id like to make a request

savage16

So I'm making a treck from lexington to new york on a charter bus. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to grab some caches at the rest areas along the way, the problem is none of the rest areas we have stopped at so far are "un-cached". I think there should be a rule on caches being mandatory at rest areas. Any other opinions to share?

I think there should be a rule on caches being mandatory at rest areas. Any other opinions to share?
Hmm...

Who is responsible for placing such caches? For maintaining them?

What about those rest areas where there isn't really a safe place to put a cache? There are an awful lot of cars and trucks racing around such areas?

What about those areas where permission may be a problem?

If this were to come to pass, can we add a requirement that the cache not be hidden in a guardrail or a lamp post?

;)

So I'm making a treck from lexington to new york on a charter bus. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to grab some caches at the rest areas along the way, the problem is none of the rest areas we have stopped at so far are "un-cached". I think there should be a rule on caches being mandatory at rest areas. Any other opinions to share?

Not allowed in Wisconsin. From their website: "Geocaching at Wisconsin Department of Transportation Roadside Facilities is not permitted at Department roadside facilities."

I think their website was edited by the Wisconsin Department of Redundancy, but their point is clear.

I can't say what other states allow.

I think their website was edited by the Wisconsin Department of Redundancy...
Actually, it's the "State of Wisconsin's Division of Wisconsin State's Taskforce on Repetetiveness and Redundancy" not to be mistaken for "Wisconsin's Order of Reiterating Dualistic Yarning," aka WORDY.

The fact that they don't allow falls under my question about permission being an issue. I suspect, frankly, that if permission was asked for at all the rest areas where there are caches, the answer would be much the same. Too much liability for the state for 'em to say "Sure! Take your family and run 'em all over the parking lot. I'm sure the semi drivers won't hit you... too hard...." <_<

Edited by Too Tall John

From what I've read in these forum threads, most rest area caches are far from being nice. They usually end up near the "dope stashes," near the "pickle hunter section," near the bathrooms, or in the trashy areas.

This is a lame idea that should never be made into a rule.

Well, the thing about forums (and news, etc.) is that a lot of times you hear the worst thing because that's what people like to talk about.

I can say that all the rest area caches I've been to here in washington have been good...in fact some of them have been some of the better caches I've been to. I've also been to rest area caches in other states (mostly northern, probably from between here and wisconsin), and they've been fine, as well.

Edited by Ambrosia

From what I've read in these forum threads, most rest area caches are far from being nice. They usually end up near the "dope stashes," near the "pickle hunter section," near the bathrooms, or in the trashy areas.

Well, the thing about forums (and news, etc.) is that a lot of times you hear the worst thing because that's what people like to talk about.

I can say that all the rest area caches I've been to here in washington have been good...in fact some of them have been some of the better caches I've been to. I've also been to rest area caches in other states (mostly northern, probably from between here and wisconsin), and they've been fine, as well.

The same can be said of the rest stop caches we've grabbed going from California to Arizona. All were out int the desert, a short walk from the rest stop, giving you a chance to stretch your legs, walk the dogs, and grab a cache. I doubt than any of them were close enough to the stop to require permission. Depending on the stop, they can be done well.

I am not sure about other stats since I don't get out of state much. But the rest areas around here have picnic areas and usually a decent field attached to them. I have only found 1 rest area cache but I thought it was in a good spot away from the normal flow to the resting area...

I'll preface this by saying I've found one or two that were in 'less-than-pleasant' surroundings, but for the most part, the rest area caches I've found have been pretty decent. Michigan rest areas are often accompanied by a nature/walking trail through an obligatory woodlot.

I really look forward to hitting these, since I'm one of those drivers that will tend to get drowsy if I don't stop fairly regularly. It's a nice break from the monotony. They can also stretch a two or three hour drive into a four to six hour drive; well, those and the park n ride and close to the highway finds. <_<

I believe in PA, they were just recently banned from rest stops. We had an overzealous worker at one of ours who hassled just about anyone looking for it, even when the hider had permission to place it there. Apparently this changed into the state prohibiting them, but I believe they are still looking into getting this changed back.

I'm all for it being mandatory. A chicken in every pot, and a cache in every rest stop. :ph34r: Well, except in Pennsylvania, I guess. <_<

I believe in PA, they were just recently banned from rest stops. We had an overzealous worker at one of ours who hassled just about anyone looking for it, even when the hider had permission to place it there. Apparently this changed into the state prohibiting them, but I believe they are still looking into getting this changed back.

Wonder if that would be the overzealour worker that kicked us out of a PA rest stop last year telling us to return in the daylight (we were there at 11PM), then another cacher was prompted to leave the next afternoon. Permission was given for the cache, but it still was not fun to be kicked off the property with threats of getting the police involved when your from another country. Looking at that cache, it is still active. I enjoy most rest area caches, gives a chance to pull over and stretch, especially when towing.

"pickle hunter section"

I think I've missed those signs when pulling into a rest top...seen the "dog walk" area signs (people ignore them)...seen the "trailer parking" signs...never seen the "pickle hunter" sign

I'm planning a trip from NJ to VA this Sunday, where I'll be for 3 weeks. I've got a few caches to do along the way, hoping to get some in parts of NJ that I haven't hit yet for the DeLorme challenge, also I am planning on hitting up at least 1 in Maryland, and Delaware and a few in Virginia while I'm there and I'm even plotting some in DC, where I hope to spend a weekend. During the trip i have noticed Some at rest stops, but not nearly enough to avoid taking detours off the highway. Havign mroe at rest stops would make this easier and more enjoyable for me, but there's not way to require cachers to hide a cache.

I'm still curious how you can make a spot mandatory for a cache location. This is a game that volunteers place objects places. How can you force cache placement and maintenance for volunteers. The only way I would think that this could come close to mandatory is just having a state sponsored cache at each location that is maintained by the grounds crew for the site, but since that takes money and time i don't see any states volunteering for this.

Posted this on my local forum...

I'm not really in favor of placing a cache because of any requirement other than the person WANTS to place a cache and has a good spot to place it (and that they can maintain it). If those 3 things aren't met, I don't think any other extrinsic motivation should be in place for a person to plant a cache.

I have had good experiences with rest stop caches. For example, between Bloomington and Moline, IL, on I-74 there are three pairs of rest stops and I have found caches in all of them. As others have said, all of these have a picnic area and a more or less undeveloped wooded area (where the caches are usually hidden). You don't have to go anywhere near the traffic areas. In fact one of these rest areas is large enough to have two caches - one at each end. When I logged my most recent find in one of these areas, the previous finder said in his log, "Thanks for placing a trucker friendly cache." I thought that was cool.

I'm still curious how you can make a spot mandatory for a cache location. This is a game that volunteers place objects places. How can you force cache placement and maintenance for volunteers. The only way I would think that this could come close to mandatory is just having a state sponsored cache at each location that is maintained by the grounds crew for the site, but since that takes money and time i don't see any states volunteering for this.

'Zackly! I find the entire proposal to be very odd... If the OP is really that driven and dedicated and obsessed about this notion, then it would be most fitting for him or her to hire local cachers to emplace such caches at rest stops in their area. ...all very odd... Must be a full moon... or maybe I am cranky today... <_<

All of the rest area stops caches I've found have been good ones. I'd love to see a "Rest Area" attribute that could be set on the cache page so I could do a Pocket Query for them along a route.

Ditto. I made a trip to the Black Hills earlier this fall and stopped at many. A few probably could have used some TLC, others were in fantastic condition. All were easy finds, as they should be. All provided some nice respite from the highway. None were in said "pickle section".

PS: It is my understanding that Wisconsin allows 1 cache per rest stop.

All of the rest area stops caches I've found have been good ones. I'd love to see a "Rest Area" attribute that could be set on the cache page so I could do a Pocket Query for them along a route.

I guess I am confused...if you are using the find caches along a route feature aren't they showing up now, or you mean just so you can filter specifically on that?

Many people missed the following post and remain keyed on the 'mandatory' comment.

I don't know about making them madatory but I would like to see more at the rest stops. It adds something to look forward to along a route beside asphalt.
That's what I meant I was just preoccupied with the people passing by me on the bus and couldn't concentrate

Not allowed in Wisconsin. From their website: "Geocaching at Wisconsin Department of Transportation Roadside Facilities is not permitted at Department roadside facilities."

I think their website was edited by the Wisconsin Department of Redundancy, but their point is clear.

I can't say what other states allow.

<_<:ph34r::ph34r: oooooh I know where there are some in WI, breakin' the law, breakin' the law...

I guess I am confused...if you are using the find caches along a route feature aren't they showing up now, or you mean just so you can filter specifically on that?
The rest area caches would come up, as would any other cache in the general area of the interstate. By using the attribute filter, you could run a PQ for just the rest area caches and leave the rest. Of course, this only works if everyone were to use the attribute.

We're sure that OP was not serious about 'mandatory'. That being said, we greatly enjoyed the westbound Mass Pike series last year, on a return trip from Maine. A great opportunity to stretch the legs. Next year, we'll try the eastbound series. The ones in CT on the Tpke were off the tpke, so we only found one of them on the way up.

Yes, a Rest Stop attribute would be good to have.

:)<_<<_< oooooh I know where there are some in WI, breakin' the law, breakin' the law...

I've stopped at some nice rest stop caches in Wisconsin, too. What I find interesting is that according to the WDOT website, it's not just hiding caches that's not allowed, searching for them is also not allowed. Don't take this a meaning I agree with their decision. I have seen some very nice rest areas that are almost screaming for a cache. Just passing along some info...

From WDOT:

Geocaching at Wisconsin Department of Transportation Roadside Facilities is not permitted at Department roadside facilities.

Wisconsin Department of Transportation Policy:

"The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has reviewed geocaching activity information in March 2005 and has indicated that it will not be allowed at Department roadside facilities. This is something that the Department cannot allow at rest areas, Wisconsin Welcome Center's, or even at their waysides for reasons of liability/safety. They do not wish to open the door to other activities such as paintball, regular sports activities/leagues, ultimate frisbee, etc. all of which present problems. They will not allow any of this type of activity at any of their roadside facilities. Any geocaching activity that has already been initiated should be terminated. The Department has no problem with this "geocaching" activity in and of itself - it just doesn't belong in the Department's roadside facilities."

<_<<_<:) oooooh I know where there are some in WI, breakin' the law, breakin' the law...

I've stopped at some nice rest stop caches in Wisconsin, too. What I find interesting is that according to the WDOT website, it's not just hiding caches that's not allowed, searching for them is also not allowed. Don't take this a meaning I agree with their decision. I have seen some very nice rest areas that are almost screaming for a cache. Just passing along some info...

From WDOT:

Geocaching at Wisconsin Department of Transportation Roadside Facilities is not permitted at Department roadside facilities.

Wisconsin Department of Transportation Policy:

"The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has reviewed geocaching activity information in March 2005 and has indicated that it will not be allowed at Department roadside facilities. This is something that the Department cannot allow at rest areas, Wisconsin Welcome Center's, or even at their waysides for reasons of liability/safety. They do not wish to open the door to other activities such as paintball, regular sports activities/leagues, ultimate frisbee, etc. all of which present problems. They will not allow any of this type of activity at any of their roadside facilities. Any geocaching activity that has already been initiated should be terminated. The Department has no problem with this "geocaching" activity in and of itself - it just doesn't belong in the Department's roadside facilities."

I don't see that as saying that searching for a geocache is against the law. Clearly, it is saying that any geocachers placed are done so against permission. That being said, if while making my legal rest stop, I wander over to the picnic tables and log a micro, I didn't break a law.

Here in South Africa many of the roadside attractions have caches placed at them. It makes trips very nice to stop in for a quick bite and a cache, or just a cache.

The rest area caches I have done in the states have been dodgy. So placement is key. Not in the sausage hunter areas!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I don't use the caches along a route feature provided here though. I do it the "old fashioned way" using a route and the arc/poly filter in GSAK. I like the results much better. I do get the rest stop caches that way but I would like to KNOW in advance that they ARE rest cache areas. I don't stop at all the caches along my route when on a long trip and, if I knew in advance which ones were at rest areas it would make planning where to stop much more convenient - not to mention that it would make my wife happy. ;)

[i don't see that as saying that searching for a geocache is against the law. Clearly, it is saying that any geocachers placed are done so against permission. That being said, if while making my legal rest stop, I wander over to the picnic tables and log a micro, I didn't break a law.

Wouldn't "geocaching activity" include searching for a geocache? I don't think the WDOT is as concerned about the hidden cache as they are about someone's kid getting run over by Too Tall John's aforementioned semi truck while searching.

Once again, I don't agree with their decision. I think they believe that they would have dozons or hundreds of people flooding every wayside in the state every day wandering around aimlessly searching for caches.

Perhaps someone more politically active than myself would like to take on the cause of educating the WDOT?

Yes! Mandatory! We could have something like a draft board at Groundspeak. From your home zip code you could be drafted to place and maintain a cache at a needy rest stop near your home.

(OK, I'm kidding, as I'm sure the OP was.) most of the rest stop caches I've found were great! My first two caches in WV were in the woods in the same large rest area, about .2 miles apart.

The only ones I didn't like were when people had wayypointed the historic information signs between the men's and women's bathrooms at some rest stops, and listed them as virtual caches. How lame is that?

Especially since in those days I traveled with only the coordinates in my eXplorist 200 and had no way to know there was not really a cache there to find. bummer.

Too much liability for the state for 'em to say "Sure! Take your family and run 'em all over the parking lot. I'm sure the semi drivers won't hit you... too hard...." :P

Just to clarify.........

John means no slight, I am sure, toward the men and women who work each day bringing you the food, clothing, cars, electronics, and all the other goodies you use each day in your lives. This remark is believed to be totally tongue in cheek as a slight toward all the unknowing bureaucrats who work to make the lives of those men and women difficult and raise the costs to you, the consumer, for all you use.

In fact, the statistics show that over 70% of fatality car/truck accidents are caused by the smaller vehicle. It is only the size and weight of the trucks that make these accidents more severe, a law of physics we cannot overcome. But, truth be told, you are more likely to be killed or maimed by a soccer mom or dad using a cell while behind the wheel than a professional driver, and the greatest odds of this are in your own neighborhood.

Please, if you must talk on the phone while in motion, use a hands-free device. If you must perform any task that takes your attention from the road, pull off into a safe area. Please give trucks lots of space, they neither speed up or stop as quickly as a small vehicle, and have large blind spots where you car can be completely out of sight beside, in front, and behind them. And of course, always wear your seat belts.

Too much liability for the state for 'em to say "Sure! Take your family and run 'em all over the parking lot. I'm sure the semi drivers won't hit you... too hard...." :)

Just to clarify.........

John means no slight, I am sure, toward the men and women who work each day bringing you the food, clothing, cars, electronics, and all the other goodies you use each day in your lives. This remark is believed to be totally tongue in cheek as a slight toward all the unknowing bureaucrats who work to make the lives of those men and women difficult and raise the costs to you, the consumer, for all you use.

Actually, it was meant as a slight towards all those numbskulls the truckers have to look out for every day... :P

Some geocacher pops out of the bushes yellin' "Look Bob! It was here after all!" isn't gonna give a truck weighing... how many tons?... much time to stop. People need to be respectful to bigger vehicles and not mess around around 'em. I don't drive a semi, but I do drive a mini-bus on a regular basis, and people are insane in how they drive around it, I can't even imagine what'd happen if I was driving a larger vehicle. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the men & women who drive professionally.

:P In my opinion Caches in rest areas are an excellent idea.

I think Trucker Lee needs to stick to the topic and not his agenda, even though I agree with him.

I feel that if your out hunting a cache in an area that you don't feel good about then don't cache in that area, for example don't cache in an area that your not familiar with at night and if your concerned with "pickle hunters or sausage hunters" then move on and don't cache there.

It's true some caches can be found at night, and that may be an excellent time to hunt a cache since most truck are parked at night and sleeping.

But my point is cache during daylight hours if possible and have an understanding of the area and your surroundings.

I like the idea of caches at rest areas. It provides a break from driving or sitting while being driven. As for how or where the cache is hidden, consider the reason(s) for caching. While on the road, the game is not so much the thrill of the hunt or the notion of going somewhere you would not otherwise visit, but rather the fun of knowing that there is a cache at a given rest area that the muggles don't know about. The cache need only be hidden well enough not to be muggled. A guard rail cache is just about perfect at a rest area.

As for placing caches at rest areas, the rules for posting a cache should be relaxed so that the owner does not need to live nearby. If a rest area cache is placed by someone who visits the rest area while on a long drive, then other visitors to the area should assume responsibility for maintaining it.

....... A guard rail cache is just about perfect at a rest area.

As for placing caches at rest areas, the rules for posting a cache should be relaxed so that the owner does not need to live nearby. If a rest area cache is placed by someone who visits the rest area while on a long drive, then other visitors to the area should assume responsibility for maintaining it.

I disagree!!

Guard Rails are quite often near roadways and not a place to be playing when truck, cars, motor homes and such are driving by constantly. Somewhere away from traffic is better.

Also relaxing the rules for rest area caches isn't a good idea either. Why should I have assume responsibility when some one from a hundred miles away places a lousy container and the log sheet is wet?

YOU PLACE IT YOU MAINTAIN IT!

I was not happy when a guy that lives 120-150 miles from me placed a second cache in a rest stop less than a mile from me. I figured it would be junk and wet very soon.

I was impressed when after 10 months it went missing and in just a couple of weeks he drove that many miles and replaced it.

But he has dissapointed me since. The new container was cracked in just less than 5 months and despite 27 logs indicating cracked container, wet, moldy conditions and 3 "needs maintenance" logs he still hasn't replaced it despite the fact that he has checked in to the site just yesterday!! :blink:

This is why the rules shouldn't be relaxed!!

20 1/2 months and 117 finders and 3 needs maintenance notes since it was first reported cracked and not one finder or the owner has replaced it.

I have not looked for it because I don't think it is worth finding or maintaining myself.