Christmas present question

janewton

http://www.target.com/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-...Agps&page=1

I am considering buying this as my first gps for geocaching...will it be able to do the job I need it to do? I don't know how these things work so I wonder if I can put coordinates in it and it will direct me to the cache...also is it in pretty much real time or does it need so long to refresh?

<_< Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

I am considering buying this as my first gps for geocaching...will it be able to do the job I need it to do? I don't know how these things work so I wonder if I can put coordinates in it and it will direct me to the cache...also is it in pretty much real time or does it need so long to refresh?

It will do the job, but is certainly not state-of-the-art. It does suffer somewhat in heavy tree cover and lacks many of the features of more recent models, but I found a lot of geocaches with my Legend before moving up to something newer.

The Legend is a great starter GPS'r. I have had mine for almost 2 years and have found almost 200 caches with it. I just recently upgraded to a Vista HCx, but just because I wanted to.

I use Mapsource and TOPO maps with the Legend and you can either import waypoints via geocaching.com directly or using a PQ you can use multiple software to do the job. Or you can manually enter the waypoints as well, I did this for 6 months.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and I never missed them, or wanted them until I got my Vista.

In tree cover, it does loose it's satelitte lock, but I think all the older units did.

All in all, a great starter GPS.

Can you enter coordinates and it tell you how many feet you are from it and if you are moving in the right direction?

I don't know anything about the Legend but it's cheaper here. http://www.walmart.com/cart.gsp?add_list=1194193,1|

Where can you get a vista HCx for a decent price?

You can get the Vista HCX at REI dot com for $219 right now. They are sale unit the 26th I believe. This is a good company to order from. Their special is listed on their home page. Good luck and welcome to geocaching.

Yes it will and just as good as all the other units. Yes, there are more sensitive gps units on the market, with more options but they are also more expensive. Yes, like all the other GPS units, you can enter the coordinates and it will lead you to the spot in question. The importance is to have a GPS unit with WAAS. This makes the GPS much more accurate.

However, the Legend that you have chosen is bit expensive. You can find them cheaper elsewhere.

If you do not have any intentions of buying mapping software etc for your GPS, the Lowrance iFinder GO is just as good as the Legend at almost half the price. http://www.target.com/iFINDER-Go-16MB-GPS/...5654332-5282551 You may even find the iFinder GO at a lower price elsewhere.

A few years ago, few geocachers had high sensitive GPS units and that did not stop them from geocaching. I have used ancient GPS units (Garmin 45 and 1994 Lowrance GlobalNav 200) with no problem in the bush and in my vehicules. The GlobalNav 200 even worked in the back seat of my Suzuki Sidekick. In the bush, I never lost reception....but then again, the tree canopy is not very dense up here in Quebec. It's mostly conifers and no canyons.

There are GPS units with the new high sensitive reception and without mapping too. Ex. The Garmin Etrex H.

Things like mapping capability and colour screens add much more to the price of a GPS. Like the Legend you have spotted or the iFinder GO, they all have the same basic map already installed but you can buy software to add detail to the base map on the GPS units with mapping.

Since you live in Arizona in an area where there are lots of narrow canyons, maybe buying a more sensitive GPS is an option you should seriously consider.

Edited by phern47

Another reason to get a newer GPSr is because they connect to a computer with USB instead of with the Serial Port. The price of the Vista HCx at REI is very good.

Thanks for all the good advice...and I am from Alabama, which is heavy woods...thanks again...this has helped!

Thanks for all the good advice...and I am from Alabama, which is heavy woods...thanks again...this has helped!

Now, all that is left to do is ask yourself if you want to add detailed maps to your GPS or not. And since you may want detailed maps, then there is the choice of a colour screen or not.

If you decide against a GPS with mapping capabilities then a monochrome screen is very adequate.

If you decide to buy the Etrex Legend like you said at the start....it has mapping capabilities and has a 16 level monochrome screen.

Edited by phern47