Geocaching on Law & Order SVU tonight

It was L&O: CI (Criminal Intent) that had geocaching as a major part of one episode.

However, it showed the cacher as using a small trowel to dig up caches, and made it seem that trowels are a standard piece of equipment for cachers. Also showed part of the geocaching website.

The bad guys in the episode also made use of gps tracking to commit their crime.

The same idea was used on SVU last night - apparently a different episode than the one discussed above. A cacher called the "Master Baiter" hid a cache in a subway tunnel, and two guys fighting over FTF think that the cache is in a suitcase, which turns out to contain a dead body.

My complaints with the episode:

1. The cachers are stereotypical geeks - One is even wearing a "I <3 Leia" t-shirt.

2. They're wandering around an underground subway tunnel looking at their GPSrs. I'm sorry, but I don't think I could get accurate enough coordinates to find anything under those circumstances.

3. The "Master Baiter" is anonymous, with no way to be contacted. They finally find her by tracing the hotspot where she uploaded all of her video clues and paging her over the Wal-Mart-ish intercom. Embarassing, but somewhat funny: about half the teenage staff heads for the service counter, until the cop clarifies, "No, not *a* master baiter - *the* master baiter."

The same idea was used on SVU last night - apparently a different episode than the one discussed above. A cacher called the "Master Baiter" hid a cache in a subway tunnel, and two guys fighting over FTF think that the cache is in a suitcase, which turns out to contain a dead body.

1. The cachers are stereotypical geeks - One is even wearing a "I <3 Leia" t-shirt.

2. They're wandering around an underground subway tunnel looking at their GPSrs. I'm sorry, but I don't think I could get accurate enough coordinates to find anything under those circumstances.

3. The "Master Baiter" is anonymous, with no way to be contacted. They finally find her by tracing the hotspot where she uploaded all of her video clues and paging her over the Wal-Mart-ish intercom. Embarassing, but somewhat funny: about half the teenage staff heads for the service counter, until the cop clarifies, "No, not *a* master baiter - *the* master baiter."

This was a rerun, and Ambrosia posted links to the thread discussing it when it was new.

1. The two cachers are far more geekier than any geocachers I ever met. And that just goes to show you what outside parties (i.e. the writers for the show) think when they see our cache pages with WOOOHOOO!!! FFFFFFTTTTTFFFFFFF!!!!!!!! logs on them, along with FTF'ers being immortalized for all eternity on cache pages.

2. Hey, if they had a modern Garmin unit, CSX60 or newer, I suppose they'd get a signal in there. :(

3. And of course the Master Baiter turned out to be a total female geek as well.

I was in Manhattan about a month ago, and while looking for a place to park I noticed those small yellow signs that they put up which indicate when the entire street will be designated "no parking" for some reason. The reason they put on the sign said "Law and Order" and was dated during the following week. I thought, what if I hid a nano around here and then asked the reviewer to activate it the day and time of the filming.. :P What would a potential FTFer do? :(

I was in Manhattan about a month ago, and while looking for a place to park I noticed those small yellow signs that they put up which indicate when the entire street will be designated "no parking" for some reason. The reason they put on the sign said "Law and Order" and was dated during the following week. I thought, what if I hid a nano around here and then asked the reviewer to activate it the day and time of the filming.. :) What would a potential FTFer do? :D

They'd be mugged! What a silly question. :(

I have difficulty watching TV because writers have little or no experience and when they could consult real world they think some how they can dress it up, make it more accessible or interesting to TV viewers - like TV viewers aren't going to know the difference. :P

Let me know when they give something a fair treatment in TV.

This was a rerun, and Ambrosia posted links to the thread discussing it when it was new.

1. The two cachers are far more geekier than any geocachers I ever met. And that just goes to show you what outside parties (i.e. the writers for the show) think when they see our cache pages with WOOOHOOO!!! FFFFFFTTTTTFFFFFFF!!!!!!!! logs on them, along with FTF'ers being immortalized for all eternity on cache pages.

2. Hey, if they had a modern Garmin unit, CSX60 or newer, I suppose they'd get a signal in there. :D

3. And of course the Master Baiter turned out to be a total female geek as well.

The episode really disappointed me: rather than families spending time outdoors, kids having fun, hiking, beautiful scenery - no, it was caches halfway up the side of buildings and down active(!) subway tunnels. :)

That part cracked me up - and then when the girl took of running I was rolling. My wife thought I was going insane.

I was disappointed that the plot didn't continue to include caching for very long...