jAY miLLS 2007 Personal Geocoin

Dr. Whoever

Announcing: jAY miLLS 2007 Geocoin

You’ve seen his avatar and maybe seen the drawing. Now (Jim) jAY miLLS has his first personal geocoin. Below is the inspiration Jim wrote up himself to explain the meaning and dedication of his caching name and new geocoin.

Here is the direct link to the Sales: jAY miLLS 2007 Personal Geocoins

COIN: 1.75” x 3.5mm – 3-D Front, Imitation Hard Enamel 2-D Back

EDITIONS: Antique Gold (80 Minted), Antique Nickel (80 Minted), Antique Copper (80 Minted), Gold XLE (Only 10 made and only available from jAY miLLS)

MINTED BY: Castle Coins & Pins

AVAILABLE: Wednesday November 21st after 3 PM PACIFIC TIME

PRICE: All Antiqued Versions $9.49 each (Limit 2 per metal, per customer please)

All of the coins will not be available for purchase, After Thanksgiving you can contact jAY miLLS (Jim) and talk him out of one.

Jim’s (jAY miLLS’) Inspiration Story

The coin and my Avatar (Dread Locked Lion) were inspired by a trip to Jamaica my wife and I took a few years ago. We have been to Guatemala and Mexico also and are never ones to shy away from getting to know the culture, and Jamaica was no different. We jumped right in with both feet and stayed off the tourist track choosing to go out where the rubber meets the road as a manner of speaking to meet the natives and mingle in THEIR culture and on THEIR terms. After a couple of days and a few cultural hardships we were introduced to Rastafari when a Rasta named Ras Ikoke came around selling his wood carving warez to us. We struck up a conversation and I expressed a genuine interest in his way of life (it never fails to surprise me how far that little courtesy of showing interest in someone else’s culture goes) and we hit it off. Through Ras Ikoke I got to know Rastafari in a new way far from the holy herb smoking bunch of ragamuffins that are typically shown. We exchanged ideas and philosophies about many things large and small that plague the human condition. For 2 weeks Ras Ikoke was more or less our personal guide and we grew surprising close during that short period of time. Everywhere we went with Ras Ikoke we were treated with respect as we mingled freely and were accepted us as one of their own. In fact by the time it was over Ras Ikoke jokingly stated that were now officially "Jamerican" and always had a home there. My new friend Ras Ikoke and others mentioned more than once that we were roots people and that we had a Rasta heart (hence the name on the coin as well as the dread locked lion which is a powerful symbol of Rastafari). It took a while after that trip to understand what he meant by roots people, and Rasta heart, but I think I understand now. It is difficult to put to words and is an over simplification to be sure, but I think it is simply about keeping it real and seeing Ras Ikoke's culture and way of life as they really are with an open mind and with a clarity unfettered by misinformation, bias, and prejudgments that Ras Ikoke found rare in most visitors to his country. It was about peace and getting along harmoniously with I and I (a reference to self and the god within) as well as a reference to you and I. This coin is to honor Ras Ikoke for taking the time and allowing us the opportunity to get to know him and his culture.

JNickel.jpg

JCopper.jpg

JGold.jpg

JTrade.jpg

Edited by Castle Man

What a wonderful story and coin! Congratulations on your coin design and for your understanding of another culture. I always love to hear about how our fellow geocoin collectors come up with their avatars and their coin designs. Thanks for sharing your story.

I certainly hope I will be able to aquire one of these!

Oh mon,,, is this coin bringing back some fond memories!

The Mrs and I spent several weeks in Non-tourist Jamaica (Saint Marys) on several occasions enjoying the "richness" of the poverty that is so prevalent outside the tourist resorts. Jamaicans are some of the most friendly and sincere souls on this planet. Also some of the most misunderstood. I can't wait to visit again... enjoy some AKI, slap down some dominoes, snorkel for some fresh conch...memories?? no problem mon.

Can't wait til tomorrow to get this coin.

We just had to put our twoscents in for this coin and design, and from personaly meeting with Jay and his wife. They are remarkable people. Knowing from Experience how jamaician people are. We have friends that are Jamician and they really are truley down to earth type of people. The storey of your coin really hit our hearts. Congrads on the coin and we are glad that you had the oppertunity to go there. It really makes us to appreciate how good we have things sometimes. We could always be more worste off. When we were reaning this it almost was like we could just fill in your shoes and just imagine how it would be at that moment in their country. We love culture as well and hope to someday get to experience more of it ourselves as well. We hope to get a couple as well of your coins and Good luck on your coin sales Jay. I do have to give a shout out to you and Jackie for working on the design. Keep up the good job, and job well done.

Thanks for the kind words about the coin and I am happy my inspiration for the coin is enjoyed as well. <_< The trip to Jamaica was an incredible experience. This coin has been thought about for some time and it is fun and exciting watching it all come together.

Thanks go out to tadpole379 for drawing the 3D dread locked lion for me. Great job Jackie, I am proud of it and I hope you are too. :)

A HUGE thanks goes out to Jim at Castle Coins & Pins for helping make this coin a reality. You made it all possible. The English language doesn't contain the words required to express my gratitude so a humble and heart felt thank you will have to suffice. <_<

Gorgeous. Will the webpage be listed when the coins go on sale?

Yes it will. I'll add it later today. Just trying to follow the forum guidelines and not post a link except directly to the sales page.

Well, Jim, looks like the few that will be available for purchase will be gone in just minutes.

Awesome job Jackie and Jim....you got a great coin.

Thanks for the kind words about the coin and I am happy my inspiration for the coin is enjoyed as well. :D The trip to Jamaica was an incredible experience. This coin has been thought about for some time and it is fun and exciting watching it all come together.

Thanks go out to tadpole379 for drawing the 3D dread locked lion for me. Great job Jackie, I am proud of it and I hope you are too. :D

A HUGE thanks goes out to Jim at Castle Coins & Pins for helping make this coin a reality. You made it all possible. The English language doesn't contain the words required to express my gratitude so a humble and heart felt thank you will have to suffice. :D

I love how the coin turned out!! This isn't the first coin I have made, but I still love to see how a drawing on a piece of paper can come to life and become a coin!! And this one happened so quickly. I feel like it was only a few weeks ago that jAY was talking about minting a personal, and here it is already...:D

Congrats on your coin jAY, and I loved the story behind it, I hadn't heard the whole thing before!!

;):D:D

GEOCOIN FORUMS........HOW YOU FEELIN!!!!!!!!!!

Now you say.......IRIE!!!!!!!

yEAH mON...iTS LIKE dIS cOIN yOU sEE eR~ iTS dE cOIN sENT fROM jAH...tO sPREAD tHE rASTA hEART aLL oVAH!! ...yOU kNOW i mEAN eAR! iT wILL tRAVEL wIT dEE hEART oF dE rASTA!!!

i aND i tINK dIS oNE gO gOOD oN fRONT pAGE oF dE iRIE cOIN bOOK...vERY fIRT pAGE, yOU nKOW i mEAN!!!

jAH bLESS aRTIST...yOU aRE bLESSED wIT aRT oF rASTA

aND jAHS bLESSING TO jIM...hIM kNOW nOTHING lESS dAN, rASTA hEART...oNE lOVE!!!

Very Nice coin Jim, Jim and Jackie!...Got me as many as I possibly could!...2 of each metal! Im sendin one Travelin for sure...Maybe 2!!! One of my newest Favorites has just hit the shelf...Go get em!!!!

Edit: Just had to add how much I love that story Jim...Very cool experience you had over there...Tink I Wanna Be Jamerican!!! :D ... ;) Oh wait...I Think Im half Jamerican :D

:D:D LadyBee

Edited by 007BigD

This is a very beautiful coin! I love the story about immersing in a culture while traveling. It is something DH and I try to do when we travel as well. We have a particular affinity and love for the people of the Yucatan and the Mayan culture. We try to learn a few more Mayan words every time we go there. It is truly amazing what you can learn from all the other people that share this world with us.

Anyway, could not pass this up and purchased 2 of the copper coins. One will travel and one will stay home with me!

I received a beautiful LE of jAY's coin today. :huh: Thanks so much, Jim! This completes my set of four. I can't decide on a favorite so it's a four-way tie! It's a handsome design in each metal and made even more special by your inspiration for the art.

I know this isn't the only culture that has touched your heart, and maybe some day we'll see another jAY miLLS version inspired by other travels! :huh:

Thanks again, Jim, and congratulations on your beautiful coin! ;)

Yes it was indeed a great coin for a great guy... He was a special one that Jim, and he will never be forgot. Glad I was able to enlighten myself with his friendly presence, just wish I had met him in person.

If anyone has any of his personals for trade, I am attempting to collaborate as many as I can to getto his family and friends that either may not have had his coin or knew the side of Jim that we all did.

Thanks for bringing this one around Lana... He will be missed and was indeed Loved

~Rasta Heart, One Love~

It's always sad when one of the good ones goes. I never met Jim personally but had an email exchange with him that was kind and considerate - I was really impressed by his integrity. He will surely be missed.

Anybody know what happened to him? How he died?

3907948246_dcb99f78f4.jpg

It's always sad when one of the good ones goes. I never met Jim personally but had an email exchange with him that was kind and considerate - I was really impressed by his integrity. He will surely be missed.

Anybody know what happened to him? How he died?

3907948246_dcb99f78f4.jpg

PM coming

We should all focus on the good things in Jim's life! This is truly a very sad day, I'm sure we're all touched deeply by this.

I'd like to share my meeting Jim; at MWGB last year, Tod, KAboom and I headed over to Area 51 after a day of caching...KAboom of course didn't partake. Tod also was under the weather and basically hung out being my "chaparone" (he always did worry lol), I still took in waaay more of the fun than I probably should have. Well, while chatting with Amber and a few others, a friend introduced me to Jim who immediately gave me a bear hug and we chatted a bit before he handed me one of his wire-wrapped personals...I was stunned by this and will never forget his kindness. We chatted a few hours while enjoying the company of many. The kindness of an internet friend, then made into a personal friend...

I feel all of you are my friends, my virtual family. I think these forums have given us all a big warm "house" to come to and visit with one another. The house seems a bit empty today, sadness is enveloping. I will miss you, my friend, but will keep my mind focused on very fond memories to lift me from this sadness.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Good Point Roddy B)

I met Jim of course here...It was about the time of the infamous deafhunt saga's :rolleyes: I noticed his enthusiasm right away and the guy loved geocoins. All he wanted was to release some unactivated coins to spread some of the love that he was feeling here or see some pics of our collections, cuz he liked em B)

I took well to him right away just from his avatar pic and one late night, I decided "yeah, i like this guy" it was late and nobody was in the forums, so I held a one man cointest for him...it was simple, a little too simple, but it occupied our time for a few minutes and later he informed me how much that meant to him. He had not been able to sleep and was up with a horrible toothache when I caught him by surprize. He said that nothing worked better to make him feel better that night and my timing was perfect. :laughing: I sent him a Koala coin that I had mentioned in a previous post.

From then on, we stayed in contact and relayed messages back and forth to each other...He always told me that even though I was a dude, when we met he was gonna give me the worlds biggest bear hug :D I am so glad I was able to be friends with him...Just a pleasure I tell ya. He would also hit me up on here and try to drag me into the chat rooms when he got me, that always made me feel good even though I rarely visited the chats :anicute: In the past year or so, we would communicate on Facebook and thats how our contact stayed in place.

Just a swell guy and big ole teddy bear...Wish I could have met the guy and got that hug, but theres always next time buddy...Your in my heart friend, thanks for all the good times and fond memories of you

~Rasta Heart- One love~

I always wonder when I see an old thread brought to the top, OK, who's trying to buy an old geocoin now?

I was stunned to find this sad news instead. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Jay, and to the virtual friends he had here. He will be missed by all. And he will be immortalized in a way with his geocoins spread far and wide. I always did love that avatar. Rest in peace Jay.

I have been told the bad news some hours ago..... Oh boy.... B)

My deepest condolences to his family!!!

I remember his nice avantar and his beautiful coin!

I had seen it once in ebay and I liked it a lot! I think I had even asked for info about it! A beautiful lion!

I never had a chance to meet him from close, but we were talking in the forums, maybe not straight but I remember his posts in the same threads I was posting....

He had great posts with enthusiasm, humor... he was a great guy!!!

We will miss you Jim!!!!

Now... you went caching in Heaven! You will not be forgoten! The ones who have your coin will know that they have a part of you... your enthusiasm, the joy and the dream of making this beauty! For all the others (including me..) we will discover or help in their travels your coins that are still out!

We will see your icon in our page.... you will always be with us!

We will remember your avantar, your posts....

Rest in piece friend!!! Give our regards to all the other geocachers who left too soon....

For anyone that would like to go to jAY miLLS memorial service:

Sat. November 7th

Christ The Servant

2016 Center Rd.

Waukesha, WI

Visitation from 9am to 11am

Service starts at 11am.

If you have any questions or would just like to share your memories of Jim, feel free to call his son Brian at 1-920-619-3660. Jim's family would love to hear your memories of Jim.

Edited by BRoKeN W

I have been very upset since I heard the news. I have met Jim and really like him. I won't be able to attend the serivces and so I asked someone to sign the log book for me as LadyBee4T as I will be there in spirit but not in body. I'm not sure if they are going or not though. I then thought that maybe a group of us could send some flowers or a donation to his favorite charity and sign it "your caching family". What do you guys think?

I have been very upset since I heard the news. I have met Jim and really like him. I won't be able to attend the serivces and so I asked someone to sign the log book for me as LadyBee4T as I will be there in spirit but not in body. I'm not sure if they are going or not though. I then thought that maybe a group of us could send some flowers or a donation to his favorite charity and sign it "your caching family". What do you guys think?

Great idea Beverly. I don't mind taking monetary donations through my paypal account for it.