High Terrain Rating Caches

linuxxpert

Hello,

I am getting a little bored of containers in Parks, I have done quite a few caches which had a high terrain rating that involved climbing and going into abandoned tunnels, etc. I really enjoy those caches the most! ;) I own one myself: Stony Ridge

Anyways my question is do you know of any caches that will get your adrenaline pumping because they are challenging and scary? I live in the Allentown area and I am looking for caches within the 40 - 50 Mile range. I am not looking for caches that have crazy puzzles or where you have to hike miles and miles (a few miles is OK) and can be completed within a day.

PS: I do not own a boat or climbing equipment... Yea I know now I am asking for alot! ;)

Edited by linuxxpert

Hello,

I am getting a little bored of containers in Parks, I have done quite a few caches which had a high terrain rating that involved climbing and going into abandoned tunnels, etc. I really enjoy those caches the most! ;) I own one myself: Stony Ridge

Anyways my question is do you know of any caches that will get your adrenaline pumping because they are challenging and scary? I live in the Allentown area and I am looking for caches within the 40 - 50 Mile range. I am not looking for caches that have crazy puzzles or where you have to hike miles and miles (a few miles is OK) and can be completed within a day.

PS: I do not own a boat or climbing equipment... Yea I know now I am asking for alot! ;)

Set up a pocket query to return caches within 50 miles and of the desired difficulty.

I don't live in Northeast PA, but my inlaws have a 2nd home there we go to a few weekends/year. I also haven't done any 4 or 5 star terrain caches, but having looked over caches in the area, I would say look at the "hide" section of the profiles of these two and you'll find some caches:

DMBForMe

FrenchFrynFrosty

Also, you may want to email Miss Keeto or Ript2Shreds, who have done some tougher terrain caches in the area. Good luck!

Hello,

Set up a pocket query to return caches within 50 miles and of the desired difficulty.

EDIT oops maybe nobody saw this... looking at PQs now ;), I still would like to hear about peoples personal experiences!

Edited by linuxxpert

Having done a few 5/5s in NEPA , NJ and NY, I'd say you're out of luck.

Was just talking to a young fella a few weeks ago about the lack of caches of the type you're looking for on THIS side of the State.

Yours is one of the VERY few (we did it) in your area, NOT, "a small-cache-in-a-park."

The other cachers' mentioned by another are NOT in the "mileage" area you're looking for . They're 40 miles from US and we're closer.

Also, we've found that most in the upper part of NEPA "may" be rated 5, but are actually 3.5 tops - climbing a tree 12', dropping into a small pit, etc. (except for water hides)

Without climbing gear or a boat, I'm afraid you're sunk. Maybe Santa can help you out . ;)

Had a 5 that was slated for this week, but the snow beat me to it. Watch out this spring...

Get a kayak AND climbing gear. ;)

Wow you guys are a lot of help--Thank you, I will check all of those out! Now how about Cave and Tunnel caches? Any good ones around? I did "Spooky Tunnel Cache", "Manunka Chunk Tunnels" and "Dark Rock cache" and some other little ones that were not interesting enough to remember.

BTW, anyone do "GC12YMW", now that one is crazy! No way its legal! but the fence fell over and I did not see any trespassing signs <_<

Saw that there seems to be a few in Pittsburgh/reading area and Lebanon-Harrisburg.

They MAY fit into the mileage you're looking for, depending on which end of "Allentown area" you're in.

Cache safe.

Pittsburgh is within the mileage from Allentown? I would think (using my state) that that's like going from here to Buffalo......or put another way, I'm a lot closer to Allentown than Pittsburgh is.

You might want to consider High & Low in southwestern Lancaster county. It's a bit outside your 50 mile range I think, and it does involve a puzzle but for someone called "linuxexpert" that shouldn't pose to much of a challenge. I guarantee it will take the edge off your craving for adventure though. :blink:

I've had your Stony Ridge on my watchlist for a while, next time I'm in the area I want to give it a shot. Unfortunately I don't know when that will be, but it's on my list. ;)

I'm a few miles from you in Norristown. Well more than a few but a short drive. Just finshed a few in French Creek State Park. Want a leg burner try the Ed Scott caches in that park. If you want to feel the burn knock out one or two and then finish up with the "Rock and Hills Multi" My legs are still stinging.

If you do it by yourself or with only a couple partners (as opposed to the 40 person entourage that "found" it during the Caching Through The Snow #2 Event), my Evil Little Man Deep In The Woods is a good challenge and often requires gear.

It is a challenging placement in a bear infested area.

My "special equipment" for that one was my boyfriend :D:D

Here's a couple caches in North Jersey that require some rock scrambling - probably within your 50-mile radius:

Maneater

Goliath

Edited by trowel32

You want a terrain day , do the Terrace Pond caches. The owners have all rated them low (vast right wing conspriracy among them). The rating is 3.5 to 4 across the board, especially if you go Pipeline to Blue and over. Do it in January and cross the swales on the pipeline, makes for an interesting experience. IMSpide and I both had similar experiences there at different times. Mine what on a day when it was between 10 and 15 degrees, I got to the ice and thought , ok this can only be about 2 inches deep, when I went through the ice I found that the water was a couple of feet deep. In talking to him one day he said the same thing happened to him . Have fun out there. :)

I have also found that you can up the terrain rating of just about any cache by doing it on a mountain bike. In the area of thinking it is easier to ride than to walk I find that many times the opposite is true as you careen down a rocky path, thinking Oh---this could hurt. :) Wear your helmet. Ringwood Manor Caches are good for this.

A couple of guys did Ay Caramba on bikes (TRL and Straatmaker) ask them about it.

Edited by Packanack