Questions for TPTB

ReadyOrNot

Sorry if I sound jaded...

If they do something that is contrary to the Mission Statement espoused here will you hold them to it?

Mission Statements and Vision Statements have become a quick buzzword, and are touted as the "end all" of making a company work. I would much rather that a company have a simple core focus.

Geocaching.com might be "We are a listing service for Geocaches (containers with a logbook, referenced by a set of coordinates)."

Groundspeak might be "We are a company that strives to make it fun for people to use GPS and other location based technology."

Then with that core focus, at the Monday morning corporate meetings, they could always counter any new idea with whether it fits in the core focus of either Geocaching.com or Groundspeak. If it doesn't fit in either, then they either dismiss it, or look to expand their core focus.

In that vein:

Traditional Caches (any size) = Geocaching.com

Travel Bugs and Geocoins = Groundspeak

Cool Locations without a container = Groundspeak (Waymarking)

GPS Maze = Groundspeak

Events = Groundspeak (not about a container, but a gathering of people that find them)

So even those simplistic definitions would have to be scrutinized. The "container with a log book" seems like a slam dunk to me, but it would mean that the Events would no longer be on Geocachin.com as events that would increase a find count - but as a gathering listed on Groundspeak.

A question for you, to get some insight (and I'm not trying to be smart-alecky or anything)... Why is this important?

(edited for spelling and formatting)

Edited by Markwell

And whaddaya know... Groundspeak.com page:

Groundspeak enables people to create and share interactive location-based experiences in the real world using a unique combination of technology and the internet.

Groundspeak continues to develop tools to help GPS enthusiasts create unique adventures in the real world.

Sorry if I sound jaded...

If they do something that is contrary to the Mission Statement espoused here will you hold them to it?

Mission Statements and Vision Statements have become a quick buzzword, and are touted as the "end all" of making a company work. I would much rather that a company have a simple core focus.

Geocaching.com might be "We are a listing service for Geocaches (containers with a logbook, referenced by a set of coordinates)."

Groundspeak might be "We are a company that strives to make it fun for people to use GPS and other location based technology."

Then with that core focus, at the Monday morning corporate meetings, they could always counter any new idea with whether it fits in the core focus of either Geocaching.com or Groundspeak. If it doesn't fit in either, then they either dismiss it, or look to expand their core focus.

In that vein:

Traditional Caches (any size) = Geocaching.com

Travel Bugs and Geocoins = Groundspeak

Cool Locations without a container = Groundspeak (Waymarking)

GPS Maze = Groundspeak

Events = Groundspeak (not about a container, but a gathering of people that find them)

So even those simplistic definitions would have to be scrutinized. The "container with a log book" seems like a slam dunk to me, but it would mean that the Events would no longer be on Geocachin.com as events that would increase a find count - but as a gathering listed on Groundspeak.

A question for you, to get some insight (and I'm not trying to be smart-alecky or anything)... Why is this important?

(edited for spelling and formatting)

Amen! Thank you for saying this! I much agree!

I want to know because it might give some insight into the direction they are planning on going in the future. If you look at the changes to geocaching since it's inception until now, it would be interesting to hear what trends they see moving forward over the next few years.

I have hope that maybe we'll start hearing some information since opinioNate has joined the forums. I just would like to get an idea of where we are heading and what obstacles are seen in that journey.

I actually wrote this on my "self assessment" form at work one year prior to my yearly review:

Going forward, after forward looking, by performing a paradigm shift, empowering myself to work as a team player by thinking outside the box.

Mission statements are probably the most ridiculed thing a company ever thought of.

Oh my yes. Our future is obviously world domination through subversive religion masquerading as science.

It's good to know that the focus has remained clear and progress is being made.

Ah, man. The plantinum members <_< were told the subversive plot was to make $$ ONE MILLION DOLLARS. $$

<_<

Oh my yes. Our future is obviously world domination through subversive religion masquerading as science.

It's good to know that the focus has remained clear and progress is being made.

Ah, man. The plantinum members <_< were told the subversive plot was to make $$ ONE MILLION DOLLARS. $$

<_<

By my lights, your strange assertion is not at all true. I distinctly remember being advised repeatedly via the Platinum Cabal Bulletin that our org's secret agenda was world domination through subversive religion masquerading as a techno-geek/scientific hobby and sport. Check your back issues, particularly March 2006.

Sheesh!

Mission statements are probably the most ridiculed thing a company ever thought of.

When they are just a bunch of words, I agree. When they define and shape the direction of a company and the company treats them as such, they are great. I've been employed by companies that shouldn't have them and companies that truely are shaped by them. I much prefer the later.

Mission statements are for people who overplan and have no concept of organic evolution.

I really miss the bumbling about in the dark until you find something that seems to work.

I've been in too many organizations that do it the "bumble around" way <_< There's nothing like good planning... There's always the government way though.. Talk about talking about making decisions.

Where do you see geocaching in 5 years, given current trends?
I think in 5 years Groundspeak will have to acquire a light post installation company, because there won't be enough places left to hide geocaches. <_<
Nah...

In 5 years everyone will have realized how lame LPCs are, mainly because of the development of FCISDs.

That is, Film Canisters In Storm Drains.

So much cooler than an LPC!

<_<

Where do you see geocaching in 5 years, given current trends?
I think in 5 years Groundspeak will have to acquire a light post installation company, because there won't be enough places left to hide geocaches. <_<
Nah...

In 5 years everyone will have realized how lame LPCs are, mainly because of the development of FCISDs.

That is, Film Canisters In Storm Drains.

So much cooler than an LPC!

<_<

You've been to Raleigh too I see!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

With the other issues that Groundspeak faces at this point, I certainly hope the the task of developing a Mission Statement is the very last thing on the "to do" list. I have no desire to hear from TPTB on this myself.

In other words, would you like them to stop working on improving the site speed to work on this for you? Show of hands from the rank and file cacher trying to log a find on Sunday?

With the other issues that Groundspeak faces at this point, I certainly hope the the task of developing a Mission Statement is the very last thing on the "to do" list. I have no desire to hear from TPTB on this myself.

In other words, would you like them to stop working on improving the site speed to work on this for you? Show of hands from the rank and file cacher trying to log a find on Sunday?

I agree... Would be cool to know what they are working so hard on though <_<

Site speed improvement and retooling the site for GC.com.

Also, the Wherigo page says that there will be a launch on January 7, 2008.

Hmmmmm.. Wherigo looks pretty interesting. Is that a Groundspeak project?

Hmmmmm.. Wherigo looks pretty interesting. Is that a Groundspeak project?

Intriguing, just for now. <_<

It looks like it. The domain is registered by GSP.

I used the Dilbert Mission Statement Generator for this one..........

"Our challenge is to collaboratively disseminate progressive resources and professionally coordinate principle-centered infrastructures while maintaining the highest standards"

I had to use a search engine to find the Dilbert Mission Statement Generator. I love it. We could have used it last month when we spent 2 hours of professional development time trying to generate something 'appropriate' for the space on the paper we have to fill out for nice folks that rate us for our accreditation. Seems it isn't good enough nowdays for a school to say "Our mission is to educate children" You have to include numerous pedagogical buzzwords and it can't be too clearly stated or it's too simplistic and naïve.