Magellan Triton 500 Question

Hopperja

I am considering getting the Magellan Triton 500 from Costco (when they come in; $149.99) to start geocaching with my 3 boys. I have and have used a Garmin GPS 12 a little bit. I find it's not nearly accurate enough for geocaching (pre-WAAS).

I have a Mac computer; if I also buy the National Geographic Topo software, would I be able to plan routes on my computer, save the info in .gpx format, then transfer it to the Triton using the micro SD card (I have a card reader for my Mac)?

Thanks for any help!

I am considering getting the Magellan Triton 500 from Costco (when they come in; $149.99) to start geocaching with my 3 boys. I have and have used a Garmin GPS 12 a little bit. I find it's not nearly accurate enough for geocaching (pre-WAAS).

I have a Mac computer; if I also buy the National Geographic Topo software, would I be able to plan routes on my computer, save the info in .gpx format, then transfer it to the Triton using the micro SD card (I have a card reader for my Mac)?

Thanks for any help!

I went to this link :

http://natgeomaps.com/category/TOPO%21%20f...d=183&tid=3

and perused the software, looking at 'Backroads' and 'Topo'.

It SEEMS as though their code writers are stuck in the '90s still, only time will tell!

There will only be change if enough people inquire as to why, in this day and age, with

the ease of code porting on their end why they don't just DO IT. Cost isn't an acceptable

answer, but laziness although not acceptable does explain a lot. In respect to tech support,

that in and of it's self would be considerably reduced if they just released it as MAC only.

Rant over,

Norm

P.S. :

Edit to add: Can also be confirmed by inspecting the packaging on the Nat. Geo. products

at a brick and mortar, tracks and waypoints may work, but the ESSENTIAL map loading WON'T.

Edited by RRLover

Thanks for any help!

At least initially, Magellan's VantagePoint software will be PC only. And while our TOPO! software will work with the Triton -- not only transferring waypoints and tracks as it does with other GPS models, but also the maps themselves -- the transfer works through VantagePoint, thus will not work for Mac users, at least for now.

Eric Riback/NGMaps

Thanks for any help!

At least initially, Magellan's VantagePoint software will be PC only. And while our TOPO! software will work with the Triton -- not only transferring waypoints and tracks as it does with other GPS models, but also the maps themselves -- the transfer works through VantagePoint, thus will not work for Mac users, at least for now.

Eric Riback/NGMaps

Eric :

Thank-you for coming on board, I, for one, appreciate your willingness to join us here,

and perhaps at the YaHoo Triton group. We as a group can all benefit from the presence

of a representative of the companies that provide the necessities of our hobby. Whether

to share sad truths, or happy ones, certainly dispelling rumor can be a 'win/win'.

WELCOME! . . here, . . and there!

Norm