Slow response on 60cx

GPS Derek

About a year ago I got a Garmin 60CX for Geocaching and some auto routing as I normally use Steet Pilot 3 for the car. Been using a 512mb memory card and City Navigator V7. Recently got TOPO Canada and have found I can have both loaded for my area(only viewing 1 at a time though).

Last week got a Kingston 2gb micro SD at a price I couldn't resist. Loaded up almost all of CN and 2 regions of TOPO with some space left over. All is good, I can use CN for driving and TOPO for caching without swithching memory chips.

BUT... there's always a BUT, response seem very slow on routing now. Prime example, Routing telles me to turn left which I do, The turn left page stays up long enough for me to miss the next quick right turn notification until I'm past the turn.

Don't remember it doing this before with the 512mb card. Is this because the 2GB memory is to bib for the 60cx to process quickly?

Worth while Suggestions welcomed.

TIA,

Derek

BUT... there's always a BUT, response seem very slow on routing now. Prime example, Routing telles me to turn left which I do, The turn left page stays up long enough for me to miss the next quick right turn notification until I'm past the turn.

Don't remember it doing this before with the 512mb card. Is this because the 2GB memory is to bib for the 60cx to process quickly?

TIA,

Derek

Unless you're on the edge of a map segment the unit needs to load into memory, the SD Card size or how full it is shouldn't matter at all. The turn info is not coming from the SD Card, but from internal memory in the unit via the processor. At least that's how I think it works.

I don't have a lot of experience using the 60CSx for driving, but the few times I've used it I've noticed that it DOES NOT handle closely spaced turns very well at all. I suspect it is a function of the processor speed of the unit and not related at all to storage. My maps are stored on a 2GB SD Card, but it just has a few MB on it, yet I've noted the exact problem you describe.

I've used a GPS-18 with a notebook computer using CN Ver X for several years and it gives outstanding directions even for multiple short turns. That's even considering that the 18 antenna is prone to lose it's signal quite readily. It's all a function of processor speed and the fact that the nRoute software gives warning and guidance well in advance of turns whereas the C60xxx is not configurable for turn warning distance which is very short and close to turns.

TIA,

Derek

Make sure you have the latest firmware updates. I seemed to recall one of the fixes dealt with late turn notifications.

seems I was 1 version behind... I have updated and will now see if that make a difference. Thank you.

To tlhutch.... Thank you for your theory , it goes with what I believed and that's why I didn't understand the new found slowness.

Much appreciated from both of you.

Another thing I've read (though never tried myself) is the change to auto-routing calculation mode from "Best calculation" to "Fast calculation" or something like that. The option is in the Setup menu, under Routing.

I don't know how the fastly generated routes are compared to the best routes, but it's worth a try to improve your routing speed...

Ive noticed it too. I just started using my Garmin 60cx again and have it plugged directly to my car. I too have a 2GB ULTRA microSD card in mine. i only have topo maps, city navigator and 24k Topo of the southwest (All of CA, parts of NV and AZ) which doesnt take too much space on my card. I bought the Sandisk Ultra for faster speed, but lately ive noticed that my Garmin takes way too long to load and i miss my stops. I have more than half satellites locked in, so i know thats not the issue. I have updated my Garmin with those recently released. Anyone have any suggestions or know whats going on? Thanks!!