youngst person to reach 1000 finds

Relic Hounds

Our son (Little Whistler) has participated in 1108 of our 1242 finds. We started caching when he was 3 years old. He has four FTF's that he really and truly found on his own while my husband and I were not looking in the right place, and he makes quite a few finds for the team when we are out caching. His memory for cache hides is really astonishing...he can recall caches we did when we first started and often remembers what items he traded for.

Edited to add: I'd guess that the first kid to hit 1000 finds was GeoNina, CCCooper's daughter!

Edited by whistler & co.

Our son (Little Whistler) has participated in 1108 of our 1242 finds. We started caching when he was 3 years old. He has four FTF's that he really and truly found on his own while my husband and I were not looking in the right place, and he makes quite a few finds for the team when we are out caching. His memory for cache hides is really astonishing...he can recall caches we did when we first started and often remembers what items he traded for.

Edited to add: I'd guess that the first kid to hit 1000 finds was GeoNina, CCCooper's daughter!

He sounds a lot like "Ju", our son (don't know how old Little Whistler is, our son is 6 1/2).

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

At the risk of being shot down in flames - does anybody know who is the youngest person to have 1000 finds, as the OP asked - rather than the youngest person to have a GC account of their own and who were present with their parents when the caches were found?

Well, in that case, they would either have to be in a cache dense area with the freedom to walk or bike a lot on their own, or be old enough to drive a car.

Well, in that case, they would either have to be in a cache dense area with the freedom to walk or bike a lot on their own, or be old enough to drive a car.

Yep. Did anybody say it had to be a minor?

(Anyway - they could conceivably have found 1000 caches while with somebody else.)

There aren't many 2 year olds that can load co-ords into a GPSr, then use it to locate tupperware - so who is the youngest to 1000 genuine finds?

Yep. Did anybody say it had to be a minor?

(Anyway - they could conceivably have found 1000 caches while with somebody else.)

There aren't many 2 year olds that can load co-ords into a GPSr, then use it to locate tupperware - so who is the youngest to 1000 genuine finds?

Just trying to clarify what you're asking....it's fine if they found the 1000 with someone else, just not their parents?

No - just the youngest person to have found 1000 caches - in their own right. So I guess it's going to be either a solo cacher - or somebody taking non-caching parents along for the ride....?

(For example - my son's 4 1/2, and has his own GC log on, but has only "found" 3 caches. Of course, he's been with me for at least a hundred finds - mostly when he was much younger and in a carrier on my back - so played no part in finding the cache..... there wouldn't really be anything to gain in me adding those 100 finds to his profile would there?)

At the risk of being shot down in flames - does anybody know who is the youngest person to have 1000 finds, as the OP asked - rather than the youngest person to have a GC account of their own and who were present with their parents when the caches were found?

OK, I'll take the first shot. As long as the kid was there and signed the log he/she has every right to claim a find. I've sometimes gone caching with a friend. If he finds it and then passes the log book to me, am I not supposed to claim it as a find?

Yeah, I guess it comes down to that whole thing where, how far do we want to get picky with this in any of our geocaching experiences? If we go caching with a couple other people and they found it first, did we not find it so we can't log it (or we log it but we really shouldn't get credit?), and on and on.

I couldn't begin to separate those sorts of finds from my children's logs, or my own, nor would I want to. I guess since my children have always been old enough to participate in caching (they started when they were 5 and 8, and they're now 10 and 13), I won't worry about it.

OK, I'll take the first shot. As long as the kid was there and signed the log he/she has every right to claim a find. I've sometimes gone caching with a friend. If he finds it and then passes the log book to me, am I not supposed to claim it as a find?

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe that what the OP is looking for is a kid who is an active participant in the hunts, has his own account and logs his own finds.

I'm guessing that a 1 year old riding in along in an infant carrier with mom entering cutsie logs for the him or her isn't what the OP was looking for.

Yeah, I guess it comes down to that whole thing where, how far do we want to get picky with this in any of our geocaching experiences? If we go caching with a couple other people and they found it first, did we not find it so we can't log it (or we log it but we really shouldn't get credit?), and on and on.

I couldn't begin to separate those sorts of finds from my children's logs, or my own, nor would I want to. I guess since my children have always been old enough to participate in caching (they started when they were 5 and 8, and they're now 10 and 13), I won't worry about it.

Great idea. I promise to not worry about it with you. :ph34r::anicute::laughing:

Topic brings up some good points. An infant cacher with parents could write the record in their teens if the parents are active. To me its near impossible for a cacher under legal driving age to have 250 finds let alone a 1000. The point of being with another cacher and signing the log isn't on point. Could you have driven yourself and made the find yourself? Thats the question I would like seen answered before you can log the cache. Again, its what side of the fence your on. A numbers cacher would get pissed seeing teens get higher numbers than them. The the other side says let the kids have some fun. I ask why would a parent log a find for a two year old? Did they really experience the find? Heck, if I call my mom at night after caching and as long as I explain the cache can she log? :ph34r:

Why would a person who takes a dog caching have a GC account for the dog with unsaid number of finds in the dogs name? The dog cannot use a gps, cannot sign his name on the log, nor use a computer to log his find. So why should the dog have an account?

My five year old has been caching with my husband and myself for 2 yrs now. I am trying to update her account by logging her finds. We have 1300. I would say she has nearly 1K. Right now she is showing over 500.

She goes on extreme caches with us. Again every person (adult or child) is different. Almost all the cachers in my area knows my daughter and knows that she caches with us. She is physically out there hunting for the caches just like we are. She might not be the first to spot the cache, but neither are you every time you cache with a partner.

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe that what the OP is looking for is a kid who is an active participant in the hunts, has his own account and logs his own finds.

I'm guessing that a 1 year old riding in along in an infant carrier with mom entering cutsie logs for the him or her isn't what the OP was looking for.

I'd agree this is what the OP is looking for. A teenager (and I imagine there are many), with their own GPS, surfs the website looking for caches to hunt, downloads their own coords, logs their own finds with their own fingers, etc....But you'll never get a black and white answer there either. :anicute:

My husband (the "Whistler" part of Whistler & Co.) has never written an online log. Never. Not one. He has probably accessed gc.com on his own to look at cache pages no more than ten times during the past couple of years. Nonetheless, he loves to cache and the actual process of finding the cache in the field is roughly split between us. Because he does not do the preliminary cache research or because he does not write an online log of his own does not mean he is not a legitimate cacher.

Likewise, our son (Little Whistler) cannot read well yet, nor can he write his own logs online, nor can he drive to caches on his own. Yet he has hiked four miles through a gamelands to help find a cache. He has waded through a tunnel in the winter in water up to his knees carrying a flashlight to help find a cache. He has lifted more lampskirts than the average human ever will while finding caches. He has crawled under tanks, forded creeks, stuck his head up inside hollow trees, searched for names and dates on tombstones, worn blaze orange to avoid being shot during deer season, and carries his own GPS when he feels like it (we're still working on getting him to program it). He might only be six years old, but ask any of the locals who know him...he IS a geocacher!

I did not create an account for him until we had been caching for a while, and I did so only because he repeatedly requested it. He likes to tell me what to write in the online logs. Usually he just rambles on about his impression of a cache and I type it in a more readable version while he talks. He often points out places where we should hide our own caches, and he did a great job helping at the one CITO event we attended.

The OP's question about who is the youngest autonomous/independent cacher to reach 1000 finds is certainly valid. I guess it should have been worded a bit more precisely in order to avoid confusion, because in my opinion, a kid who actively participates in all types of cache hunts like our son does DOES have 1000 finds in the same way that anyone who caches as part of a team "has" 1000 finds (even if one partener makes more actual discoveries of the container once at GZ than the other partner does).

I'd agree this is what the OP is looking for. A teenager (and I imagine there are many), with their own GPS, surfs the website looking for caches to hunt, downloads their own coords, logs their own finds with their own fingers, etc....But you'll never get a black and white answer there either.

I am 15 now but started caching 4 years ago and already broke 1000!

???

Edited by Arndtwe

what i was meaning was the youngest person to reach 1 thosand who is able to look up the cache them selfs are able to log the caches them selfs in the book and on the computer

for example i am 16 and do all the caching on my own i was introduced to caching by someone i ran into on a hike and my parents never go caching other than with me

what i was meaning was the youngest person to reach 1 thosand who is able to look up the cache them selfs are able to log the caches them selfs in the book and on the computer

for example i am 16 and do all the caching on my own i was introduced to caching by someone i ran into on a hike and my parents never go caching other than with me

There are many teens that cache. If you are looking for teens who have found at least one thousand caches I'm sure there are many in cache dense areas like most large cities in America. Teenage cachers in less cache dense areas will take a lot longer to reach one thousand finds if at all.

There are many teens that cache. If you are looking for teens who have found at least one thousand caches I'm sure there are many in cache dense areas like most large cities in America. Teenage cachers in less cache dense areas will take a lot longer to reach one thousand finds if at all.

Congratulations, Relic Hounds. That's what I thought you meant, by glancing at your profile before you confirmed what you were talking about. As Glenn said, there are many teen cachers, and their best chance of finding 1K is if they live in an urban area in North America. Hopefully some others will check in here. In my area, there's one who started when he was 12 I believe, and is 14 or so now. But I just looked, and he's only up to 670 found. His parents obviously take him out sometimes, but have no account.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

just wondering if anyone knows who the youngst person to reach 1000 finds is

My daughter littlebit01 has reached 1000 finds. She is 5yrs old. And yes she has found a good number of the caches on her very own.

March 9 by littlebit01 (1016 found) Me Lucky Charms GC11FBR

Hi my name is Littlebit01 and I am 5 yrs old. I have gone with my mommy (lacey38655) and daddy (sniperchicken) to over 1000 caches. Today I logged this cache as my 1000th find. Mom took a picture of me where I signed my name to the log. We tried to find this cache last year but the tricky leprechauns kept tricking us. (plus we did it at night.) This time we came back ready to scare off those tricky leprechauns. He almost got us again, until daddy poked the can with his SSO. Daddy let me find it first. I really liked the shamrocks on the outside of the can, very cool paint job. I took stickers, ring, and some leprechaun coins. I left a flower fairy. Thank you so much for letting me find your cache, I really had so much fun. Mommy will post my picture soon. Katie (littlebit01)IMG_5365.jpg

We met a really cool young cacher when we first started caching named Super Nate. We were coming out of the woods with our gps in hands and a gregarious young man asked us if we found the cache. We stopped and talked a while. The family as on vacation and was having a great time caching.

I recently saw his log on one of my earthcaches. From his page it looks like he is still very active in caching. You may want to contact him; he may know of some other younger cachers and might be able to point you to an answer.

OOOpsy, i just noticed how old this thread is.....oh well.

Edited by Neos2

We have a young cacher in Burlington NC who had his 1K celebration event recently. He caches with me sometimes, beats me to the finds often, signs the logs, reads the cache pages and has a lot of great hides, as well. He was ten years of age for his event . . . Check out JoJo

Edited by GRANPA ALEX