Performing CITO in Cached Park

I am in the process of setting up a CITO Cache Event.

I have the approval of the Park Operations Lead, and his supervisors.

They said to go ahead and contact the city as well, to get support from the local Community center, as this will ensure enough bodies. (Large Park)

There are three caches in the park. Two of them Multi. One is mine.

I will be temp archiving my cache, and another user, which I know, will most likely do the same. Should we contact the other user and request a temporary archive, so that the caches are not lost to the muggles in the park?

Many of these caches will be discovered if left in place. Especially once people start turning over stuff, and reaching in tight spaces to get trash.

Since you never know what type of people will attend a community event, I thought a temporary disabling and removing of Caches would be in order.

I didn't see this addressed anywhere, and wondered what the general consensus is.

TIA for advice/input.

oh, side note:

I will place 2-3 caches in a nearby area, so that geocachers can still have an after-cache event if they choose to.

Edited by MaplessInSeattle

I find your post confusing.

A CITO event is by geocachers for geocachers. There shouldn't be any need to archive or remove caches for a CITO. Heck, if possible place one or two new ones.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx]#cito

They said to go ahead and contact the city as well, to get support from the local Community center, as this will ensure enough bodies. (Large Park)

If you do that, then you aren't having a CITO event, but a general clean up with the general public invited; that's great, but you can't list it as an event here on Geocaching.com.

If the caches are well hidden and marked, I wouldn't expect them to need to be removed in any case. But I do trust your judgement on that. You're on site and can decide if that's the right call.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I find your post confusing.

A CITO event is by geocachers for geocachers.

If you do that, then you aren't having a CITO event, but a general clean up with the general public invited; that's great, but you can't list it as an event here on Geocaching.com.

If the caches are well hidden and marked, I wouldn't expect them to need to be removed in any case. But I do trust your judgement on that. You're on site and can decide if that's the right call.

Ok, almost everything I've read has stated to contact local this or that. Now you're saying if I do, we can't count it as a cache?!

ugh, well then nevermind this thread, I'll scrap the whole idea.