Finds Detail View

ReadyOrNot

Giving everyone a choice of how they want their stats displayed takes absolutely nothing from anyone, hurts no one at all and would please those who want to have their stats shown to be their true count...everyone wins.
The problem is, if people get to choose any old way to have their totals posted on the cache page, it will be more difficult for these numbers to be used. It is better to have them all be simple and standardized.
If you continue to say that those who log "bonus" event temps are being hurt because they might be ridiculed, hey, you don't have to have that number show (if you're ashamed or scared how you'll be viewed). ...
Thank you for proving my point so well.

Who said anything about using the stats against anyone else? I would like MY stats to display MY way...if you'd rather not have them show my way, you can leave them as they are, you can add the other ideas shown...it's a CHOICE and if some don't want change, they don't have to.

I see Mushtang...so you are opposed to people having a choice in how their stats are shown. Why?

In post number 93 I did. But to keep you from having to scroll up to read it I'll re-state it:

I have a problem with people being able to put anything they want in the find count area, such as (FTF King) or (Poop), or (27,242 Found). The find count is supposed to reflect how many caches you've logged as Found or Attended, not how much you enjoy FTFs, how old you are, or a find count that's not based on how many you've logged. That's the kind of information that the profile is for.

Giving everyone a choice of how they want their stats displayed takes absolutely nothing from anyone, hurts no one at all and would please those who want to have their stats shown to be their true count...everyone wins.
The problem is, if people get to choose any old way to have their totals posted on the cache page, it will be more difficult for these numbers to be used. It is better to have them all be simple and standardized.
If you continue to say that those who log "bonus" event temps are being hurt because they might be ridiculed, hey, you don't have to have that number show (if you're ashamed or scared how you'll be viewed). ...

yes, you can parse (surprise)...read it again...in whole please. I said you'd have a CHOICE how your stats are displayed. Are you also against personal choice and freedom to have your stats how you please? Why?

I kind of am. As I explained in the post you quoted, "if people get to choose any old way to have their totals posted on the cache page, it will be more difficult for these numbers to be used." In order for this data to be usable, it should be standardized. Luckily, the current method gives standardized, usable data.

I know that it's convenient to take the position that everything should be based on personal choice and 'freedom', but that's simply not true. Sometimes, standardization is the way to go. Also, you will note that the founders didn't grant you the freedom to have your geocaching data shown in the way that you demand. Forgive me, but it bugs me when people drop the 'freedom' word too 'freely'.

*snip* - Just to shorten things...

Since the change being asked for would be voluntary, everyone wins.

Man, I go grab a couple zzz for the night and things fall apart <_<

The current system does have the advantage that all numbers are shown the same (sure, they may not be "equal"). With that being said, I like the most recent proposal about choosing what you want your stats to say and how they say it. If there ever is a new way to display stats...seeing all the ideas/comments here...it may be best if it was standard for all. I haven't changed my mind...just thinking out load.

Like I said before...if the site changes how stats are displayed, I will change with it.

Now, my attempt to make some people smile this fine Wednesday morning...

I just want to go back to my jedi training!!! <_<

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I think we all need to sit back, take a deep breath and go back to a discussion instead of an argument...no one gets anywhere but to a closed thread when that happens.

yes, you can parse (surprise)...read it again...in whole please. I said you'd have a CHOICE how your stats are displayed. Are you also against personal choice and freedom to have your stats how you please? Why?

I kind of am. As I explained in the post you quoted, "if people get to choose any old way to have their totals posted on the cache page, it will be more difficult for these numbers to be used." In order for this data to be usable, it should be standardized. Luckily, the current method gives standardized, usable data.

I know that it's convenient to take the position that everything should be based on personal choice and 'freedom', but that's simply not true. Sometimes, standardization is the way to go. Also, you will note that the founders didn't grant you the freedom to have your geocaching data shown in the way that you demand. Forgive me, but it bugs me when people drop the 'freedom' word too 'freely'.

Useable for WHAT? You have RAILED how the stats are for personal viewing and not to be used as a way to compare. Now you've changed that to the stats must be useable? Good!

Standardized for WHAT? If the stats should be standardized, don't you think the WAY the stats are counted should be standardized as well? Maybe a definition of a find would help!

Giving everyone a choice of how they want their stats displayed takes absolutely nothing from anyone, hurts no one at all and would please those who want to have their stats shown to be their true count...everyone wins. If you continue to say that those who log "bonus" event temps are being hurt because they might be ridiculed, hey, you don't have to have that number show (if you're ashamed or scared how you'll be viewed). If you want to compete among groups near and far, you can have your stats show this as well.

We have that option already, Roddy.

You can do it RIGHT NOW! You are free to write up a grid with very detailed "correct" stats about your various types of finds. You are free to post it in your profile, and to cut-and-paste it into every piece of text you post to a cache page. You can even put into your sig line right here in the forums so we can all be impressed every time you post.

... and I am free to keep logging my finds the same as I do now.

As you say: everyone wins.

Go ahead! You start. Make out your very thorough numbers report, run it up the flagpole and fly it proudly. I'll do my part by doing nothing, because I'm happy with the way things are.

Edited by KBI

As I said before, the change would be voluntary. I wouldn't want to have comments where the stats are, that's for the profile. I do want to have the freedom to view my stats as I want them. Everyone rails for freedopm for those who want to log as they please, but no freedom for those who want to see their stats as they see fair? Talk about a double standard.

Giving everyone a choice of how they want their stats displayed takes absolutely nothing from anyone, hurts no one at all and would please those who want to have their stats shown to be their true count...everyone wins. If you continue to say that those who log "bonus" event temps are being hurt because they might be ridiculed, hey, you don't have to have that number show (if you're ashamed or scared how you'll be viewed). If you want to compete among groups near and far, you can have your stats show this as well.

You are free to write up a grid with very detailed "correct" stats about your various types of finds, post it in your profile, and cut-and-paste it into every piece of text you post to a cache page. You can even put into your sig line right here in the forums so we can all be impressed every time you post.

Go ahead! You start. Make out your very thorough numbers report, run it up the flagpole and fly it proudly. I'll do my part by doing nothing, because I'm happy with the way things are.

ummmm...back to the same old are we? OK...play the games you love to play.

Isn't it funny how you rail against taking away freedoms, but then rail against freedoms. Double standard at it's best!

Useable for WHAT? You have RAILED how the stats are for personal viewing and not to be used as a way to compare. Now you've changed that to the stats must be useable? Good!
I have no idea what you are referring to. My stance on this issue has been pretty solid.

As I stated, many people find these find totals to be useful for a number of purposes. Never have I taken a different position.

Standardized for WHAT?
For whatever the end user chooses to use them for.
If the stats should be standardized, don't you think the WAY the stats are counted should be standardized as well?
They currently are enumerated the same for every cacher. They are standardized.
Maybe a definition of a find would help!
That has been left to the cache owners to determine, as it should be. Edited by sbell111
As I said before, the change would be voluntary. I wouldn't want to have comments where the stats are, that's for the profile. I do want to have the freedom to view my stats as I want them. Everyone rails for freedopm for those who want to log as they please, but no freedom for those who want to see their stats as they see fair? Talk about a double standard.

I'm sure that if you asked nicely, someone would spin up a greasmonkey script that allowed you to see your stats however you want.

You are free to write up a grid with very detailed "correct" stats about your various types of finds, post it in your profile, and cut-and-paste it into every piece of text you post to a cache page. You can even put into your sig line right here in the forums so we can all be impressed every time you post.

ummmm...back to the same old are we? OK...play the games you love to play.

Isn't it funny how you rail against taking away freedoms, but then rail against freedoms. Double standard at it's best!

I didn't "rail against freedoms." I highlighted a freedom you already have.

You proposed a change to the website. I showed why that change is not needed. Your response says nothing about the solution I provided for you. If my solution is unacceptable to you, I would like to know why.

Ignoring my solution by making irrelevant noise is not helping your cause.

Good grief. No one is trying to take away your freedoms. You are not being repressed, Dennis.

Really? You are railing against a simple change in which everyone would have freedom over how their stats are viewed. You railed repeatedly how we were "repressing" those who like to log "bonus" (change a letter to get my feel of these) caches, just by asking for a change...what are you doing here? BTW...name's Rod. (in case you didn't know).

KBI you haven't given a solution, just another comment. When you have a solution, I'd be happy to see it!

Good grief. No one is trying to take away your freedoms. You are not being repressed, Dennis.

Really? You are railing against a simple change in which everyone would have freedom over how their stats are viewed. You railed repeatedly how we were "repressing" those who like to log "bonus" (change a letter to get my feel of these) caches, just by asking for a change...what are you doing here? BTW...name's Rod. (in case you didn't know).

KBI you haven't given a solution, just another comment. When you have a solution, I'd be happy to see it!

Changing how your stats are viewed by others will not affect the issue that you are railing against.

Once again, if you want to change how you view stats, perhaps Firefox is your friend.

You proposed a change to the website. I showed why that change is not needed. Your response says nothing about the solution I provided for you. If my solution is unacceptable to you, I would like to know why.

Yes, I did offer a solution.

Your (unnecessary) proposal:

In other words, you want Groundspeak to modify the entire website format to allow folks to display their find count with any sub-counts, breakdowns, asterisks, explanations or other details they might feel are needed to make the counts more “correct.”

You want everyone to have the option whether or not to take advantage of this feature.

My solution:

You can do it RIGHT NOW! You are free to write up a grid with very detailed "correct" stats about your various types of finds. You are free to post it in your profile, and to cut-and-paste it into every piece of text you post to a cache page. You can even put into your sig line right here in the forums so we can all be impressed every time you post.

In other words:

You have the power RIGHT NOW to do what you want, and I have the power RIGHT NOW to leave my number the way I like it.

Your requested functionality already exists; therefore, there is no reason for Groundspeak to enact your proposal.

Again I say:

In other words: How does my solution not accomplish the EXACT SAME EFFECT as your proposal?

Great...everyone else has the freedom (I'll throw that about "freely" as I see fit) to log as they please and such, but we can't be given a freedom (man how I like that word) to view our stats as we please. The key here is MANUAL compared to automatic.

eta: I'm done here, it's time to go out and do something constructive...I'm sure you'll continue to rail against personal freedoms being proposed, so have fun!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I offered three alternatives. Unfortunately, none of them vilified other cachers, so they were mostly ignored.

Here's my first suggestion. It served to correct the cahce page total by identifying not only caches that the individual has found, but identify how many they had find at the time that this cache was found. It gave more instight as to their experience level at the specific point in time that they looked for the cache.

I have, what I believe, is a better idea that more cachers will likely embrace (mostly because it's not an original idea and I know other people liked it).

Right now, the find count that shows next to our logs is semi-static. It updates each time the cache page is updated, such as when an additional log is made. What I would like to see happen is for another total to also be given that is completely static. It would not update when the cache page is updated.

This would result in the log showing the find number that the cache was, as well as your current find count.

If I found my 100th cache, my log would look like this:

:DNovember 11 by sbell111 (100/100 found)

As I find more caches and that 100th cache page updates, it would look like this:

:DNovember 11 by sbell111 (100/150 found)

Here's my second suggestion. It made it possible to know how many cache logs the person actually logged by identifying the number of events that the person attended. The theory here is that the skill set to arrive at an event is different from the skill set used to find a geocache.
Wouldn't it be nice if the find count told how many UNIQUE finds and attends were made? THAT should be what the find count is for...but it isn't is it? ...
Actually, it does.

When AD goes to an event, he enters one log for the event and 9.8 logs for each unique cache that he finds at the event. From his perspective, there is no difference between the temporary cache that he finds under a pile of sticks and any 'permanent' cache that he finds under a pile of sticks. Both caches take exactly the same skill set to find and log.

If I were to see his find count, I would have a reasonable idea of his caching experience. In fact, my estimation of his experience would not be skewed by the temporary caches that he has found. It would be skewed by the events that he actually attended, since the temps required that he found a cache while the actual events did not.

If anything, the OP's request has it backwards. Showing the total find count with the number of discrete events attended would give the best estimation of experience (all caches being equal ;)). The OP's suggestion, however, merely muddies the waters and gives some cachers targets to scorn.

Here's my third suggestion. The theory here is that through the use of greasmonkey scripts, a cacher may be able to customize the cache pages so that he is able to get the data that he prefers, without affecting the needs and desires of other cachers.
SBELL...I'm railing against NOTHING (please, do read my posts). I'm simply ASKING for a new way to view MY stats. MY choice would have NO affect on your viewing of YOUR stats.
To which, I explained that with Firefox, you may be able to have your wish.

Great...everyone else has the freedom (I'll throw that about "freely" as I see fit) to log as they please and such, but we can't be given a freedom (man how I like that word) to view our stats as we please. The key here is MANUAL compared to automatic.

Sadly, you are misusing it.

No one has suggested any change that would affect your personal freedoms. Well, you, RoN, and TrailBlazers kind of have, but no one that has disagreed with you has.

Edited by sbell111

Ah, the truth!

So then, your proposal isn’t about functionality at all. As we now agree, you possess that functionality already via my and Sbell's suggestions. Your proposal is merely about your personal convenience. I see it now.

It doesn’t seem to bother you that the convenience you’ll get from your proposed automation will be at the cost of: programming time ($) for the website, inconvenience and annoyance among tens of thousands of cachers, and confusion among thousands of newbies (who typically botch the transfer of something as easy as a Travel Bug, yet who are expected to digest and handle your newly created complexity with ease). Have I got that right?

You simply want to save yourself the few minutes effort that would be required of you if you were to take advantage of my suggestion.

Your “selfless” suggestion sounds pretty selfish to me.

A great Seinfeld episode gave us this perfect line…and I think it fits here…

Serenity Now!!!

Please excuse me while I go smash a couple computers now...

Seinfeld is one of my favorites! ;) I think you'll find out when the brothers show up that is impossible. So you and I can still discuss this. I think it would be nice to show how many events someone has actually been to. It says something about how active they are. Anyhow, AD don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious...When you go to events why not just say that you found 10 temp caches; did the poker run and came third in the chili cookoff in your one attended log? I think it would be a chore to log xx temp caches in separate logs. The fun is in finding them. To be honest, I would never log caches, but I do it because I want to thank the owner; document my adventure and get the cache out of future PQs. So when I go to an event I do all that in my attended log. Anyhow, that's my take. :D
... I think it would be nice to show how many events someone has actually been to. It says something about how active they are. ...
It sounds like you could get behind this idea:
... Showing the total find count with the number of discrete events attended would give the best estimation of experience (all caches being equal ;)). ...
... I think it would be nice to show how many events someone has actually been to. It says something about how active they are. ...
... Showing the total find count with the number of discrete events attended would give the best estimation of experience (all caches being equal ;) ). ...
Actually there is a better solution (given the cards that we are dealt):

1) Don't log the event more than once. This leaves the event page with nothing but attended logs with photos and memories of the event for everyone to enjoy later. It also only sends out emails for attended logs. So people can watch the event without getting spammed.

2) Log all the temps on a traditional cache setup for the event instead. Temps are closer to traditionals so that way they get stuck in the right bucket and the event stats remain correct.

By doing this the stats will show how many events the person actually attended and Groundspeak will not have to write any code to accomplish that. I still will only do #1 myself, but those that do #2 will have less impact on everyone else than what they are doing now. :D

Edited by TrailGators

Serenity Now!!!

Seinfeld is one of my favorites! ;) I think you'll find out when the brothers show up that is impossible. So you and I can still discuss this. I think it would be nice to show how many events someone has actually been to. It says something about how active they are. Anyhow, AD don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious...When you go to events why not just say that you found 10 temp caches; did the poker run and came third in the chili cookoff in your one attended log? I think it would be a chore to log xx temp caches in separate logs. The fun is in finding them. To be honest, I would never log caches, but I do it because I want to thank the owner; document my adventure and get the cache out of future PQs. So when I go to an event I do all that in my attended log. Anyhow, that's my take. :D

Hey,

No offense taken...you would among the first to actually ask why I do what I do...

This may sound weird...but I agree with you about why I log caches...(weird, I know :D ). I log caches for the same reason; to thank the owner. I may have a math ed degree, but I enjoy writing my logs...they may not always make sense at times, but I still enjoy writing them. I started out with the "typical" TFTC and TNLNSL and all the other acronyms out there that newbie's learn...I then decided one day that I was only cheating myslef of my journey...it has been a while now since using only those in a log. I may use them once and while...but those log always have more writing to them.

As far as why I started to log temps in events as "Found It" or "Attended"...one of the first events I went to was put on by a group of cachers (each hid about a dozen or so of the 100 temps). It was explained to me to use the "Attended" feature for events and "Found It" feature for CITO (except for attending the CITO...hope that make sense). So, I did just that...(so, I woudl agree that the "practice" of logging temps is very regional...)

Why do I keep doing it??? I like knowing what I have found and done at events. I don't cache for the smile...I cache for the experience I have had...and I use my numbers to see what I have done.

This next statement may sound like a number thing...but just read through it:

I use the "Attended/Found It" option becuase the site does not keep track of notes. It is a whole lot easier for me to go through my Event/CITO logs and count the events and subtract that number from my "Finds/Hides" profile tab then it would be for me keep track of it off site.

I know there are cachers that would view that as abuse of site features and there are those that don't...currently TPTB don't have anything that states this is abuse...so I will use it until it is decided to be so. But, I am pretty flexible...if that ever changes, I would change with it and do what would be required/recommended. So, I hope that answers a bit about what I was trying to answer...(yeah, I know, that sentence may not make sense). I could go on about it, but I hope this much helps.

As far as Sbell111, KBI, Rockin Roddy...I see all your points...

I think 4wheelin_fool did a good job of combining ideas...all great ideas...

Will TPTB ever try them...only time will tell, but can we just discuss the ideas and not try to find a "motive" for the ideas. If you want my motive...I would vote for the change that would make the site easier for me to use...sure sounds selfish...but as I said, ask and I would supply someone with a breakdown of my finds...it just takes too much work to update all the time...and frankly, finding caches is more fun for me then updating my stats for others (especially since they are my stats for my use).

...but I also see KBI's point. The current system allows you to do that via your profile page...you can also choose to log caches as found (temp and perm) or log notes for temps and found for perm or just log perms and forget about temps.

We all have our opinions...but I would rather discuss my opinion then defend my opinion.

Edit for Clarity: ...but I would rather discuss my opinion rather then having to defend my opinion...

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Edited by ArcherDragoon
... Showing the total find count with the number of discrete events attended would give the best estimation of experience (all caches being equal ;)). ...

Hey,

I can only speak for myself...but as a "temp logger" (I am really starting to like saying that :D ). I would not mind that option...it would save me time in breaking down my stats. But, I think it also respects those with multiple logs on other caches like traveling and what not.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

... Showing the total find count with the number of discrete events attended would give the best estimation of experience (all caches being equal ;) ). ...

1) Don't log the event more than once. This leaves the event page with nothing but attended logs with photos and memories of the event for everyone to enjoy later. It also only sends out emails for attended logs. So people can watch the event without getting spammed.

2) Log all the temps on a traditional cache setup for the event instead. Temps are closer to traditionals so that way they get stuck in the right bucket and the event stats remain correct.

By doing this the stats will show how many events the person actually attended and Groundspeak will not have to write any code to accomplish that. I still will only do #1 myself, but those that do #2 will have less impact on everyone else than what they are doing now. :D

Of course, we've already been through the threads that dealt with these ideas. People will continue to log temporary event caches to the event pages because that is the acceptable way to handle those cache finds. Your '#2' would not be possible in all situations, so is not a feasible alternative. (Plus, I'm pretty sure that people would soon complain about those logs, also.)

Edited by sbell111

By doing this the stats will show how many events the person actually attended and Groundspeak will not have to write any code to accomplish that. I still will only do #1 myself, but those that do #2 will have less impact on everyone else than what they are doing now. ;)

Less impact on everyone else than what is being done now? Nobody has shown that there is any impact!

How does it "impact everyone else" when a person logs a temp cache on an event page?

How can you justify the repeated use of a bogus claim to support proposals when you refuse to defend the claim?

Less impact on everyone else than what is being done now? Nobody has shown that there is any impact!

How does it "impact everyone else" when a person logs a temp cache on an event page?

How can you justify the repeated use of a bogus claim to support proposals when you refuse to defend the claim?

Would you stifle and read #1. ;) So doing #2 would get rid of the two of the cons of temp logs. We already know that you don't think that they are cons but many do. Edited by TrailGators

Would you stifle ...

I will not.

(Would you stop posting if I asked you to "stifle" in the same manner? Didn't think so.)

As long as you keep suggesting how others (like me) should change their benign behavior just to suit you, I will exercise my right to question those suggestions.

As long as you keep supporting those suggestions with bogus-sounding claims, I will exercise my right to challenge those claims.

and read #1. ;) So doing #2 would get rid of the two of the cons of temp logs. We already know that you don't think that they are cons but many do.

'Two' of the cons? You mean the ones you mentioned before? The ones you stopped discussing after I challenged them?

Are you referring to {1} the hardship of scrolling through cache logs and {2} the hardship of voluntarily receiving watchlist emails? Those things are not "impacts," TG. Those are both cases of willingly choosing an optional activity and then whining about it.

You say "doing #2 would get rid of 'two of the cons' of temp logs." Did you mean to imply there are more abusive "impacts" other than those two? If so, what are they?

I am fascinated with this idea that temp cache multilogging actually "abuses" other cachers. The explanations that have been given thus far are so weak as to be comical.

Someday I’ll learn the real reason why so many of you feel "abused" by these cache logs.

Serenity Now!!!

Hey,

No offense taken...you would among the first to actually ask why I do what I do...

This may sound weird...but I agree with you about why I log caches...(weird, I know :D ). I log caches for the same reason; to thank the owner. I may have a math ed degree, but I enjoy writing my logs...they may not always make sense at times, but I still enjoy writing them. I started out with the "typical" TFTC and TNLNSL and all the other acronyms out there that newbie's learn...I then decided one day that I was only cheating myslef of my journey...it has been a while now since using only those in a log. I may use them once and while...but those log always have more writing to them.

As far as why I started to log temps in events as "Found It" or "Attended"...one of the first events I went to was put on by a group of cachers (each hid about a dozen or so of the 100 temps). It was explained to me to use the "Attended" feature for events and "Found It" feature for CITO (except for attending the CITO...hope that make sense). So, I did just that...(so, I woudl agree that the "practice" of logging temps is very regional...)

Why do I keep doing it??? I like knowing what I have found and done at events. I don't cache for the smile...I cache for the experience I have had...and I use my numbers to see what I have done.

I use the "Attended/Found It" option becuase the site does not keep track of notes. It is a whole lot easier for me to go through my Event/CITO logs and count the events and subtract that number from my "Finds/Hides" profile tab then it would be for me keep track of it off site.

I know there are cachers that would view that as abuse of site features and there are those that don't...currently TPTB don't have anything that states this is abuse...so I will use it until it is decided to be so. But, I am pretty flexible...if that ever changes, I would change with it and do what would be required/recommended. So, I hope that answers a bit about what I was trying to answer...(yeah, I know, that sentence may not make sense). I could go on about it, but I hope this much helps.

Will TPTB ever try them...only time will tell, but can we just discuss the ideas and not try to find a "motive" for the ideas. If you want my motive...I would vote for the change that would make the site easier for me to use...sure sounds selfish...but as I said, ask and I would supply someone with a breakdown of my finds...it just takes too much work to update all the time...and frankly, finding caches is more fun for me then updating my stats for others (especially since they are my stats for my use).

...but I also see KBI's point. The current system allows you to do that via your profile page...you can also choose to log caches as found (temp and perm) or log notes for temps and found for perm or just log perms and forget about temps.

We all have our opinions...but I would rather discuss my opinion then defend my opinion.

Edit for Clarity: ...but I would rather discuss my opinion rather then having to defend my opinion...

Later,

ArcherDragoon

At least you are decent enough to discuss things without all the drama and exaggeration! What did you think of the idea logging a cache instead of the event? It would accomplish the same thing for you....

Serenity Now!!!

Hey,

Later,

ArcherDragoon

That's also good point about the notes. It would be nice if they did let you track them.

At least you are decent enough to discuss things without all the drama and exaggeration! What did you think of the idea logging a cache instead of the event? It would accomplish the same thing for you....

I prefer discussion more than argument...things always get heated in arguments. It is easier to discuss an opinion then defend a belief.

Regarding your question...I will have to think about that a bit...but good question. On the other hand...it does keep my "temp count" out of my "regular count". I will take some time and think about the question you pose...

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I have, what I believe, is a better idea that more cachers will likely embrace (mostly because it's not an original idea and I know other people liked it).

Right now, the find count that shows next to our logs is semi-static. It updates each time the cache page is updated, such as when an additional log is made. What I would like to see happen is for another total to also be given that is completely static. It would not update when the cache page is updated.

This would result in the log showing the find number that the cache was, as well as your current find count.

If I found my 100th cache, my log would look like this:

;)November 11 by sbell111 (100/100 found)

As I find more caches and that 100th cache page updates, it would look like this:

:DNovember 11 by sbell111 (100/150 found)

I put my find number in my online log. No need for GC.com to try to calculate it. So next to my handle is my current count and in my log is the count of this find. Simple.

Ah, the truth!

So then, your proposal isn’t about functionality at all. As we now agree, you possess that functionality already via my and Sbell's suggestions. Your proposal is merely about your personal convenience. I see it now.

It doesn’t seem to bother you that the convenience you’ll get from your proposed automation will be at the cost of: programming time ($) for the website, inconvenience and annoyance among tens of thousands of cachers, and confusion among thousands of newbies (who typically botch the transfer of something as easy as a Travel Bug, yet who are expected to digest and handle your newly created complexity with ease). Have I got that right?

You simply want to save yourself the few minutes effort that would be required of you if you were to take advantage of my suggestion.

WHO'S being selfish here? You want to whine about such a "BENIGN" change (which would also be completely VOLUNTARY) because YOU don't like it? And the idea is selfish? Wow. All that's being asked is for a way to AUTOMATICALLY calculate the unique finds for those who WISH to.

Since I'll assume you know nothing about how the programming would work, I'll dismiss you're objection because of programming time (really, what do you care if an UPGRADE is made which takes NOTHING from you? People are asking for upgrades all the time, do you sit around and boo-hoo over those too?). Obviously YOU'RE confused since I can't even IMAGINE how any cacher could get inconvenienced (or any newbie being confused...sure, it's tough to pick a few choices from a DROP-DOWN....OUCH!)

The only complexity is in your head (or even just made up to make the idea sound impossible). I simply want a choice which would be handled with the same automation as we see now....ohhh the inhumanity!!!

I'll await your snippy remarks...you certainly have a way of acting indignant though!!

oh, did I add that the choice could also be changeable at any time...that way the "confused newbs" would be able to make a change if their "choice" was not as they wanted....soooo confusing.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hey,

I should make that clearer...

I don't want to propose a change to the site that would track "notes"...I meant it as a way to track notes on/related to certain caches (specifically events/citos). There was a thread earlier that talked about having a checklist for temps found at an event (it may have been ReadyOrNot...but I am not sure), but I thought that was a great idea...that is the type of "note" thing I was talking about (specifically setup for events/citos when additional waypoints or when the cache owner sets up something that lets the system know when temps are present). I am sure someone will be able to find that thread and post what I am talking about...but that is what I was refering to (not the current "Post a Note" system in place...I think that is fine as is).

If that ever happened and I only "earned" one smile/attend for events...that would be fine with me (with an addtional "meaningless" stat for temps...just to show what I have found for my use). Of course, others would use it, but that would not bother me :anibad: I currently use the system the way I do so I can get a relatively quick answer to how many temporary caches and how many permanent caches I have found.

I know this next statment will sound weird from me...so hold on :P

...I really don't like how the way I am logging temps "pumps" my numbers, but it is currently the way that makes the most sense to me for what I want my stats to track for me (besides a manual track...but as I said before, I am a bit lazy :ph34r: ).

So, hopefully, if this was written correctly and will read how I meant it to read...I am fairly open minded to changes and suggestions. These are just my ideas...nothing more.

So, there, I am done for now...have a great Holiday...Happy Thanksgiving

...I am thankful for Geocaching!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Ah, the truth!

WHO'S being selfish here? You want to whine about such a "BENIGN" change (which would also be completely VOLUNTARY) because YOU don't like it? And the idea is selfish? Wow. All that's being asked is for a way to AUTOMATICALLY calculate the unique finds for those who WISH to.

Since I'll assume you know nothing about how the programming would work, I'll dismiss you're objection because of programming time (really, what do you care if an UPGRADE is made which takes NOTHING from you? People are asking for upgrades all the time, do you sit around and boo-hoo over those too?). Obviously YOU'RE confused since I can't even IMAGINE how any cacher could get inconvenienced (or any newbie being confused...sure, it's tough to pick a few choices from a DROP-DOWN....OUCH!)

The only complexity is in your head (or even just made up to make the idea sound impossible). I simply want a choice which would be handled with the same automation as we see now....ohhh the inhumanity!!!

I'll await your snippy remarks...you certainly have a way of acting indignant though!!

oh, did I add that the choice could also be changeable at any time...that way the "confused newbs" would be able to make a change if their "choice" was not as they wanted....soooo confusing.

Calm down. You act as if you've been insulted. I never insulted you. I merely pointed out that the functionality you seek via your proposal already exists, that your proposal is redundant and unnecessary, and that the automation you claim to desire would only serve to put the burden of effort on everyone else when it is clearly you who wants the complicated display.

Look at it this way: It would be like me insisting that Groundspeak automatically add a random knock-knock joke to each of our online Found It logs each time we post a find. Doesn't that sound reasonable? It could be voluntary; I could check a box to activate the feature while those who didn't want knock-knock jokes in their logs could opt out. That functionality already exists, you say? I can add knock-knock jokes to the text of my logs anytime I want, you say? Well, I say I need automation. Who are you to tell me that my proposal is unreasonable or unnecessary?

Now: Go back and read that breathless five-paragraph tirade you just shouted at me, replace "calculate the unique finds" with "add the wholesome entertainment," and tell me that every word of it wouldn't apply as a logical and valid (if cranky) defense of my knock-knock joke proposal.

If you merely wanted to display a few extra details about your caching history for the world to see you would simply do it; you wouldn't suggest putting these demands on the rest of us just to gain yourself a small convenience – nobody is THAT selfish, not even you, Roddy. Your defensiveness and emotional reaction leads me to strongly suspect a different motive – a powerful, yet unspoken, motive. Is there some other reason you're not telling us about, some other reason why you want to foist this redundant annoyance on everyone else? If you're not satisfied with modifying your own logs and profile, could it be your true goal is to modify other people's behavior?

If so, what behavior? What are those other folks doing that bugs you so bad? If it is event temp cache multilogging that offends you, please tell me: why does that offend you? What is it about those little yellow smileys that drives you to want to compel others not to claim them?

Your insisting I'm selfish is reason enough for me to be cranky....you are being rude and I WILL reply rudely when "spoken" to this way! Ratchet down your tone and I'll be more than happy to be civil as well!

You still don't understand? I don't want anything more than MY stats to be customized to show how I feel. Anyone else can have theirs show normally or customize as well. I DON'T want to add silly comments or "knock-knocks, that WOUlD be silly! I'm not asking for anything more than this:

An AUTOMATIC addition of all my UNIQUE finds so they can be displayed. I want MY event attends to not be counted (as I now think I like those seperate)...I only want MY unique finds to show. No extra finds, no attendeds, no GPS adventures...just finds! I'd like a way for those finds to be AUTOMATICALLY added to my log when I make a found log...if others don't want this, they can EASILY opt out with a simple choice on a menu! Just a small box which shows my stats (as I explained) in the log online! We ALREADY get a find count (which changes with each new cache), I would rather MY finds reflect the number the find was for THAT cache (number stays the same unless I later log a find on an earlier day, then the number would change to reflect which number that find was) (sbell idea, I like it and think it could work).

I'm not asking for a change that would "out" anyone who logs differently than I, I'm FAR past that and you'd know this if you'd READ my posts instead of reacting to them (remember, I said I'd drop my asking for truthful numbers if TPTB decided against...they did). No alterior motives for your suspicious mind to lock onto. SIMPLE.

I'm not asking for anything that isn't already available, I just want them available ON MY ONLINE LOGS without me having to add them or even keep track of them, it can be done automatically (if one so chooses...voluntarily...simply)!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hey,

I don't want to propose a change to the site that would track "notes"...I meant it as a way to track notes on/related to certain caches (specifically events/citos). There was a thread earlier that talked about having a checklist for temps found at an event (it may have been ReadyOrNot...but I am not sure), but I thought that was a great idea...that is the type of "note" thing I was talking about (specifically setup for events/citos when additional waypoints or when the cache owner sets up something that lets the system know when temps are present). I am sure someone will be able to find that thread and post what I am talking about...but that is what I was refering to (not the current "Post a Note" system in place...I think that is fine as is).

If that ever happened and I only "earned" one smile/attend for events...that would be fine with me (with an addtional "meaningless" stat for temps...just to show what I have found for my use). Of course, others would use it, but that would not bother me :P I currently use the system the way I do so I can get a relatively quick answer to how many temporary caches and how many permanent caches I have found.

I know this next statment will sound weird from me...so hold on :anibad:

...I really don't like how the way I am logging temps "pumps" my numbers, but it is currently the way that makes the most sense to me for what I want my stats to track for me (besides a manual track...but as I said before, I am a bit lazy :ph34r: ).

So, hopefully, if this was written correctly and will read how I meant it to read...I am fairly open minded to changes and suggestions. These are just my ideas...nothing more.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Thanks for the explanation AD. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Go Packers! :P

Hey,

If that ever happened and I only "earned" one smile/attend for events...that would be fine with me (with an addtional "meaningless" stat for temps...just to show what I have found for my use). Of course, others would use it, but that would not bother me :P I currently use the system the way I do so I can get a relatively quick answer to how many temporary caches and how many permanent caches I have found.

I know this next statment will sound weird from me...so hold on :anibad:

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Thanks for the explanation AD. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Go Packers! :P

GREEN BAY...GO LIONS!!! 3-0 Lions so far!!

Hey,

If that ever happened and I only "earned" one smile/attend for events...that would be fine with me (with an addtional "meaningless" stat for temps...just to show what I have found for my use). Of course, others would use it, but that would not bother me ;) I currently use the system the way I do so I can get a relatively quick answer to how many temporary caches and how many permanent caches I have found.

I know this next statment will sound weird from me...so hold on :laughing:

...I really don't like how the way I am logging temps "pumps" my numbers, but it is currently the way that makes the most sense to me for what I want my stats to track for me (besides a manual track...but as I said before, I am a bit lazy :huh: ).

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Thanks for the explanation AD. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Go Packers! :D

Usually Detroit is hard to beat at home, but Brett is on fire this year! B)
I don't want anything more than MY stats to be customized to show how I feel.

Then do as I suggested: Simply post the information in your profile and your logs. If you’re not happy that the text in the log is static, then use each log to instead invite folks to click on your profile for further information about your find history. I know I for one would be fascinated to check it out.

As an explanation, you could even accompany the statistics in your profile with this:

I want MY event attends to not be counted (as I now think I like those seperate)...I only want MY unique finds to show. No extra finds, no attendeds, no GPS adventures...just finds!

Wouldn't that just about cover it?

We ALREADY get a find count (which changes with each new cache), I would rather MY finds reflect the number the find was for THAT cache (number stays the same unless I later log a find on an earlier day, then the number would change to reflect which number that find was) (sbell idea, I like it and think it could work).

Are you aware that many cachers are happily accomplishing this already?

I see logs all the time where the cacher simply adds a line such as “This is cache find number XXX for me.” It’s not hard to do. Just check your current stat before you log your finds for the day, then index the number by one find per log. Easy!

In fact, Mtn-Man does this in most of his logs. He simply begins each log with the 'number of the moment.' You should check it out. It looks easy to me, but I'm sure he'd be happy to help you if you have any questions.

I DON'T want to add silly comments or "knock-knocks, that WOUlD be silly!

My point exactly. You obviously got the gist of my analogy.

Automation and customization is cool, but the site managers must strike a balance between functionality and complexity.

Ever notice how uncomplicated Google’s homepage looks? There is a ton of stuff available from Google, but the starting point is neat, clean and simple. That’s how the log headers on the cache pages should be, and that's how they are today. If Groundspeak takes your advice on the find count thing, why stop there? We all have ideas for automation. Why shouldn’t they also customize for font, typeface, quote-of-the-day, knock-knock jokes, time and temperature, computer-generated poetry, personal theme music or birthday announcements?

Because that’s not the purpose of the cache page logs, that’s why. That’s what your profile is for.

I'm not asking for a change that would "out" anyone who logs differently than I, I'm FAR past that ... (remember, I said I'd drop my asking for truthful numbers if TPTB decided against...they did). No alterior motives ...

Glad to hear it. You have no idea how glad. :huh:

Now if you could only convince some of our mutual friends in these threads to (1) admit their own true motivations behind their behavior-modification attempts, and (2) understand why there really is nothing to fear from other people’s find counts.

I want MY event attends to not be counted (as I now think I like those seperate)...I only want MY unique finds to show. No extra finds, no attendeds, no GPS adventures...just finds! ...

I'm not asking for anything that isn't already available, I just want them available ON MY ONLINE LOGS without me having to add them or even keep track of them, it can be done automatically (if one so chooses...voluntarily...simply)!!

Those things in your find count history you don’t consider to be valid finds – why ever did you log them as finds in the first place?

If you’ve logged something you don’t consider to be a “find,” you know you can always go back and change that “find” to a “note.” You can start right now and be done in a few minutes. Just go back and make plain-old notes out of all those “extra finds, attendeds, and GPS adventures.” Once you take care of that one-time job, your numbers will forevermore be “correct.” No automation required.

If you so choose...voluntarily...simply! :laughing:

Go Packers! :D

Go Packers...

(Not really a Vikings fan :laughing: )

Cool! ;) Most Packer fans don't call them Vi-"kings." :huh:
I'm just glad to see Detroit win more than 3 games in a season!

Time to close the thread? ;)

This IS still the website forum, isn't it?

Geocaching.com Web Site:

Discuss new features (or feature requests), bugs, etc. specific to the Geocaching.com site.

Go Packers! :)

Go Packers...

(Not really a Vikings fan :) )

Cool! B) Most Packer fans don't call them Vi-"kings." :D
I'm just glad to see Detroit win more than 3 games in a season!

Time to close the thread? B)

Geocaching.com Web Site:

Discuss new features (or feature requests), bugs, etc. specific to the Geocaching.com site.

'What harm is it doing? Who is the victim?' :laughing::huh:;):D;):DB):D
Go Packers...

(Not really a Vikings fan :huh: )

Time to close the thread? ;)

Geocaching.com Web Site:

I will fix my post to fit the discussion...

:DNovember 22 by ArcherDragoon (Not a Vikings Fan)

...now, that fits one possible idea...can't even pause an argument for a holiday...what has this country come to??? :laughing:

Later,

ArcherDragoon