Intel on New Garmin units?

KD6QZX

I have just destroyed my trusy Garmin 60cs( I ran it over <_< )

I am looking to replace it and I see Garmin is offering a $50 rebate on the 60csx I am wondering if Garmin will be releasing new/different units in this class at say maybe the Consumer Electronics Show in Jan 2008????

I as well am looking at the Rino 530hcx that seems to be the same GPS unit as the 60csx with the addition of the radio features. Any thoughts......???

There may be some usable parts.... I called Garmin and they will replace it for $150. I would have to send htem the broken unit to get this deal. I aske if i could upgrade and they said no it is replacement only.

I did some searching on new GPS product and found Magellan has this comming out this month..... I bet Garmin wil be competitive.... GO GARMIN.... I have owned 6 of thier models , but I am seriously looking this magellan over.... touch screen and lots of features

http://www.magellangps.com/products/produc...amp;prodID=1910

I have a very nice looking 60CS but it has internal issues. Like you’ve said, not worth $150 to have Garmin fix and Garmin has become a lot more conservative with their repairs. Used to be a day when they would replace it free of charge but those days seemed to have disappeared. I’d give you $20 for it if the circuit board looks ok.

My thoughts on the 60CSx? I’ve owned some where around 48 units now. The 60CSx is the most impressive unit I’ve ever had. I know, I know, what about the HCx series? I have a Vista HCx but I absolutely hate the click stick! But others love it. Folks rave over being able to operate the etrex units with one hand. I have trouble with them but have no trouble operating the 60 series with one hand. It’s all a matter of holding them in your hand and seeing which one feel better to you because they are pretty equal as far as performance.

I think the $50 Garmin rebate is an attempt to make the 60C(S)x series price competitive to the newer released etrex H series. Other wise everyone would be buying the cheaper H series and they would be stuck with the 60 series.

As far as the Magellan, I’m very skeptical of the durability of a touch screen out in the wild. I don’t think much of Magellan’s Customer DisService and they don’t update maps very often.

I would definitely think that by the end of the 1st quarter of 2008 there will be a new 60 series gps released now that garmin settled its mapping dispute

if you are wondering about whether the 60csx is worth buying now..........I would say heck yea, its a great unite and not that expensive for the features you get if you use it frequently

but if you are willing to wait another 4 months and have around $500 to spend on a GPS then I would say wait