Caching Trip from Ontario to Victoria (wanna join me?)

M3J

Like the Blues Brothers...."It's 4000km to Victoria, I've got a full tank of Air Miles, half of the Great White North Geotour caches done, its winter, and I'm wearing sunglasses (well, not at the moment)......HIT IT"

I have finally saved up enough Air Miles and have a few vacation days owing to me as I thought I might take a short 3 or 4 day trip out to Victoria, BC to grab not only the GWNG cache out there but also spend a couple days caching in some none winter weather (hopefully). I intend to fly out sometime between mid Jan and Mid Feb, likely leaving on a Wednesday or Thursday and returning the Sunday night.

Anyone interested in joinging me?

Let us know when you will be in Victoria and we'll try to plan an event that you could attend while you're here. Last time we had someone here from Australia we had an event and sent him back with a rubbermaid bin full of TB's that people wanted to be moved. Keep us posted!

Also, if you're looking for a caching guide while you're here let me know and I'll see what my schedual is like!

Cheers!

Tim (from krisandtim)

M3J... feel free to contact us when you know your schedule and we can provide your with our cell in case you need to access 'dial-a-hint' for the GWN Geotour (or other caches for that matter :P ) while you're here.

We have a local 'Hide n' Go' cache every winter. It's not scheduled yet, but is usually mid to late February.

Do you have any sort of goals for your caching holiday here that you care to share?

Thanks for the offers Tim and Landsharkz (btw, your new shark coins were a big hit at our Oktobercache event....nicest coins I have ever seen...thanks again!!). I will definately take you up on it. At this point, I will likely be out jan 18-21.

In terms of goals, not really (other than the GWN cache). My big goal this year has been to get to a place where I will hit cache number 2000 on my 40th birthday which is Jan 31. Since I was only at about 730 this past Jan 31, that meant almost 1300 caches in one year. I have had a smoking year,however, and am only 137 from my goal so I actually have to slow down a bit (have averaged about 105 a month this year and still have 2 months till Jan 31). In terms of a numbers goal, for Victoria I'd be happy to hit 40 or 50. I'd like to do the scenic ones for sure so I can bring my SLR with me (did over 100 in a three day weekend out in Nova Scotia this summer...55 in one day, so this will be going easy for me :blink: )

Feel free to email me through my profile if you have any advice on "must do" caches out there.

Thanks again!

OK, the flight is booked. I arrive out there Jan 17 at around 9:30pm and leave first thing monday the 21st.

Any advice on a cheap but non scummy place to stay?

Also, other than the Geotour cache, what are the "must do" caches out there?

Thanks for the advice locals! Feel free to email me through my profile if you'd prefer.

OK, the flight is booked. I arrive out there Jan 17 at around 9:30pm and leave first thing monday the 21st.

Any advice on a cheap but non scummy place to stay?

Also, other than the Geotour cache, what are the "must do" caches out there?

Thanks for the advice locals! Feel free to email me through my profile if you'd prefer.

M3J...check out any of the motels on Gorge Road or the Traveller's Inn chain. There are many Traveller's Inns in town so take your pick.

I've e-mailed you about the 'must do's question to clarify your vision of 'must do' :unsure:

As LS said. What is a "must do" for you? Every one is different. Are multi's off the list? Are you a hiker, or do you prefer a numbers run? How about hills (we have some big ones here)? Some people have knee's that "speak" going uphill for long periods. Are history related caches your "thing"? , etc.

So many variables, which is what makes this hobby appealing!

PS: Make sure you bring wet weather gear! It's amazing how wet you get here, even when it's not raining.

Ick... we've suggested a day aboard SV Jolie so M3J can have coffee at Fulford Harbour or Ganges :D

Good choices are Mt. Wells, Mt. Doug, Gowlland Tod, 10 Mile Pt and a few virtuals downtown for good measure. Perhaps you and Raven the WonderDog could play hookie for a day and make sure he comes off Mount Wells safely ... nudge, nudge, :D:D . We can't have the tourists going home with 'scratch marks' ;)

M3J...to echo Ickster - bring waterproof gear if you have it!

Thanks to all for your advice.

Ick, I really just want to go places that are nice...I may spend a little time doing some urban caches but I'd rather see the countryside or at least rural areas around Victoria. A city is a city in my books (I know, I'm sure Victoria is pretty...I'm from Ottawa originally...it is nice too but I still love the country and nature more).

I have some physical limitations but am not at all abject to some challenging hikes if they take me to pretty places to whip out my Nikon.

I will be building a bookmark of caches I am thinking about and will post the link here once its done to get some feedback.

Thanks again all....I am really pumped about the trip. I just connected on Facebook with a friend I havn't seen in 25 years and it turns out he is out there so a few beers will be consumed I am certain.