FTF then lost the cache!

Jonovich

Hi folks,

Yesterday afternoon as I was leaving work I got a Groundspeak notification for a new cache just 4 miles from my home, so I quickly downloaded it to my Garmin, called a friend to join me and headed out the door to meet up with him for a FTF hunt. We both met up and headed out into darkness of the surrounding woodland to find the cache... After lots of searching (and a fair amount of cursing once it started to rain), we found it and indeed, were FTF!!! Huzzah!!! Following a celebratory drink on our way back (and of course we couldn't resist bagging another cache) we signed into Geocaching.com to log our finds only to find the new cache wasn't there! We tried several searches and using the actual cache's Waypoint ID, but each time we tried to access the cache we got a screen saying we cannot view the cache until it is published!

Following an email to the reviewers it appears the cache had been un-published whilst we were out searching for it, as it was originally published without the correct land owner (Forestry comission) permission. So we're left feeling somewhat let down as all our effort and initial joy at finding it appears to of been for nothing. Has this happened to anyone else? Isn't it a bit out of order having the cache go as far as being published before finding out there isn't permission and then pulling it? I've emailed the cache owner and am currently waiting to hear if they are now applying for permission, but as yet, I haven't heard back.

** UPDATE ** apparently the cache setter is not going to be seeking permission for this cache and it will remain un-published/deleted... So a warning for FTF'ers... You may be in for a surprise when you get back from your hunt <_<

Jon & Ashleigh

Edited by Dakar4x4

You're first in the log book, so that makes you FTF.

There is a post going on the US forums where the FTF signs the log book, then purposely fails to log it on-line just to wind up the second "FTF'rs", until they log on-line and bitch about it. You won it fair and square.

There is a similar one near me (Burton On Trent), that was immediately suspended by Lactodorum, as he spotted it was on private land.

You're first in the log book, so that makes you FTF.

Maybe in the book we are first, but alas, the find will not be allowed on Geocaching.com as the cache no longer exists... So a good night out and alas, a FTF denied to my caching mate for whom this was his first successful one.... although I guess it's no longer "Successful" now <_<

There is a similar one near me (Burton On Trent), that was immediately suspended by Lactodorum, as he spotted it was on private land.

Do you know if anyone found it between it being published and it being un-published?

Jon

Has this happened to anyone else?

Exactly the same happened to me just five days ago.

Mine was a walk of four miles across the moor only to find it had been retracted soon after it was published. I wasn't that bothered about the logging of the cache but was concerned that I had placed the Diabetes Geocoin, which Cryptic Souls Crew sent down, in the cache.

I have been in contact with the owner and I know he is working to get the problem sorted so hopefully all will be back to normal soon.

If it carries on too long I will force myself to have another few hours out there <_< and retrieve the coin.

We were just on our way out when a cache popped up back in August LQ:Staffordshire - Ancient Oasis it was roughly on the route we were taking, so we printed the page (not enough time to download details) and went for it. We were FTFers got home later to log it and it had been disabled about 10 mins after being listed but at least we got to log it, shame its still disabled as it was a lovely woods.

Fingers crossed for you that it gets listed and you can both claim the FTF

Edited by gushoneybun
We were just on our way out when a cache popped up back in August LQ:Staffordshire - Ancient Oasis it was roughly on the route we were taking, so we printed the page (not enough time to download details) and went for it. We were FTFers got home later to log it and it had been disabled about 10 mins after being listed but at least we got to log it, shame its still disabled as it was a lovely woods.

Ive just recieved the required permission the above cache. Went out yesterday to replace it and spotted a minibus on the car park. Walked to the cache site and a group of people were all tidying up the woods right next to the cache site. The cache should be back this weekend. I hope.......