How do you blend into the woodwork?

M3J

One comment in the thread on logging a find when you really didn't got me thinking about a different question. What's your method for blending into the woodwork when you are either looking for an urban micro or just happen to be caching when a muggle wanders by?

For me, I have been poked at (gently though...I can handle it!!) for caching during the work day and winding up on site in my dress shoes and tie. I have found though that people never question a guy in a tie! They are probably thinking I am there on some official business (well, actually I am). I have also used the GPS as a cell phone method while standing in front of Union Station in Toronto while feeling for a micro behind something at rush hour. I also really enjoy bringing my kids along when I go caching. Yes its nice to have a family outing, but its even nicer to have someone shorter go crawling around looking for a piece of tupperware while I keep watch!

So, what's your method of blending in? What cameleon stories do you have to tell?

Personally? I don't generally bother.

Couple of reasons:

1. I'm likely to look more conspicuous if I'm trying to *look* inconspicuous.

2. If someone *does* muggle the cache, well that's just the price you pay for having a cache in a high muggle location.

Then again, I don't tend to hunt urban micros much...

If you look like you belong and are carrying on with a purpose, most people won't even notice you. I've heard of people carrying a clipboard, measuring tape and taking notes between search attempts - but this seems a bit much.

If it is only one or two muggles that are sitting right on top of my search target I usually take the opportunity to introduce the game to them. Most seem delighted that I have no interest in their presence.

If you look like you belong and are carrying on with a purpose, most people won't even notice you. I've heard of people carrying a clipboard, measuring tape and taking notes between search attempts - but this seems a bit much.

If it is only one or two muggles that are sitting right on top of my search target I usually take the opportunity to introduce the game to them. Most seem delighted that I have no interest in their presence.

Ditto. Basically I go about as if I am supposed to be there doing what I'm doing. I've heard it called "Stealing the Flag" which basically means if you walk over to the flagpole, take it down and walk away as if that is the job you are supposed to be doing then no one pays attention. If you are looking around and acting like you are up to something, then people will be suspicious of you.

But sometimes when I am actively searching, people will ask me what I'm doing or if I need help. Then I gladly explain exactly what is going on.

Either way, I don't try to blend.

Oh... don't steal flags :P

:) BQ

This time of the year I'm wearing my Toronto Zoo coat so if people ask I tell them I'm searching for a) an escaped wild animal, :ph34r: a rare bird that has been reported in the area, or c) I tell them about Geocaching.

It depends what kind of a mood I'm in. I've found most people don't really bother you when you are down on the ground climbing around under a tree looking for a micro.

Yeah, I find most are cool with it. I have introduced a number of muggles to geocaching while searching. My line is usually "just ignore me...just looking for something that someone hid for me". Of course, they start thinking drugs which then leads to an explanation of caching and usually pretty cool conversation and possibly even help in the hunt!

I just get worried when there are younger ones around as they might just up and take off with it for laughs. That being said, this summer we were on our way back from camping outside of Dunnville and went hunting for one in Caledonia (Ontario) beside the Grand River. We showed up and there were 6 kids on bikes hitting the jump they had built on the dirt trail to the side of the road...about 5M from the posted coords. They asked if we lost something and then I took a shot..."Nope, just looking for a geocache". One of them knew what it was then the others wanted to learn more. They helped us look for a while (still with no luck). I eventually founjd the cache about 30M from posted and hollered over to them since they had gone back to biking. I showed them the cache and they promised to leave it alone. Its still there (and I see the coords have finally been updated!).

As mentioned for the urbans though, no one messes with a guy ini a tie!

Sometimes it is just as well, to not blend in. On more than one occasion, I have recruited the assistance of those who ask or wonder what I'm doing; by indicating that I'm looking for a rare blue flower, that apparently has been seen in this area. Those concerned, will usually offer to assist in the search, giving you plenty of time evaluate their true interest in your search, and to to decide if you wish to more fully explain your presence. Others will merely accept your explanation, and then move along, letting you continue your private search.

And, of course, moving from place to place to get better reception on that 'cell phone' I've been using, is another reasonable explanation for my meandering among muggles.