Magellan 400 batter charge issue

iH8vols

I just bought a Magellan Explorist 400. I'm pretty good with technology, but I can't get this dang thing to charge. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Right now, I have it plugged into the computer. It's on and it's found my location. On the location screen (where it shows the time and data) it tells that it's charging. I know the manual says it suppose to charge for 4 hours, but I've had it plugged up for most of the day. As soon as I unplug the unit from the computer or wall, it dies. Am I missing something? :laughing:

Thanks!!!

UPDATE: Now than darn thing says it's fully charged (that is when I have it plugged to a power source). As soon as I unplug it, it turns off. I press the on button and nothing happens. I've held the power button in for a few seconds. NOTHING...Is this a bad system or am I totally lost? Thanks.

I don't have to have a memory card installed to turn it on do I? I'm pretty certain I don't.

Edited by BCurrey

Yea, I've tried that. It's not just when I unplug it from the computer or AC cord. If the unit isn't plug into either the computer or the AC, it won't turn on. I've pressed and held the power button down, but neither work.

THanks for your response. Let me know if anyone can think of anything else. I may be returning this one...

Thanks again.

Brandon

This is just a stab in the dark... do you have the GPS USB plugged plugged into the computer and then unplug the USB and the GPS turns off? It is designed to do that. In order to keep the GPS turned on you must press the GPS enter (diddly stick) and select power only before pulling the USB cable out of the computer.

I'd try inspecting all the contacts to make sure that they are making, uh, contact. It might be worth a little cleaning of them with a pencil eraser, too.

When I first got my Delorme PN-20, they had problems with the Li-Ion batteries that required a replacement. IIRC the symptoms were very similar to what you are describing. FWIW, I've not heard of problems with the Magellan Li-ions per se.

I found that the GPS has to be powered down to charge. I am unable to charge it with it on. It just maintains the current charge. oh, I have a 400.

Yea, I've tried that. It's not just when I unplug it from the computer or AC cord. If the unit isn't plug into either the computer or the AC, it won't turn on. I've pressed and held the power button down, but neither work.

THanks for your response. Let me know if anyone can think of anything else. I may be returning this one...

Thanks again.

Brandon

This is just a stab in the dark... do you have the GPS USB plugged plugged into the computer and then unplug the USB and the GPS turns off? It is designed to do that. In order to keep the GPS turned on you must press the GPS enter (diddly stick) and select power only before pulling the USB cable out of the computer.

B. make sure your usb interface cable is installed with the cord down. if you have the cord up it will not charge.

also do you have the aaa conversion module or the li-ion battery packs ?

i had trouble trying to charge the aaa's but when i got the li-ion battery it charged.

don't let it grind you down ya hear!

dagger dog

UPDATE: Now than darn thing says it's fully charged (that is when I have it plugged to a power source). As soon as I unplug it, it turns off. I press the on button and nothing happens. I've held the power button in for a few seconds. NOTHING...Is this a bad system or am I totally lost? Thanks.

I don't have to have a memory card installed to turn it on do I? I'm pretty certain I don't.

Don't hold down on the power button. Just give it a quick press to power up or down. Took me a while to figure it out. I guess holding it down kind of "double clicks", and cancels out what you're tying to do. It will charge via USB without the AC adapter connected, but only with the unit off.

Get an SD card and Topo 3D s/w! SD's are dirt cheap on eBay (got a 2GB for my camera for $14.95 last month), and the Topo not only shows the topography and goat paths, but has very detailed street and roads, too.

Edited by geowizerd