Bouncing Garmins

Fuzzywhip

I have been having a problem with my Garmin eTrek Legend lately and don't know if is the GPSr or just a situation with sat reception.

A couple of times, I have been using the GPSr, and find the coords bouncing back and forth between two separate sets of coord. One set is correct (according to the displayed map) and the other set is about a mile away.

If I turn the GPSr off and reboot, the coords settle on the correct set.

I can get correct coords for days in a row, then suddenly, this problem will start.

Oh, and the software version is 3.70 (same version that came with the unit). I have not done any updates or modifications to the unit. I have several local MapSource maps loaded and have the Communicator plug-in on my PC for uploading coords from geocaching.com

I have been having a problem with my Garmin eTrek Legend lately and don't know if is the GPSr or just a situation with sat reception.

A couple of times, I have been using the GPSr, and find the coords bouncing back and forth between two separate sets of coord. One set is correct (according to the displayed map) and the other set is about a mile away.

If I turn the GPSr off and reboot, the coords settle on the correct set.

I can get correct coords for days in a row, then suddenly, this problem will start.

Oh, and the software version is 3.70 (same version that came with the unit). I have not done any updates or modifications to the unit. I have several local MapSource maps loaded and have the Communicator plug-in on my PC for uploading coords from geocaching.com

Since you have maps loaded, it could be the "lock to road" feature is trying to snap your coordinates to the nearest road. Try disabling that and see if it makes a difference.