TB Grabbing

weston5

As a relative newbie, I’m a bit wary of just doing something on my own w/out confirming what I think is correct. I’ve read enough in the forums to know that people are quite persnickety (or is that passionate?). Anyway, I’ve just spent the past 45-60 minutes perusing various FAQ’s and forums, but still want to confirm what I want to do.

We’re headed out of town for Thanksgiving so I wanted to take some TB’s with us 1) to move them along and 2) to hype caching to my nephews that we’ll be visiting. I was hoping to find a couple of TB's this past weekend, but time and uncooperative weather spoiled our intended caching expedition so we have nothing to take.

I can easily and quickly get to a couple of caches that we have found previously that now have TB’s in them. Even though I have found the caches before, can I revisit them to take the TB’s? Initially, I didn’t think this would be OK, but after reading around, I believe TB etiquette gives me the “right” to do so, assuming the goal of a TB I grab can be maintained. For example, one of these caches that we have previously found is close to where I work. I can head out at lunch, tuck my dress pants in my geoboots, and retrieve the bug without too much effort vs. trying to find the time to hunt a new cache, which isn't an option now.

So, I think I’m OK. Right?

And despite my previous thinking, TB’s are not tradable items, so I don’t need to exchange anything when taking them. Right?

Let me also say that when grabbing the TB I know to log my visit as a Note, but not as a Find.

What is the opinion, if say, weather isn’t cooperative this weekend on our visit and we don’t get a chance to move the TB’s along? Obviously, I could hold on to them until we have a chance to cache locally (but, for no more than 2 weeks, right?), but would it be better for me to just put the TB's back in the caches that I originally took them from and log, via a Note, appropriately?

Also, what is the thinking about actually taking cache items that may interest me? For these, I would trade appropriately. Normally, I wouldn’t revisit a cache that I have previously found just to root through the swag, but in this case, where I’m doing so to grab a TB, is it OK if I swapped out something that I like?

Sorry so long, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing and only have a short amount of time to get all my answers.

Thanks.

Yes, feel free to revisit a cache to grab a TB and move it along (no need trade as you mentioned).

When there, feel free to trade for items as well - as long as you are trading fairly there is no issue.

You've already mentioned posting notes instead of finds, so you've got that covered.

As for re-dropping in the same cache if you can't move the TBs along - you can do that if you like. While the 2-week guideline is nice to follow, don't worry if the time it takes you to move them along is a bit longer. If you get worried, just drop the owner a note saying that you still have them and just haven't been able to get out recently. Most won't mind - it's the knowing that their TB is safe that is key.

Sounds like you have a handle on what you want to do & I don't see anything wrong with it. The only way you might tick someone (everyone?) off would be if there was a cache on your block that gets a lot of TB traffic & you run out every night to grab every TB that gets dropped in it, without regard to your ability to help them on their mission. In your case, grab those TB's & take them with you.

Most TB owners are grateful that their TB's are moving along. It seems to me that TB's aren't as prevalent as they used to be (they get lost).

If you visit a cache, you don't always have to post a note that you were there. If you grab a TB, you can retrieve it using it's tag number and then not have to post a note on the cache page. Some cache owners go in and delete all the notes anyway.

If you can't place the TB while you are away, and believe me, that happens a lot when you travel and think you can find large enough caches and they are all micros....... bring them back home, but to help the TB with mileage or movement, perhaps put them in a different cache than where you found them, if you can. If you can't, that's okay too.

Then, when you are home, take a breather, relax, and consider putting a TB hotel close to home. That will help you in the future if there are a lot of movables (TB's and geocoins) that need to come and go from your area.

Have a great week (and holiday), however you may enjoy it!

keila, fastforty, & q22q17:

Thanks for your replies. Went out to the two caches this morning before work. Unfortunately, was only able to grab one of the three TB's that were in the cache inventories. One was not properly grabbed when the log was written and the other left a note in the cache, but didn't grab it on-line. Aaargh. I've sent emails all around to get the offenders to fix their mistakes and to advise the TB owners.

Happy Thanksgiving.

P.S. Neither cache had anything else of interest, so I didn't do any trading.