mile hike. Right now I haven't got any time to travel that far and be gone on a hike for that long. I know its only a short trek but I still have priorities and family obligations. That and I still don't have any vacation time saved up yet. I just got back to work a month ago and I have to wait for 6 months before I can go. Hopefully I'll come up with something soon. I just want to make sure I visit the site myself and do all the pics and get the necessary info that I'll need to get it published. Now can I have a whole boulder field published or just one boulder? I love this stuff. It keeps me thinking. Thanx for all your help guys. Swizzle

I think my favorite earthcache was Impressions of a Tree Earthcache.

A long time ago, lava flowed around tree trunks and cooled. Today, there are large trunk shaped holes and tunnels through the rock, which you can climb into and through. Pretty cool! Hmmm...that makes me realize that I never uploaded my pictures to my log. I need to do that.

Since the guidelines changed , the earthcache was archived because it didn't meet the new requirements. I'd love it if he updated it and got it unarchived!

You could request to adopt the cache and unarchive it. I'd love to visit it someday.

Ok, so I'm learning a bit more here. I have a discussion started in another forum on boulders. I guess there's a few different classifactions. Glacial Erratics, Talus and Ice Quarried Boulders. So what do you guys think, should I try to make 3 different earthcaches using all three different types of boulder? Swizzle

Ok, so I'm learning a bit more here. I have a discussion started in another forum on boulders. I guess there's a few different classifactions. Glacial Erratics, Talus and Ice Quarried Boulders. So what do you guys think, should I try to make 3 different earthcaches using all three different types of boulder? Swizzle

So long as they are in different locations. I've got a couple of erratics, and one on talus.

They will definately be all seperate. I'd like to keep them fairly close together so it would be possible to get all 3 in a day. Maybe I could do a multi that would connect all 3? Swizzle

Keep 'em separate. That way folks can get 3 icons instead of just one. You will definitely have more visitors that way, but you can post links to the other two on each of the pages to point them out.

Ok I'm starting to get some feedback now that is saying that the term Ice Quarried Boulder is just a made up term. I'm in the process of trying to confirm it one way or the other. If its not a technical term then I'll just tag 2 seperate boulders. I'll definately post links to each one of my earthcaches. I'd like to create 2 or 3 different ones. I definately don't want to go to crazy...yet. Swizzle

It is a "Virtual" cache in a geologically-significant area. The cache page must have documented, educational information about the geology at that location. Earthcaches were originally on this site, then when the Virtuals were discontinued here, Earthcaches were moved to Waymarking.com. Then, for a variety of reasons, they were moved back to Geocaching.com, even though there is not a cache container at the coordinates.

I have one Earthcache, Cannonball Wash and the Diablo Formation that started out life as a Waymark. It's been a bit confusing . . . :lol:

Most of the Earthcaches I have found in this area have been very interesting and I've learned a lot about the unique geology. B)

Ok I got the e-mail back and the guy said I could set up the earthcache itself as a multi. I could have a 2 parter that would show the difference betwen a glacial erratic and a talus boulder. I think I have the perfect spot for it. I just have to go and take some pics and study up on the difference between the two and think of a question or 3 to ask cachers to prove that they were at the site and learned something. Swizzle

What if I wanted to place a cache in an interesting area of a wilderness where traditional geocaches would not be appropriate. There really is not much to measure, classify or otherwise involve cachers without really boring them to bits.

There is a boulder field near me that would have been an ideal place for the old virtual type cache but since those are no longer allowed that is not an option.

Any ideas?