TB Mileage Not Showing Up

NightShift79

ok, i have had this same issue for well over two months now and after several tries each @ contacting both groudspeak directly and a couple moderators, i still have no solution to my problem. i think i might have even posted somewhere on the forum about this, but i can't remember. so i'm posting here (possibly again, and if i'm repeating myself here, i'm very sorry) in the hopes that someone can help me out. here is my issue (which btw is a direct cut and paste from the email i just sent off [again] to Groundspeak):

we went on vacation and dropped our first bug (referance number TB197QW) on july 24, 2007, not realizing at the time that we were supposed to log it in and out of a cache here at home in order to have the distance it was about to travel on vacation count towards its total kms. so, after realizing our mistake well after our vacation in july, i went back and backlogged a drop in a cache here at home and then an immediate retrieval from that same cache...those logs were dated the day before we left for vacation, july 20, 2007. now, theoretically i should have a bug that started here at home, then logged our vacation travel miles once we dropped it on vacation....and then of course any other miles it has gained since its been picked up from the cache we left it in. however, the ONLY kms showing are the ones that have been logged since being picked up from the cache we left it in. the backlogged kms i added are not showing. and you said based on your calculations it would be about 500 km's off, when actually, according to my mapping software, the distance between us here at home and the vacation cache, birds eye view, should be closer to 590 kms. to further clarify, we are talking about the distance between the caches GCZB9A and GCYVJQ.

i am getting very frustrated by all these technical problems. i have never had an issue with the site and any glitches until dealing with my own travel bug. once this particular situation gets resolved, is it going to keep repeatedly happening? am i going to have to always fight to get the correct km's belonging to my bug to show up?

if anyone has anything to contribute here that might help me out, i'd love to hear it. and yes, i have tried the "recalculate distance" option and it did not work. i am really getting frustrated over this whole issue ;).

Okay, I could be wrong, and some of the gurus here may be better at this than me, but here goes......

I think you would have needed to delete the drop log for the cache you placed it in while on vacation.

By pre-dating the drop and grab at home, the "system" at GC doesn't see the pre-dated miles, because it's first real drop had already happened.

The only way to catch it up, if it's that important (and this will take a fair amount of work on your part), would be to:

1. delete all the TB drop and grab logs

2. start over and drop it at home, grab it

3. then log it in and out of the caches it has visited with a NOTE (not a found it) on each of the cache pages, until...

4. it is in its current resting place.

If your TB is in the hands of someone right now, tell them what you are doing so that they don't wonder how on earth you grabbed it from them. Then when you are finished, have them grab it back directly from you, or the cache they picked it up from.

This SHOULD correct the mileage, if it's that important to you, and if you want to go to all that work. I would recommend you do it all in one sitting (don't start then finish another day). And be mindful of the dates.

If you don't want to go to all that work, just have fun and be happy that your TB is on the move!! <_<

thank you q! that is the first real answer i've gotten.....at least one that tells me to try something that sounds like it might work.

i will try that later tonite and post here again to let you know of my results (if any).

its not that much work deleting all those logs as it hasnt really visited many caches yet (three i think). so its no big deal. and yes it is important to me because it was my first one and thats kind of a big deal <_<

thanks again!

Okay, I could be wrong, and some of the gurus here may be better at this than me, but here goes......

I think you would have needed to delete the drop log for the cache you placed it in while on vacation.

By pre-dating the drop and grab at home, the "system" at GC doesn't see the pre-dated miles, because it's first real drop had already happened.

The only way to catch it up, if it's that important (and this will take a fair amount of work on your part), would be to:

1. delete all the TB drop and grab logs

2. start over and drop it at home, grab it

3. then log it in and out of the caches it has visited with a NOTE (not a found it) on each of the cache pages, until...

4. it is in its current resting place.

If your TB is in the hands of someone right now, tell them what you are doing so that they don't wonder how on earth you grabbed it from them. Then when you are finished, have them grab it back directly from you, or the cache they picked it up from.

This SHOULD correct the mileage, if it's that important to you, and if you want to go to all that work. I would recommend you do it all in one sitting (don't start then finish another day). And be mindful of the dates.

If you don't want to go to all that work, just have fun and be happy that your TB is on the move!! <_<

i just thought of something: not that this REALLY matters i guess, other than in terms of keeping things true, but if i delete a drop log that someone else left and then go back and re drop it myself in that cache, the record of the OTHER person dropping it is gone, right? in other words, it'll show that i, myself, dropped it, not the true person right? and then in deleting their logs wont that mess with their list of tb's found? if i'm deleting all record of them grabbing and dropping my bug, wont that make it not exist in their log of trackables they've participated in?

Edited by CowntyCupl

Yes, you are right. It will lower their TB's found count, by one.

You need to weigh which is more important, the mileage for your TB or their find count.

Or, another thing you could do, is enlist the help of the 3 people who helped move it. Good luck with that.

My first couple of TB's were "starter" TB's. It took me a few to figure out how I wanted them to travel, then I started them from the closest cache to my house, then out into the world from there.

Good luck!

Yes, you are right. It will lower their TB's found count, by one.

You need to weigh which is more important, the mileage for your TB or their find count.

Or, another thing you could do, is enlist the help of the 3 people who helped move it. Good luck with that.

My first couple of TB's were "starter" TB's. It took me a few to figure out how I wanted them to travel, then I started them from the closest cache to my house, then out into the world from there.

Good luck!

yeah i thought of enlisting the help of the others but i dont know if i can get answers from them via email on the same day. like you said, this all should happen in the same day. so i dont know..... <_<

and yeah, this was our first one. so we're still kinda working out the kinks. i think i got it down now, but i'm trying to fix the mistakes i made with it before. such is life!

thanks again!