Google Earth w/ geocache addon

psyber7

Just downloaded Google Earth with the Geocache KML file. :blink: , What an awesome utility....I'm so excited that I can scroll around earth and see all the geocaches that have been placed. Furthermore, it is a great utility to find locations that would make good hiding spots.

How many people are using this system?

TFGE

-psyber7

Just downloaded Google Earth with the Geocache KML file. :blink: , What an awesome utility....I'm so excited that I can scroll around earth and see all the geocaches that have been placed. Furthermore, it is a great utility to find locations that would make good hiding spots.

How many people are using this system?

TFGE

-psyber7

Personally, I haven't used it very much, but you're going to find a lot of positive replies here, from what I've read. One thing to keep in mind, though... geocaching.com deliberately "obfuscates" the coordinates a little bit. I'm afraid that I can't give you any more information than that, but I'm sure someone will add some detail soon.

It seems to me that the plugin is actually "guessing" where the cache is, based on website data. I'm not sure its as much an intentional thing as a byproduct of trying to access a huge non-native (to Google Earth) database. But I have no real expertise that would make my opinion worth anything, so make of it what you will. The point is don't count on the plugin for anything more than very vague, general accuracy.

You can, however, visit the cache page link from Google Earth, then copy and paste the coordinates into the "Fly to" box in Google Earth, and that will be as accurate as the satellite imagery is (which is dubious). By the way, you can get an idea of how well lined up the satellite linage is by seeing how closely a major road lines up with the overlay of the map. Some side streets don't line up well, but State & U.S. highways and interstates will be pretty good.

We use Google Earth with the Geocaching plugin all the time. It's fantastic for planning a cache run, especially in areas I'm not directly familiar with.

It seems to me that the plugin is actually "guessing" where the cache is, based on website data. I'm not sure its as much an intentional thing as a byproduct of trying to access a huge non-native (to Google Earth) database. But I have no real expertise that would make my opinion worth anything, so make of it what you will. The point is don't count on the plugin for anything more than very vague, general accuracy.

Groundspeak, on their Google Earth KLM info page doesn't admit to deliberately obfuscating the coords. Although I believe I read it or heard it from what I considered to be a reliable source, because I cannot support that claim, it should be ignored. Here is what Groundspeak has to say on the matter:

Please note that the coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location. Do not use the coordinates in Google Earth for cache hunting. It is merely a viewing tool for getting a general idea of the cache location.

We use Google Earth alot and find it an very valuable tool in everything from planning our day of caching to the placing of geocaches. The measure tool is handy for getting a general idea about distances like how far from the road or trail is the cache. And even how close to other caches or geographic features we will be when searching. The direction feature works well for plotting a course that include traveling from one city to another or one cache to another.

I have used it, it has been helpfull but there are alot of places in Ny where it is fuzzed out here is an example

N 42° 30.175 W 078° 15.810

This is one of many, i work in a rural area, and My house is on the border or rural and suburban, works fine from my house working towards buffalo but the further away from a city you get the fuzzier the images!

Edit-- I checked google earth, I only have the free one does the $20 package give you a better image? Sorry for posting and not reading correctly...

Edited by bigryry

I have used it, it has been helpfull but there are alot of places in Ny where it is fuzzed out here is an example

The entire planet isn't (yet??) available in high resolution,, there is sooo much scanning & digitizing to perform that I guess they start by concentrating on the higher-interest areas (cities, noticable attractions) and will eventually work their way all over. Sorry to say but, if your area isn't in high resolution then your area probably isn't interesting :ph34r: (don't feel bad, my neighborhood isn't interesting either <_< )

Use it constantly...It is the best tool for planning a trip.

I actually found my first 10 caches using only google earth no gps....I would find a cache on google and open up the cache page....Cut and past the cords from the cache page back to google earth and hit find. It was usually with in 10 feet acurate...(doesn't beat my Garmin that I own now but it did get me hooked on caching...)

This is one of many, i work in a rural area, and My house is on the border or rural and suburban, works fine from my house working towards buffalo but the further away from a city you get the fuzzier the images!

Edit-- I checked google earth, I only have the free one does the $20 package give you a better image? Sorry for posting and not reading correctly...

No spending more won't give you a better image. Low resolution garbage is what I see for most of the area around me.

See Bridgeport Nebraska.

Just wondering if I can comment on a recent change to the nearest feature. I have used this feature quite extensively when I travelled to enable me to find the geocaches that were close to the address I was staying. I have noticed through, that recently, this feature has changed. Now I have to go into google earth and get the coordinates and then put them in.

Could/would it be possible to have this feature back to the way it was. (IE. when I put an address in a red baloon would appear showing the exact location that I put in and all the caches around the area were there. I found this very hepful when staying in a strange city. At least it didn't allow me to "wander" too far away from my hotel.

Comments, suggestions, please must welcomed! Maybe there is an easier way!

Ladybug

jocelyn