Hiding Caches and Waterproofing?

cincol

I will be in SA in a couple of weeks and plan to place a few caches around the Rustenburg area - there are none! And before everyone tells me I cannot do so, my son will be maintaining them in my absence.

Here is the point of the posting. I have read a few posts about the use of black plastic bags - some positive and many negative. What is the best way to waterproof your cache? All I have to worry about here in teh Middle East is how to keep the sand out and prevent the container from blowing away! :P

I intend to use Tupperware / Addis / ice cream type of containers that ought to be waterproof on their own. However, the sun can cause lids to warp and crack. Obviously the best method would be to use metal continers such as cake / sweet tins or similar. :)

I look forward to contributions and ideas from seasoned cachers on how to keep the logbook and other goodies inside dry as this will be the rainy season as well. :D

Happy caching.

I have tried the plastic bag trick but it isn't cutting it. From now on I want to go tho something with a rubber seal in the lid, the "lock 'n lock" type seems to be the best so far. I have however come across one where the log book was clammy from moisture. But I am not sure how that happened as the container was dry inside. What you can try though is to place your container on top of a rock and not on the ground so that the container itself is elevated above the possible height that the water may flow. That way it should stay dry. I have tried to also put caches under a overhang with great results. So far I have had two reported damp or water logged containers. One I can understand the other one I am not sure how that happend except for the fact that it may have been twisted slightly with the rocks on top forcing the lid open perhaps. But the plastic bag round the container actually keeps the water in rather than out. Also makes it very muddy. I managed to pick up a screw top container from the chemist which I have out in the wild at the moment. I think that this could be the best for keeping out the water. I have mentioned it elsewhere in the forums, probably the best way to test a container would be to submerge it in water with some paper inside. Leave it overnight or even a hour or so and see if any water got in. If it did, consider that container as a no go. Stay away from tin cans as water will just rust it. Funnily enough Bivane Dam the second oldest cache in SA is a coffee tin. It is pretty rusted but the contents which included some stamps was bone dry after more than 5 years in hiding. And this is near a dam wall. So there is bound to be a lot of moisture in the air.

Hi Cincol, good to hear that you are going to visit SA, caches always welcome.

I also decided not to use black plastic bags at all, rather get waterproof camo bags, available at UKGeocachers.com I also think that placing the log-sheet inside a separate lock & lock container inside the bigger Lock & lock cache should do it. That is what I am going to do next, or go the "Devious Nano Way!" :)

Thanks for the tip Leon, but waterproof camo bags are out of my reach right now. I will have to settle for the good old "lunch box" type of plastic container. I do like your idea of placing the logbook at least in a double protection. That really makes a lot of sense. Here we don't have to worry about that at all. All we need to do is make sure that whatever we use will withstand the peak summer temperatures that are well over 50'C! :D

I have used quite a few tins for my caches. The rest have been plastic, but I am sure they will need to be replaced on a regular basis though. At least our logbooks don't get too wet here! :)

As far as nano's go, I have placed an order from the US for 10 that should be arriving soon. man, am I going to have fun placing those caches!! :):)

I will be watching my Sa caches with interest to see how many of the "regular" forum names crop up amongst those who log. I will be unleashing a few TB's and GC's in my new caches so plan a trip to Rustenburg late December or early january.

Happy caching.