Canadian Winters

murfster

I might even go as far as saying that finding caches in the winter is easier since you just follow the foot prints to the cache. Just looking through my list of DNFs and out of 138 DNFs over the past 5 years I can only say that 7 of those were due to snow.

We might slow down caching a bit, but it definitely doesn't stop us, and we usually start keeping the sled in the car and bring it along with us while caching especially if it's a place that has hills. There was one time my son and I were finding a cache in Hamilton. We got on the sled and went about 300-400m down the trail on it, passing the cache by 100m (ooops), but it sure was fun.

Depending on the hide, I prefer to cache in the winter. No bugs, no rain, no blazing heat. Growing up in Timmins, I got used to the snow and cold so anything the south throws at me is no big deal!

The only issue I have with winter caching (and it has been said many a time before by others as well) is those that insist on hiding micros at the base of a tree and indicate it as winter friendly. To me, winter friendly means ABOVE potential snow lines, not that you can still find it when its 30 below. I don't mind those kind of hides in the summer but the cache owner should make note that it might not be winter friendly (yes, I know, this gives away the height but so what!).

The snow up north makes you grateful for those OGPSTH caches (just thought I'd stir the pot on that one again for a bit....flame on!!!).

I'll be caching up in Sudbury and Timmins over the holidays this year. Maybe I'll run into you finally Murster!

Is there any advice for a first time winter cacher? Should I just narrow down the search parameters to 'winter' friendly & hope for the best? I really don't want to hang up the GPS for 3-4 months due to snow :anicute:

You can do a pocket query limited to winter friendly caches, but I've ran into several supposedly winter friendly caches that were stuck in a block of ice or otherwise not really winter friendly.

My method for easy winter caching: a pocket query of caches found in the last week! Then you really know they are findable, unless we just got a huge snowstorm :unsure:

For older caches (that may not be found that often), you can also check past logs. If anyone ever looked for that cache in January or February, their logs will probably reveal how winter friendly it is.

Prepare for next season? I'm too busy caching in this season to worry about next season :anicute:

About all I do differently in the wintertime is wear warmer clothing and move the battery powered equipment to an inside pocket.

The snow adds an excellent layer of camouflage that makes some caches somewhat harder to find. On the other hand, the cold makes some caches easier to get to as all that swampy mud is frozen solid. The lack of bugs in the winter is a definite bonus.

On the really bad days, I clean up all those urban caches I've been neglecting. In the city, there's always a Timmy's within a couple of blocks of the cache :unsure:

What do the rest of you do in winter to prepare for next season?

For next season? I am planning Spring Fling 4, which will hopefully be close to Mega-status..

But between meetings and waiting for callbacks, I go caching with snowshoes and some hefty winter gear.

which reminds me, I would just like to thank 2happy2gether for saving my life last year. Much appreciated! Only in retrospect does it really stand out how stupid winter caching can be (1) on your own, (2) 30km from the nearest road can be. Sometimes that ice looks solid..

When you fall through the ice people, make yourself a fire IMMEDIATELY :( About 30 minutes later I was a pigscicle, but only lost a toenail...

What do the rest of you do in winter to prepare for next season?

For next season? I am planning Spring Fling 4, which will hopefully be close to Mega-status..

But between meetings and waiting for callbacks, I go caching with snowshoes and some hefty winter gear.

which reminds me, I would just like to thank 2happy2gether for saving my life last year. Much appreciated! Only in retrospect does it really stand out how stupid winter caching can be (1) on your own, (2) 30km from the nearest road can be. Sometimes that ice looks solid..

When you fall through the ice people, make yourself a fire IMMEDIATELY :( About 30 minutes later I was a pigscicle, but only lost a toenail...

Thanks but I don't remember starting the fire. I think Malevolent Monkey and Flat Rapids Gang(?) did that.

Did you also learn to recognize beaver dams through 4 feet of snow?

The batteries thing is a really good idea. We were out on Saturday and it was about -20. It was roughly a 10km round trip hike (about three hours) and the NiMH were totally dead before we got back to the car -- and that was a set that normally lasts all day.

I always carry a treking pole -- handy for stability on the trails and also makes a handy poking device when probing for ammo cans under the snow.

Look for new caches or caches with recent finds and just follow the footprints. :lol:

Dress warm, be prepared and winter caching is great.

We only started caching in May, so we haven't had the chance yet this year to go look in the snow. We're both not equipped with the appropriate footwear or clothing so the hiking ones we have left will probably have to wait till the spring. We did almost all of the easy ones in my city (Penticton, BC) so now we have to do caches in Kelowna and Vernon. Can't wait for spring LOL!

So far I haven't had too much trouble with the winter caching other than forgetting my snowshoes & sinking into the snow.

Getting the cache unstuck has been the biggest hassle so far. Perhaps in the new year, I'll cough up the $$$ for a premium & take up the Red Haired Witch on her advise.

Something like that happened to me Saturday with snowshoes ON: sank right up to the *ahem* waist :)

RHWitch's tip about looking for recently found caches is turing into one of the best tips so far. Even with the snowfall we've been getting here in Ottawa, seeing that someone else has been successful at least gives you hope

Edited by SigsPig

Other than praying for the snow to melt, I run a PQ each week of caches found in the last week. If someone else has found it, I will too, especially if they have left a nice trail right to the cache.

I don't always trust the "winter friendly" icon. I have attempted some caches with these, only to find myself digging in and around rocks half way up a steep hillside. But 1/1's are usually a sure bet to be winter friendly, unless of course, the plow has completely covered the lamp post skirt you need to lift.

If the cache is encased in ice, leave it be. Some owners will accept a photo of the cache for a smiley, and tupperware tends to break before the ice does.

We were in Quebec City earlier this month and managed to solve all the steps for the GWN Geotour Quebec. Unfortunately the final was at ground level and encased in ice! We could see it but didn't think we could remove it safely (we tried a little and realized our attempt was futile). I guess we'll have to go back to sign the log book and get the digits from it!

We logged a 'write note' not a 'smiley' but it's really unfortunate that it's not available year round. We should have checked the 'available in winter' attribute, but we were so excited to be there that we went for it anyway hoping we could retrieve it.

If the cache is encased in ice, leave it be. Some owners will accept a photo of the cache for a smiley, and tupperware tends to break before the ice does.

Yes, whatever you do, dont try to disloge it with a ski pole.

And SigsPig we have a pact with the Thunderbird to make it snow only at our ski resorts.

Edited to add:

And as if to support my post the web cam angle was changed so we could view Grouse Mountain. :anibad:

2001196733552250139_rs.jpg

Edited by QuigleyJones

I think some of my most enjoyable caching experiences have been in the winter! Over the past couple of years doing this, I have tried different winter gear and found that the following items must have (Unless you live in the land of Milk and Honey with QuigleyJones!):

a good pair of waterproof winter boots.

Easy on/off mittens (or those fingertip exposable mitts) and a spare (dry) pair.

Gaiters <- best invention EVER

Head cover and neck dickie

Small foldable shovel

Snowshoes/Skis or for the less energetic - Snow Machine

We have no shortage of snow here, but as many caches are hidden in/near large trees, the snow is merely a temporary annoyance in many cases.

Our local association is currently hosting a cache finding event modelled after the "Clue" board game, and a "Winter Friendly" Cache hiding event.

And last year we had a GeoPic game running that worked well for those who wanted to have some GPS fun, but were adverse to booters :anicute: .