Visiting Edinburgh

I'm visiting Edinburgh University next week and will, if lucky, have approximately five minutes to search for, sign and rehide a bit of tupperware.

Can anybody suggest a nice and simple cache in the city ie no multis, puzzles etc and definitely no urban micros requiring bucketfuls of stealth! I fancy doing Arthur's Seat Earthcache but I have a TB I picked up this week that wants to go to Scotland so a fair sized Traditional would be good!

There's a webcam cache on Princes Street and another on Rose St. Crag and Tail is an easy cache near to the Castle although if you're at the University you might be better with some caches in the old town, maybe Greyfriars Bobby.

I'm sure Haggis Hunter or someone will make some suggestions.

Yes, HH's 'Greyfriar's Bobby' would be a good candidate, if you are visiting the University buildings in town (though it's a very small box). The University is scattered all over the city - and the science area is a good distance away on the South side of the city (where there are some great caches too wioth much larger boxes). Hutton Memorial Garden would be another good candidate, and although it's disabled needing a new log book, it's still there and loggable (anothe very small box though). Boroughloch and Boroughloch Brewery is a nano close by George Square, though some people have had difficulty finding it.

Hth

Edited by Firth of Forth

Well well me old Gingerloaf.

Scotland eh!

I know the guy's up there will give good advice but I will insist that you DO get up to Arthurs Seat (it's fab) also you can nab Let's Get Radical GCN1G2 whilst on't way up or down (only you must do the Totally radical Route as I did :P ).

Others may not agree but try for Stark GCVFMT as an unusual one. It was both creepy and peacefull but you'll have to visit to see what I mean. Deffo an "Aura" about the place....

Whatever you do buddy, have a great time

Carlos

PS Don't forget there a bit of a power trail too.

See Dean Bridge GC76AE which is one of them. :)

As Firth of Forth has said, Edinburgh Uni, is scattered all over Edinburgh. Drop me an email of where you are going and I will let you know the best caches to visit. If your not sure of where you are going then the department you are visiting, I may be able to pin the location down for you.

If you are desperate to do the earthcache (be warned it will take longer than 5 minutes to complete, and sturdy footwear is advised) then you should think about doing one of the following - Weir's Way: 'An Edinburgh Volcano' although you will have to do this first, and it takes you up the more strenuous route or after doing Arthur's Seat do A Split Personality? If you have a car and start at Dunsapie Loch to go up, stop at OUCH!! first. As I have already said, you will need at least an hour if you have a car, by foot then a couple of hours.

Please drop me an email, I should be able to help further.

Scotland eh!

I know the guy's up there will give good advice but I will insist that you DO get up to Arthurs Seat (it's fab) also you can nab Let's Get Radical GCN1G2 whilst on't way up or down (only you must do the Totally radical Route as I did :P ).

Others may not agree but try for Stark GCVFMT as an unusual one. It was both creepy and peacefull but you'll have to visit to see what I mean. Deffo an "Aura" about the place....

Carlos

See Dean Bridge GC76AE which is one of them. :)

Stark is an odd one that does have an aura about it, here's a picture that I took

e99ff2fd-e30a-4e30-a838-18f5f6452523.jpg

I think the power trail you are refering to is the Water of Leith Cache Trail. A 12 mile walk along Edinburgh's river, which you can break off from from any point and get the bus back into town.

Scotland eh!

I know the guy's up there will give good advice but I will insist that you DO get up to Arthurs Seat (it's fab) also you can nab Let's Get Radical GCN1G2 whilst on't way up or down (only you must do the Totally radical Route as I did :laughing: ).

Carlos

See Dean Bridge GC76AE which is one of them. ;)

Stark is an odd one that does have an aura about it, here's a picture that I took

e99ff2fd-e30a-4e30-a838-18f5f6452523.jpg

I think the power trail you are refering to is the Water of Leith Cache Trail. A 12 mile walk along Edinburgh's river, which you can break off from from any point and get the bus back into town.

I had a bit of bother up there last month, had a DNF on both Greyfrairs Bobby and also Alexander Graham Bells birthplace, the last one we were at it at 2am in the morning!

managed to do the 2 webcams along Rose St / Princes St area, I'll be back up soon to do the Arthurs Seat one's, anybody got any tips on the 2 DNF's I had? as I see people have found them since

Cheers Pete

Edited by pete37038

There's a webcam cache on Princes Street and another on Rose St. Crag and Tail is an easy cache near to the Castle although if you're at the University you might be better with some caches in the old town, maybe Greyfriars Bobby.

I'm sure Haggis Hunter or someone will make some suggestions.

The dodderin' old git'll never find Greyfriars Bobby! ;)

Not without a PAF anyway or even better someone to find it for him and maybe even sign the log as well. :laughing:

I was FTF on Alexander Graham Bell's birthplace but it took me ages to find. It's sort of where you think it'll be, remember it's a nano!

Greyfriars bobby took us 2 attempts too - I'm sure Haggis Hunter would give you a further hint if you want one!

That I shall, drop me an email if you need any help. It's not the easiest of caches to find, due to it being next to a wall that you can get onto both sides off.

I was FTF on Alexander Graham Bell's birthplace but it took me ages to find. It's sort of where you think it'll be, remember it's a nano!

Greyfriars bobby took us 2 attempts too - I'm sure Haggis Hunter would give you a further hint if you want one!

That I shall, drop me an email if you need any help. It's not the easiest of caches to find, due to it being next to a wall that you can get onto both sides off.

Oh he won't need help on that one cos he'll have crossed it off his list of possibles as soon as he heard it was a bit tricky! :laughing:

With a couple of recalcitrant 'youff' in Edi Universities, I've while'd away many hours doing Edi Caches. Annoyingly the one you really want to do around St George's Square is currently suspended. Though it is a multi you can in fact do nearly all the prep work for it at home.

So the Hutton Memorial Garden is a good alternative if a little boring.

However if you are feeling really clever and do your research properly, then Yobbies is a MUST. But be advised, do not set out until you have figured out the 'twist', after which it is not that difficult and gives a real sense of achievment!

Finally, I commend you into the hands of dear Haggis Hunter and his charming daughter!