PDA'S and Vista

XGrunt

Hello all, I have a some PDA questions. I am looking to get a Palm PDA more or less strictly for caching. My first question is; what is everyone's preference? Ive looked at the Palm TX (very expensive) and the Z22. Any other models that will suffice?

Question 2. I've looked at alot of versions, but not a single one says anything about being able to run on windows vista. Anyone know whether that is a problem or not?

Thanks for any help!

XGrunt

Many of us prefer the cheapest Palm we can find. Palms really aren't built with the outdoors in mind and aren't waterproof or very rugged, so to shell out a lot of money for something that might become an expensive paperweight if it gets rained on, banged around or dunked in a stream doesn't make sense.

Any Palm with at lest 8 megs of memory will do the job and there are many used ones on Ebay for $30 or less.

something like a M500 or M505 does the job nicely.

Like briansnat, I have a Palm M500, which I have had for more than five years. It has been very reliable with excellent battery life.

When I started caching, I got Cachemate, a great little program. An inexpensive hard case is essential for caching.

My understanding is that the newest Palm Desktop software, available for download from the Palm site, works with Vista.

:laughing: " Yesterday, 08:41 AM Post #5

Unless they came up with a solution, Palm m500 series will not work with Vista due to not being able to HotSyn with the .pdb files. "

Hmmm, I just opened a PQ (168-WP) on my laptop (VISTA), using Cachemate convert, set them up to load to my PDA on the next HOT-SYNC..............connected my m500 to the laptop (USB) and did a HOT-SYNC, this worked just fine............Perhaps it's the weather here in the DESERT-SOUTHWEST :huh:

P.S. Just did another one....A PQ (32 WP) convert.........HOT SYNC.......to my Palm Z-22.........worked just fine !

Edited by GIDEON-X

If it works for you great. I haven't tried putting the Palm back on my laptop since I found it wouldn't work.

From Palm's site;

Centro, Treo 755p, 680, 700p; Palm z22, TX; and Tungsten E2:

Palm Desktop 6.2 BETA

This software includes a Windows Vista compatible Install Tool, which allows you to sync .prc and .pdb files (Palm OS applications and databases) to your device. This version is currently compatible with recent Palm devices.

All other Palm devices:

Palm Desktop 6.2 Beta is not recommended for other devices. However, you can install a previous version of Palm Desktop, which will sync Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos, but has limited functionality in other areas.

I don't know if you care or not, but my experience with the Z22's is that they tend to be a pain to see in the sun.

Personally, no more caching that we get around to doing, we just use GSAK on a laptop and check the clues before we leave the vehicle, but that may not work as well in some more rural areas.

Hello all, I have a some PDA questions. I am looking to get a Palm PDA more or less strictly for caching. My first question is; what is everyone's preference? Ive looked at the Palm TX (very expensive) and the Z22. Any other models that will suffice?

Question 2. I've looked at alot of versions, but not a single one says anything about being able to run on windows vista. Anyone know whether that is a problem or not?

Thanks for any help!

XGrunt

We just went throught the "vista" thing yesterday when we "Black Friday'd" a new laptop. I downloaded the appropriate program for our PDA (a M505) and it wouldn't synch, so then I read on the Cachemate site he said to download anything they had for Vista on the Palm site, and I did, even though it didn't list the M505 as one of those supported, and it works fine! Great even!! Good luck!