vista hcx + metroguide

pipis

I am a happy new owner of Vista HCx ;)

but..

I have a problem using metroguide with vista HCx. I am using it with my bicycle and my position on the roads seems to be wrong on the map, it shows me about 30+ meters behind the actual position. If I move very slow my position is a bit better. Is there any option that can help me?

Thanks

1st off, the maps are not always on target with where you are.

Also, menu-menu-map-General and set the Lock-On-Road option to off.

BTW, if your are interested in converting your MetroGuide to an auto-router, try geodude.nl ; I have it with MetroGuide v5 on my Vista HCx and it works great.

I am using it with my bicycle and my position on the roads seems to be wrong on the map, it shows me about 30+ meters behind the actual position. If I move very slow my position is a bit better. Is there any option that can help me?

In my unscientific testing, I find that using battery saver mode introduces significant lag in the GPS reporting of my position. In tight urban navigating this can cause me to miss turns.

Enabling WAAS helps more than it does not. But, remember that if you go to battery saver mode, WAAS will be automatically disabled and you'll need to enable it if you switch out of BSM. Personally, my Vista HCx is set on BSM 24/7 and I'll engage the electronic compass only when needed which is about 1/10 caches. I use it on my bike and car to navigate and I don't appear to miss as many turns as fratermus indicates :anibad: .

When I drive in Manhattan with my Sirf Star III gps connected, I have the same problems. Positions jump all over whether I'm in lock on road or not. The tall bldgs just cause too much bounce something you get to live with.

You could move to the surburbs! :anibad:

Edited by Alan2

What do you mean by battery saver mode? I can only find in System Setup GPS = Normal. It has two more options GPS off and Demo mode.

Page 37 of the online manual for the vista hcx did not specifically mention battery saver mode. Perhaps the units with electronic sensors do not have BSM. I don't know, never owned one.

The 5 garmin handhelds I've owned all had a BSM.

You right! The Vista HCx does not have a Battery Saver Mode per se. I assumed it did 'cause my Venture Cx has it, as does my black/white Vista. And when I turned off the electronic compass I assumed that put the GPS into BSM. It kinda does 'cause turning off the EC saves battery. In the compass page or the map page, press and hold the button above the on/off until you get a pop-up screen on the bottom indicating the compass is on/off.

As for the maps being off. I have found map accuracy varies from city to city among other factors that have been mentioned. In San Diego the maps are pretty accurate, but when I go to some of the outlying cities, the maps can be quite a bit off.