DNFs

P4nD0r4

I'm a semi-n00b @ caching. Not even a year old cacher yet :santa:

I was wondering about the whole process of posting a DNF. If I DNF something and post a DNF log, but then find the cache later, is it my personal decision to delete the DNF log I previously posted? I noticed there's a way to view all my DNFs on the site and I'm sure people see their DNF list as a checklist to go try to find the caches later on. So I guess the question is: Do you delete your DNF logs if you find the cache? Do cachers find DNF logs helpful or should they be deleted upon finding the cache?

I think it would depend on how you want to organize your finds. We leave our DNFs up, but then again, we're not at 4000 finds like some. I could see where it would get confusing after a while, but for us, that's a non-issue. I don't think it would matter if you deleted your DNF as you clearly have found it. I can see where it would be helpful to do so if you go back to make sure you find all the DNFs you have. I think it boils down to a personal choice.

I keep my DNFs. And like Roddy said its part of my experience at the cache.

Edit to add that DNFs are getting to be really rare in my area. I have a cache that is a 3 star difficulty and rarely gets found, then suddenly I get a bunch of Fount It logs. I think people were looking for it but never log their DNFs. Why is that?

Edited by 9Key

I log all my DNFs and do not edit them to "Found it" logs if I go back and find the cache later.

DNFs are not something to be "ashamed" of. As a cache owner, I appreciate receiving them if someone looks, even if just for a little while, and doesn't find the container. That lets me know at least someone was looking for one of my generally very lonely caches.

I'm a semi-n00b @ caching. Not even a year old cacher yet :santa:

I was wondering about the whole process of posting a DNF. If I DNF something and post a DNF log, but then find the cache later, is it my personal decision to delete the DNF log I previously posted? I noticed there's a way to view all my DNFs on the site and I'm sure people see their DNF list as a checklist to go try to find the caches later on. So I guess the question is: Do you delete your DNF logs if you find the cache? Do cachers find DNF logs helpful or should they be deleted upon finding the cache?

It's up to you! I log all my DNFs but I do edit them to "Found it" logs if I find the cache later. However, I keep my DNF log in my find log to keep the experience documented in one nice clean log. I also like to have my DNFs be a list of caches that I still need to find.

DNFs are a part of the history of the cache as much as the found it logs are.

They are also important information to other geocachers. For example if I look at the logs and see nothing but smiley faces I assume that the cache should be an easy find. If I see some DNFs sprinkled among the logs I know that it won't be a slam dunk find and will probably look a little harder.

We always leave our DNF logs in place, and log a separate "Found it" if/when we ever do eventually find it.

Partly it's for ourselves -- we like to have a record of all of our cache hunts, whether they resulted in finds or not. And partly it's for the reason that briansnat mentions in the previous post.

As an example of that, we DNF'd on a cache today, and when we went to log it, we saw that it had 44 found-it logs and 22 DNF logs (23, now :santa: ). That 2:1 find-to-DNF ratio was pretty reassuring to us -- if all of those previous DNFer's had changed their logs after finding it on a subsequent try, we'd feel like we must have missed something blindingly obvious; instead, we know that it's a tough hide that could take multiple attempts.

I used to delete them. I guess I removing excess data from the website like I would if it was my own hard drive. But then I also kept an excel file of them so I knew their status; like whether they were really there, if they were worth trying again etc... Finally realized that deleting them was deleting good usable data, so now I leave them.

I wish I had the stats as to what actually causes DNFs, but I bet the top 5 reasons involve:

1) The cache/waypoints are missing.

2) The coords are off.

3) The cacher is inexperienced.

4) Muggles around the cache.

5) The cache has a higher difficulty rating.

My biggest reasons for DNFs are #1 and #2. #5 can often take more than one try to find a particular cache. It once took my buddies and I three days to do a difficult and famous multi together. We each logged notes each day. The purpose of the notes was to let the owner/others know how we were progressing. I didn't want to log a DNF each day because everything was intact and I didn't want to send out a false alarm. False alarms cause others to decide to not go search for a cache. So you are not doing an owner a favor by crying wolf. Anyhow, when I finished it, I logged my entire adventure in my find log. :santa:

I wish I had the stats as to what actually causes DNFs, but I bet the top 5 reasons involve:

2) The coords are off.

not true - most of mine are just plain bad luck.......

2) The coords are off.

not true - most of mine are just plain bad luck.......

Bad luck? That's not bad. Most of mine are just, um...what should I say...incompetence?

Really, though, I like leaving the DNFs in place to make it easier to find them in my caching history. Some days I'll go through and look for caches I've DNF'd just to read the logs and see how others are doing. Once, I even found a snide remark by someone who found it after I DNF'd it...

...which made me hope I never met the guy at an event. On second thought....

I think for right now tis one of those things that is different for every cacher. I do not delete my DNF logs when I eventually find the cache. Others do. I think the majority of cachers do not delete their DNF's when they find the cache. (at least in my area)

I would personally have a hard time deleting my DNF's just cuz some of my DNF logs are really good

2) The coords are off.

My biggest reasons for DNFs are #1 and #2. #5 can often take more than one try to find a particular cache. It once took my buddies and I three days to do a difficult and famous multi together. We each logged notes each day. The purpose of the notes was to let the owner/others know how we were progressing. I didn't want to log a DNF each day because everything was intact and I didn't want to send out a false alarm. False alarms cause others to decide to not go search for a cache. So you are not doing an owner a favor by crying wolf. Anyhow, when I finished it, I logged my entire adventure in my find log. :blink:

My 2 biggest reasons for DNF's are:

1) I was hoping to make a quick find and when I didn't find it quickly I left

2) This hide is really hard, I'll be back to look again.

Of course, I would love to see the stats as well so we could really determine the top 5 reasons for DNF's

2) The coords are off.

My biggest reasons for DNFs are #1 and #2. #5 can often take more than one try to find a particular cache. It once took my buddies and I three days to do a difficult and famous multi together. We each logged notes each day. The purpose of the notes was to let the owner/others know how we were progressing. I didn't want to log a DNF each day because everything was intact and I didn't want to send out a false alarm. False alarms cause others to decide to not go search for a cache. So you are not doing an owner a favor by crying wolf. Anyhow, when I finished it, I logged my entire adventure in my find log. :lol:

My guess for the #1 reason...because you couldn't find it! :lol::lol::lol::lol::blink:

It's interesting to me how anti-DNF some people are...I've noticed some people will log notes instead of a DNF. To each their own, but I log any and all DNF's if I get to get to ground zero on a coordinate and can't find it I log it and look again later.

I am not sure if people think its failure to log one or what...to me the failure is in not finding it, so for me logging it accurately is just a matter of honesty.

I would encourage people to:

1. Log your DNF's

2. Don't delete or change them.

I actually keep a DNF scoreboard on my profile page!

They are a part of your caching history, and part of the cache's history. Look at this cache (Dan Foley Forest) for an example. The cache has 16 found logs and 12 DNF logs. If all the DNF's were deleted... and you were contemplating making an attempt, the profile of this cache would seem much different. I myself DNF'ed it during a FTF attempt and twice more afterwards before finding it on my fourth try! If I deleted my DNF's it would paint a much different picture.

No shame in a DNF... we all have them, and sometimes they make the funniest logs! :blink:

Let them shine!

DCC

2) The coords are off.

My biggest reasons for DNFs are #1 and #2. #5 can often take more than one try to find a particular cache. It once took my buddies and I three days to do a difficult and famous multi together. We each logged notes each day. The purpose of the notes was to let the owner/others know how we were progressing. I didn't want to log a DNF each day because everything was intact and I didn't want to send out a false alarm. False alarms cause others to decide to not go search for a cache. So you are not doing an owner a favor by crying wolf. Anyhow, when I finished it, I logged my entire adventure in my find log. :lol:

My guess for the #1 reason...because you couldn't find it! :P:lol::lol::blink::lol:

Very funny! When I don't find one I always want to know why I didn't. I am always very curious. I listed the reasons why I haven't found them above. They are pretty much in the right order too. #3 still applies to me even though I have been caching for five years. Sometimes I run into a hiding technique that I have not seen and it will stump me. I really enjoy those kind of caches! :lol:

Yeah, I don't think you should delete your DNFs. DNFs are stories! I actually enjoy reading others' DNF logs.

In fact, when I read a cache's online log, I like reading the story way more than looking to see if its a smiley or a frowney.

Read my DNF story for the cache named "The Treasure of King Icantstopcaching". There's NO WAY I'm deleting that story.

I've always left my DNF's even when I make the find becuase I agree it is a really important part of the cache history. And, I've wondered about the smiley logs that say something like "this was our third attempt and today we finally found it". Hmmm - where are the two previous DNF logs? Must have been some good stories there that will never be told :)

Just my style of caching, but I wholey agree with the theory that DNF's are nothing to be ashamed about, nothing to try and hide, are very helpful info to cache owners, and are a big part of caching history.

Edited by private bones
Yeah, I don't think you should delete your DNFs. DNFs are stories! I actually enjoy reading others' DNF logs.

In fact, when I read a cache's online log, I like reading the story way more than looking to see if its a smiley or a frowney.

Read my DNF story for the cache named "The Treasure of King Icantstopcaching". There's NO WAY I'm deleting that story.

We think that that you shouldn't delete your DNF logs, they are a story in themselves and may help others. I had 24 DNFs in one day recently (sometimes I am lame multiple times!). Read my DNF log (it took two logs) for JOB Peak GCJGKX on 23 Feb, then my smiley log on 13 Jul. Bottom line though is that it we believe it is up to you how you do it. Have fun!

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but perhaps it would be helpful if there was some way to note on the DNF page that a cache has been completed. From what I was getting from the OP, they weren't wanting to delete the history, but to organize their stats so they could easily tell which DNFs they have found the next time around. Maybe this exists and I'm missing it? If not, I could see where this might be helpful to people who wish to keep track of this sort of thing.

we had a hard time with one of our first finds. we went back 3 times in 3 days before finding it. I think we DNFed it when we had to ask for some help but later added a find to the log.

EDIT: just like the DNF I will never delete or edit out anything. I went and looked at the hide in question and we never did DNF it. Next time we will DNF at least once if we don't find it no matter how many visits. Which brings up the question...do you have to DNF for every visit to a hide you can't find?

Edited by KJcachers
we had a hard time with one of our first finds. we went back 3 times in 3 days before finding it. I think we DNFed it when we had to ask for some help but later added a find to the log.

EDIT: just like the DNF I will never delete or edit out anything. I went and looked at the hide in question and we never did DNF it. Next time we will DNF at least once if we don't find it no matter how many visits. Which brings up the question...do you have to DNF for every visit to a hide you can't find?

Unless the cache owner specifies it, there is nothing that says we to "have to" do it a certain way. It sounds like most people log all DNFs. Some log them even if they don't look for very long. I prefer my complete history including my failed attempts to be in my one find log. It makes it nicer to read later. I don't think you could say that this way is wrong. It's just different.

Since I put some effort into on-line logs (both finds and DNFs), I would be remiss to delete that history and effort.

Besides, I am rather proud of my DNFs and their associated logs! A DNF is just as much of an experience as a find (and sometimes MORE of an experience than many of my finds).

Since I put some effort into on-line logs (both finds and DNFs), I would be remiss to delete that history and effort.

Besides, I am rather proud of my DNFs and their associated logs! A DNF is just as much of an experience as a find (and sometimes MORE of an experience than many of my finds).

I have to agree with most. I always log my DNFs no matter what the situation. It's not only humbling, but is obviously helpful to hinders and finders (if not humorous). It amazes me how many cachers I know that won't log DNFs, or at least drag their feet. I think it's an EGO thing. Admitting defeat! Well if you got defeated........fess up! It’s only a game and no one’s perfect.

Ras G