golf course cache

Sirrus123

i have two golf related caches ready to place, and i was thinking the perfect place would be a a golf course... right?

but anyway, i was thinking, i need to ask the golf course manegment right? My question is if its a good idea to ask the golf course, and if the caches themselves are a good idea.

Edit: i would tell them, and the cache searchers that you had to be playing the golf course while looking for the cache. (ergo no one wandering onto the golf course to look for the cache.)

Edited by Sirrus123

i have two golf related caches ready to place, and i was thinking the perfect place would be a a golf course... right?

but anyway, i was thinking, i need to ask the golf course manegment right? My question is if its a good idea to ask the golf course, and if the caches themselves are a good idea.

Edit: i would tell them, and the cache searchers that you had to be playing the golf course while looking for the cache. (ergo no one wandering onto the golf course to look for the cache.)

You will likely run afoul of the 'commercial' guideline if you require cachers to pay for a round of golf in order to find the cache. You might consider looking for a golf course with a nearby walking trail. That way you can hide the cache and retain the theme.

I have a cache that is located on a nature trail that weaves it's way between the holes of the course. You dont have to pay to use the trail.....it is a fun cache, and you can pick up a lot of practice balls in the process.

I also have found a cache in a woods that borders a driving range. The woods is not owned by the range, and I found 18 balls without ever leaving the trail. I love golf ball caches.

Probably not going to get past the commercial prohibition.

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

You will likely run afoul of the 'commercial' guideline if you require cachers to pay for a round of golf in order to find the cache. You might consider looking for a golf course with a nearby walking trail. That way you can hide the cache and retain the theme.

This is pretty solid advice. There's got to be many places with a view of a golf course that would fit your bill. I do some golfing (if you call it that) and a some caching too. The last thing I want to see on the golf course is a geocacher. That's mostly for his or her own safety.

Do you know the rules of golf?

Holding up play is not allowed...you only have so much time to look for a lost ball so how much time is it going to take to look for a cache while you hold up other players..

Somehow I do not think that you would get permission from management

Edited by hike n'bike

Depending on where you were going to place the cache, it MIGHT be OK (except you can't make anyone pay to get the cache as stated by a few). We own a course, I've given much thought to placing a cache.

On the course itself is a BAD idea as golfers are crotchety sorts, and golf balls are projectile weapons which could kill quite easily. An unsuspecting cacher could easily walk into the path of an oncoming ball and WHAM! I've seen what a golf ball can do to a person's face before...not pretty.

If there's a driveway with room for a car to stop safely (golfers are also wicked fast drivers when late for a tee time), maybe somewhere along there. Also, maybe around the clubhouse if you can get someone to allow you use of the location!

The commercial guideline aside, golf courses and driving ranges are usually private property, so you'd need to get permission. Even then, you would probably want it on the outskirts rather than the middle of the course for at least two reasons: 1) you don't want to get in the way of players who have paid to be on the course for the use it was intended and 2) there is a good chance that a golfer searching for a lost ball will spot your cache.

Ditto RockinRoddy and DavidMac. There are several in my area on golf or disco-golf ranges, none are in the playing area, none require (or even suggest) paying, and all have permission. A golf course is no different than any other private property, so get permission and go for it!

But do remember that golfers can be, uh, deadly serious about their game!

To wit:

This guy and his wife are golfing in a rural golf course. He hits off the 7th tee and shanks it. Finding the ball, he sees that a barn is between him and the green. He is about to hit a 3 iron back out to the fairway when his wife says that she can see the flag behind the barn, and all he has to do is hit a 7 iron through the barn doors and he can reach. He looks up and by golly he can see through the barn to the green. So he cranks up and hits through the barn. Unfortunately, the ball hits a beam and ricochets off the beam hitting his wife in the head and killing her. About a year later, the same guy is playing on the course with his buddy. He tees off the same hole and shanks it once again, landing in almost the exact spot he was a year before. His buddy says " Hey look you can see the green through that old barn. Go for it why dontcha?"

"No way" says the guy. "Last time I tried that, I wound up with a double bogey."

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Ditto RockinRoddy and DavidMac. There are several in my area on golf or disco-golf ranges, none are in the playing area, none require (or even suggest) paying, and all have permission. A golf course is no different than any other private property, so get permission and go for it!

But do remember that golfers can be, uh, deadly serious about their game!

To wit:

This guy and his wife are golfing in a rural golf course. He hits off the 7th tee and shanks it. Finding the ball, he sees that a barn is between him and the green. He is about to hit a 3 iron back out to the fairway when his wife says that she can see the flag behind the barn, and all he has to do is hit a 7 iron through the barn doors and he can reach. He looks up and by golly he can see through the barn to the green. So he cranks up and hits through the barn. Unfortunately, the ball hits a beam and ricochets off the beam hitting his wife in the head and killing her. About a year later, the same guy is playing on the course with his buddy. He tees off the same hole and shanks it once again, landing in almost the exact spot he was a year before. His buddy says " Hey look you can see the green through that old barn. Go for it why dontcha?"

"No way" says the guy. "Last time I tried that, I wound up with a double bogey."

:):):)