experiences with animals jumping out of holes

Mowhawkman

ok im sure we have all stuck our arms and hands in holes in the ground or in trees to see if a cache was

hidden within so are there any stories about critters jumping out at you that you would like to share. i was surprised the other day when i was searching for a cache and i thought this space in a tree would have been a good spot for the first clue as i reached in a mouse jumped out and i ended up grabing the mouses pile of s*** ewww. lol the clue wasn't there btw lol.

This wasn't while I was caching but I was raking in the back yard a few yrs ago with my mom and sister about this time of the yr and a snake (probably a poisonous one) popped his head out of a hole in the ground about a foot or two in front of me with his toungue popping out every so often. Now I am petrified of snakes, so I hollered over to my mom that there was a snake over here and she promptly pulled me back in my wheelchair because I was just frozen where I was and she took care of him. There have been very few if any times that I have been that scared.

We were looking for GCRDHH "Billy Goats Gruff", a deep woods cache. It was the dead of winter with lots of snow. And oh yeah this cache is in the same forest as GC13F4 "Porcupine Den", the place is full of the huggable little guys :huh: ! We found the tree we thought we were after, dug around in the snow at the base of the tree and found a good sized hole and we could see the ammo box waaay back in it. My wife went to stick her arm in and I said no wait, let me poke our hiking stick in there. I poked the stick in the hole and SOMETHING GRABBED THE STICK :laughing: ! It barked out a quick "gronk! gronk! snarggle! snarggle!" kind of noise and needless to say we didn't sign the log! We never knew for sure if we had disturbed a hibernating skunk, porcupine, or something else?

One other time we were caching with my parents in Pennsylvania, and my Mom reached in a tree knot for the cache and accidently disturbed a nest of newborn baby mice. She jumped back and some of the babies fell out, we scooped them up and put them back. She was greatly disturbed by it, she was afraid the mother would not return now that the babies had the scent of humans on them. :laughing:

I can't believe nobody has posted yet that you should not be reaching into any hole with your hand without checking it with something else first. I always use my hiking pole or a stick to poke in holes first. I even do the same after finding a cache. I move it around a bit with an object to get rid of any unwanted critters in advance. I once saw a snake laying on top of a cache.

well, I just put my head inside a tree and then I was surprised by a squirrel running straight to me (I guess it was her territory...). She didn't do anything it was quite nice actually but she almost stole the log book (I didn't upload the photo maybe I'll do it when I get back home).

polsko26.jpg

Edited by stsung

Not out Caching, but just hiking, and came to a narrow part of path, with tall reeds on each side.....

this little Whitetail fawn jumped out about 4ft away.... he/she went " Bawaaaa!!!!!" I went "Aaaaahhhh!!!" and we both jumped back like 10ft LMAO!!! ( it was like that thing in the movies where one persons screams, then the other then the first one louder then second one louder and repeat LOL)

Looking for a cache in the woods near a fenceline, there was a large rock on top of a metal fence post, I tipped the rock up to look under it and a white spider about the size of my hand leaped out and landed on my chest! Scared the swag outta me!! Luckily your body will react before your brain unfreezes and my hand knocked the spider off and my feet turned me around and ran me in the opposite direction well before I could start screaming,LOL. :P

Just lately I was walking up to a hollow tree at GZ and a squirrel bailed out of it when I got within about eight feet. That was a little startling. I thought that meant it was clear, but when I peeked in another nervous squirrel was looking back at me! That was a LOT startling!

d43c6d0a-3a4d-4c8e-a911-36d11c757ffb.jpg

While going after this cache we could hear a low growling noise. We couldn't figure out what it was so I carefully looked into the hole. The only thing in there was an ammo box but the growling persisted. As I stood up a desert hare bolted past my feet, scaring the crap out of me. (There's a ledge behind my knees that doesn't show in the picture.) I never knew a rabbit could growl like that. The cache is in the Valley of Fire - GCJA5R, Petrified Cache. Consider yourself warned!

ok im sure we have all stuck our arms and hands in holes in the ground or in trees to see if a cache was

hidden within so are there any stories about critters jumping out at you that you would like to share. i was surprised the other day when i was searching for a cache and i thought this space in a tree would have been a good spot for the first clue as i reached in a mouse jumped out and i ended up grabing the mouses pile of s*** ewww. lol the clue wasn't there btw lol.

Just the other day, my girlfriend and I were geocaching and a micro was hidden in a stump. We reached down and a huge toad jumped out and scared the crap out of us!!

Looking for a cache in the woods near a fenceline, there was a large rock on top of a metal fence post, I tipped the rock up to look under it and a white spider about the size of my hand leaped out and landed on my chest! Scared the swag outta me!! Luckily your body will react before your brain unfreezes and my hand knocked the spider off and my feet turned me around and ran me in the opposite direction well before I could start screaming,LOL. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heebeegeebees. I HATE SPIDERS!

I had a rubber lizard scare me once. Sad part was, it was toward winter, snow on the ground. Cache was tucked back up under the moss near a spring. Went to grab the cache and there say a rubber lizard. Made me jump back. That is about the only thing that has "jumped" out and scared me.

Oh wait...we were on our way to a cache. Walking along an old logging road. We came to an old washout. Just as we crossed, some roughed grouse scared the life right outta us.

1.) I had found the cache container,which was a bird house, and opened it. When I grabbed the log book, which was lying on the top of the swag, I mouse came running out.

2.) I was searching for a micro in the croch of somebuckthorn. I didn't see it, but about two feet above where I was searching sat a squirrel's nest. When that little tree rat came flying out at me, my son said, "I found it". The cache was at the bottom of the tree.

3.) While searching for a cache, I had tripped and fallen. I grabbed onto a branch to help pull me to by feet when it broke, tearing open a bee's nest. Yes, many, many stings.

Wasn't geocaching, but benchmark hunting. Close enough. Long hike, top of a mountain. Ever seen those old "Peak Logs" the Sierra Club likes to leave, in red painted cans? Picked up the can, put it about two inched from my eyeball to look inside. Stupid. Look what was living inside there:

80e73d67-673e-4bf0-a194-e2c127398819.jpg

Boy, did I drop that can fast! Then he posed for pics next to the benchmark disc. Thanks, little dude, for not sticking the stinger in me!