Moustrap in cache

Teampen

I was at a cache while travelling this weekend. I found it after a bit of bashing, and happily sat down to look at the treasures. I pulled out one object, and over the next few seconds it slowly dawned on me that I was holding a LOADED MOUSETRAP. I set it down gingerly and proceeded to set it off and disable it with my pocketknife to avoid any more injuries by other cachers.

Has anyone had any such terrible cache vandalism? I have warned the owner, but had no response!

Its hard enough searching for every cache in a crevice with a stick without having to unpack the cache itself with gloves on as well!

We've found live ammo (shotgun shells and high-powered rifle shells) on a few of the "deep woods" caches that we've gone in search of. They were left by muggle deer hunters (they even signed the logs!), we're guessing they weren't quite sure of what they had stumbled across, but they at least knew it was a treasure hunt of some sort so they left something to try and be a good sport. Of course we "trashed out" the shells.

left by muggle deer hunters (they even signed the logs!),

I found one like that. Fortunately, he didn't leave any shells or mousetraps. Just signed the log.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that a mousetrap would even break a child's fingers, although it would surely smart. Doubtless left by a muggle (or maybe a mouse?) and not a fellow cacher.

Someone was trying to be funny. That's what I'd chalk it up to. Having played with the things when I was a kid and ending up on the wrong end of the "SNAP!" I can say they hurt a little but nothing fatal. Mostly it's the suprise.

If I knew who, I'd probably try to be funny in the same way to. Then when they complained I'd say "see my point?" Or maybe not.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I found something like that only it was a bear trap that wasn't in the cache. It was nailed to the log that the cache was in, if i hadnt seen the chain i might have very well steped on it considering it was 3 feet in front of the cache and covered in pine needles. i dont know if this was a trapper of some cruel kids but i moved it onto the lg to show that humans had been to his trapping spot. I have also come across fishing line tied an ankle and neck high. was very angry about this one B)

I found something like that only it was a bear trap that wasn't in the cache. It was nailed to the log that the cache was in, if i hadnt seen the chain i might have very well steped on it considering it was 3 feet in front of the cache and covered in pine needles. i dont know if this was a trapper of some cruel kids but i moved it onto the lg to show that humans had been to his trapping spot. I have also come across fishing line tied an ankle and neck high. was very angry about this one :)

What sort of sick people do that? I can't even comprehend how wrong that is.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that a mousetrap would even break a child's fingers, although it would surely smart. Doubtless left by a muggle (or maybe a mouse?) and not a fellow cacher.

I was setting a rat trap once and wasn't paying attention. I had the thing snap right on my thumb. I thought for sure it was broken but I got lucky. Needless to say I shouted a few choice words at the time. It swelled up pretty good though.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of lamer would set any kind of trap like that in or near a cache. That bear trap one is very scary. That would sure do some serious damage.

I found something like that only it was a bear trap that wasn't in the cache. It was nailed to the log that the cache was in, if i hadnt seen the chain i might have very well steped on it considering it was 3 feet in front of the cache and covered in pine needles.

It is possible the trap was placed after the cache not knowing the cache was there. In any case, the person was wrong placing and concealing the trap in an area that humans could frequent without posting a notice of warning (no problem since bears don't read well) nearby. You did right by springing it and moving it so they could retreive their property.

I am new to geocaching and i havent experienced anything that would harm you in a cache or near a cache. I dont see why someone would do such a thing (putting a mouse trap in a cache or putting a bear trap near a cache) it just sickens me becuase what is someon walked into a bear trap or stuck there hand in a mouse trap? Geocaching is supposed to be a non violent sport whee people don't get injured. ;)

In the future for me im going to inspect the enviroment more thoroughly to watch out for things that can hurt you.

I found something like that only it was a bear trap that wasn't in the cache. It was nailed to the log that the cache was in, if i hadnt seen the chain i might have very well steped on it considering it was 3 feet in front of the cache and covered in pine needles. i dont know if this was a trapper of some cruel kids but i moved it onto the lg to show that humans had been to his trapping spot. I have also come across fishing line tied an ankle and neck high. was very angry about this one :(

I seriously doubt that it was a Bear trap! It was more than likely a much smaller trap one for catching raccoon, fox, coyote or other small game. If this is so it would not have done any serious damage even to a child. How ever it could cause a person to hurt himself from the surprise.

I fit was indeed a legitimate wild game set as I suspect the owner of the set defiantly appreciates what you did. Now he can move his trap instead of buying a new one or spending hours looking for where someone through it. This is good for everyone he is not mad about loosing his trap & maybe he will learn something from this & pick his spots better next time. As your description of the set don’t sound like it would have caught much anyway.

Fur trapping is a diying art & I commend any one willing to spend enough time & effort to maintain a trap line in this modern time. With the high cost all expenses & the almost nothing value of pelts it is a more expensive hobby than Geocaching.

Edited by Wabash-Riverrat

I was at a cache while travelling this weekend. I found it after a bit of bashing, and happily sat down to look at the treasures. I pulled out one object, and over the next few seconds it slowly dawned on me that I was holding a LOADED MOUSETRAP. I set it down gingerly and proceeded to set it off and disable it with my pocketknife to avoid any more injuries by other cachers.

Maybe it was placed in the cache to trap any live hamster TBs? :(

left by muggle deer hunters (they even signed the logs!),

I found one like that. Fortunately, he didn't leave any shells or mousetraps. Just signed the log.

This is off topic, I know, but a funny little story about a similar situation. I was out caching with some of my local caching friends a few weeks ago doing two caches that are along a public rails to trails hiking trail. The second one we found was about 1.5 miles from where we parked (and a long ways from anything resembling a house) and it had a very interesting log right before ours. It was from a person branding himself "Pissed Off Turkey Hunter". He had stumbled across the cache while turkey hunting and took the time to write a few hundred word essay on how crappy he thinks geocaching and the armstrong trail are. One of the comments was "How would you like it if you had to watch dozens of people hiking every day 16 feet from your back door." And ended with something like "Go away and live your quiet little life and leave me alone". Quite amusing. What really got us was that this guy had to have used the hiking trail to get this far out to hunt as the terrain nearby was mostly impassable except for the trail (large river on one side, cliffs on the other). At least he didn't take the cache though.

I've opened a small cache that had a mousetrap in it set to go off when you opened it up.

It was a cold day and it SNAPPED!!! it pinched me real good too.... I was not amused. It smarted for a while, but luckily it wasn't a smaller hand trying to open it.

I don't know how people find this kind of thing amusing. :D

I have found a mouse trap in a cache before. It was not set and I ended up snapping myself with it just out of curiosity. Hurt a bit but nothing serious. Left it in the cache just as it was found... not set. Did not really think too much of it until now but I am not too worried that a small child will visit that cache anytime soon. It was a circuit hike of over nine miles and some serious terrain. Still seems a bad idea.

- Rev Mike

I have found a mouse trap in a cache before. It was not set and I ended up snapping myself with it just out of curiosity. Hurt a bit but nothing serious. Left it in the cache just as it was found... not set. Did not really think too much of it until now but I am not too worried that a small child will visit that cache anytime soon. It was a circuit hike of over nine miles and some serious terrain. Still seems a bad idea.

- Rev Mike

Yea, there are some screwed up people out there. Not thinking or caring that some child may get snapped. Even though it may not do harm I am sure the child would be done with Geocaching forever. It only takes one idiot to ruin a good thing.

I found something like that only it was a bear trap that wasn't in the cache. It was nailed to the log that the cache was in, if i hadnt seen the chain i might have very well steped on it considering it was 3 feet in front of the cache and covered in pine needles. i dont know if this was a trapper of some cruel kids but i moved it onto the lg to show that humans had been to his trapping spot. I have also come across fishing line tied an ankle and neck high. was very angry about this one :grin:

I seriously doubt that it was a Bear trap! It was more than likely a much smaller trap one for catching raccoon, fox, coyote or other small game. If this is so it would not have done any serious damage even to a child. How ever it could cause a person to hurt himself from the surprise.

I fit was indeed a legitimate wild game set as I suspect the owner of the set defiantly appreciates what you did. Now he can move his trap instead of buying a new one or spending hours looking for where someone through it. This is good for everyone he is not mad about loosing his trap & maybe he will learn something from this & pick his spots better next time. As your description of the set don’t sound like it would have caught much anyway.

Fur trapping is a diying art & I commend any one willing to spend enough time & effort to maintain a trap line in this modern time. With the high cost all expenses & the almost nothing value of pelts it is a more expensive hobby than Geocaching.

I trap in Wisconsin, and you are right, it is getting very expensive. Especially with trap theft. However, I must say that finding a trap next to a log that contains a cache is most likely a dumb coincidence. You cannot expect that everybody knows about geocaching. With that said, why would anybody think that they have to look in every nook and cranny before setting a trap? It could have been placed by a kid just learning, his way, how to trap. In most states that I know of, by firing the trap and moving it, it is considered trap molestation, which is usually punishable by a fine. If it were me, I would be very ticked off about having my trap messed with. However, because it wasn't stolen, I would most likely leave it at that and find a new place to set it. I espacially would not have a problem with it if there would be a note stating why it was fired and moved, and with a name and number of the person who moved it so that I could contact them.

As for a bear trap near the cache, I can only think that it wasn't for bears. Bear traps are extemely large and very heavy. In many cases you are talking 40-60lbs. depending on the size. Unless things have changed, Maine is the only state in the lower 48 that I know of that allows bear trapping. These traps require special clamps in order to set them. In a bear trapping area, the trapper is also required to place warning signs all around the perimeter of the trapping area, and they have to be placed within a certain distance. I have never seen a bear trap priced lower than $300, and that is on the cheap end. Also, trappers are very careful and all trappers that I know are extremely law abiding. There is simply too much at risk not to be careful. I am not talking about safety here, but the public's perception of trapping.

There is a cacher in my area going by the name of "Mousetrap" who leaves mousetraps in ammo cans as a sig item...I've never seen one set to go off, though. This might be a little off topic, but have you ever seen cuss words written on a cache log? Last summer I was in a local park with one of my students and her mother orienting them to geocaching when we pulled out a log and saw a cuss word written on it. I was somewhat mortified about it because the child was only 10 years old. I have never seen another one since then and I have almost 2,000 finds....not a bad ratio, but very unfortunate that it happened when I was with this student.

Ummmm, there is a lot of negativity towards mouse traps in caches here.

Mouse Traps can be a fun cache to create if you know what you are doing. It makes a great stage to a Multi and the responses can be fun to read.

YOU MUST DISABLE THEM COMPLEATLY!!!!!!!

Some of the newer models can not be disabled, so you need to find the right one. The pressure lever needs to be cut as far back as possible to the spring itself to make it inactive. Once cut there is no way to have it be loaded. I have made 2 of them and only one is active right now.

For the cacher that leaves them as sig items, I hope he deactivates them before putting them in a cache.