Contest

koa-n-crew

Here is one you should check out. THIRD ANNUAL FLORIDA FINDERS FEST, GC14D8Z. Approximately 50 teams competing over a 5-mile course. There were caches to find, items along the way to pick up, photos of certain things required, and so on. Teams were released at 15-minute intervals, and total elapsed time was important.

Let me throw out the "ideal time" model. In certain cross country horse jumping competitions, there is an ideal time, determined by the course designer/judges. It's NOT the fastest possible time, it's a safe traveling speed for the average fit horse rider combo. The ideal time is NOT announced to the competitors! There are penalty points for both slow and fast times.

In a geocaching competition, I'd say an ideal time would be a decent walking speed over a trail, assuming walking, with a certain amount of time allowed for hunting, finding, signing and replacing the caches. Or if there's driving involved, reasonable safe driving time with an allowance for parking and finding/replacing caches. By using ideal time rather than fastest time, you remove the element of speed that can be detrimental to the caches themselves, and open the competition to cachers who may not be able to jog/walk/run over land.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Let me throw out the "ideal time" model. In certain cross country horse jumping competitions, there is an ideal time, determined by the course designer/judges. It's NOT the fastest possible time, it's a safe traveling speed for the average fit horse rider combo. The ideal time is NOT announced to the competitors! There are penalty points for both slow and fast times.

In a geocaching competition, I'd say an ideal time would be a decent walking speed over a trail, assuming walking, with a certain amount of time allowed for hunting, finding, signing and replacing the caches. Or if there's driving involved, reasonable safe driving time with an allowance for parking and finding/replacing caches. By using ideal time rather than fastest time, you remove the element of speed that can be detrimental to the caches themselves, and open the competition to cachers who may not be able to jog/walk/run over land.

this reminds me of road rally type scavenger hunts that I once heard of. that way people don't speed on public roads.

I'm curious how a team event works. How do you prevent two teams from looking for the same cache at the same time? If one team finds it, the other team does by default. how do you prevent a team from excessively camouflaging the cache when they put it back, or worse?

What type of contest do you want? Fastest find of all caches? Most team members finding the caches? Is it a time race, or a numbers race?

I was thinking of the fastest team to get all the caches and return to the start but I'm open to any ideas.

Like Orienteering?

I like the idea having it similar to the equestrian event. {Old timers like me would have a better chance]

You can average out the time it takes to walk the entire course, add in the average time it should take to find each stage, and call that par.

Then see who comes in the closest to par.

You can do it in a loop, and have the teams start at opposite ends at the same time.

Having the ends of the loop relatively close could lead to some fun at the finish.

You don't even need a container just use a couple of tags of different colors at each stage.

{take the tag and go}.... that way you wouldn’t even have to go back and collect containerswhen you are done.

Written on each tag would be the amount of time they had to get to, and find the next stage.

I would have more than two or three stages, and in the middle stage I would have a bell or whistle ,or some type of noise maker. A different one for each team. Just to add something for observers, and the competition.{heck,you can even have one at each stage].

I will stop right here,cause I'm starting to get some crazy Ideas for a game that I think I will keep to myself.

OBglogo.jpg