Celti FTF's Coins are open for sale

T"n"T

With all the really great coins coming out lately, We wanted to get some feedback on one we think turned out well.

Tank and I designed this one together and are posting to get some help.

We have a few decisions to make on it.

First we were thinking that it would present better as a 1.75" coin around 3.5 mm thick

We also have the option open to go to a smaller 1.5" coin, Which one do you thick would work better?

And a question for other makers/designers, What transparent colors do you feel match the GC colors the best?

Ok, now that I've got the basic out,,,, how about the picture,,,,

ftfcelticarttomint.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nifty.

Does the combination of a cut out and transparent area give it the stained glass effect?

That is the idea. Just got e-mail last night fromt he mint and it looks like they can do it. Now just to decide exactly how.

I have been learning that the stained glass effect is a lot of work. I think the stained glass part will have to be recessed and the metal thinner in that portion of the coin. You can make the outer rim thicker though. I think the mint may suggest that.

If you go with the coin trackable I think 1.75" may be better otherwise the tracking code may bit a bit small.

I like the design!! :(

I have been learning that the stained glass effect is a lot of work. I think the stained glass part will have to be recessed and the metal thinner in that portion of the coin. You can make the outer rim thicker though. I think the mint may suggest that.

You don't even want to know what the die fees are,,, :(

Edited by T"n"T

You don't even want to know what the die fees are,,, :laughing:

I can, working on one now and the fees are 3 times that of a normal coin. This effect is really expensive!

Been there.. done that, bought the shirt. Twice. :(

Went through two of these with the Sunburst and our Personal... wait! I almost forgot Santa!

Three times... its alot of work to get it right.

You don't even want to know what the die fees are,,, :laughing:

I can, working on one now and the fees are 3 times that of a normal coin. This effect is really expensive!

Been there.. done that, bought the shirt. Twice. :(

Went through two of these with the Sunburst and our Personal... wait! I almost forgot Santa!

Three times... its alot of work to get it right.

Any suggestions for us beginners to the stained glass effect? Think I have worked through some issues but don't have a mold yet and woudl like to make sure it get's done correctly.

Sorry TnT for the Hijack. :laughing:

Although your coin has got a different overall look and functionality, I can't help but liken a significant design element to Chris Mackey's previous "FTF" coin which also utilized the same Mason-esque font that you chose to use. It's just my artsy opinion, but when multiple similar elements of a previous design are utilized, it becomes more of a "redux" than an original idea. That's not meant to say it's not a worthy project, because the overall look is fine. I'd just suggest that to set your overall design apart, you might consider giving less of a nod to things that have already been done.

ETA: Borrowing a pic of Chris' coin from LadyBee4T:

FTFbronze.jpg

Edited by YemonYime

Although your coin has got a different overall look and functionality, I can't help but liken a significant design element to Chris Mackey's previous "FTF" coin which also utilized the same Mason-esque font that you chose to use. It's just my artsy opinion, but when multiple similar elements of a previous design are utilized, it becomes more of a "redux" than an original idea. That's not meant to say it's not a worthy project, because the overall look is fine. I'd just suggest that to set your overall design apart, you might consider giving less of a nod to things that have already been done.

ETA: Borrowing a pic of Chris' coin from LadyBee4T:

FTFbronze.jpg

Thanks for opinion. You have done some great coins and feedback is a great way of sharing ideas. This time however I am not sure if we will make that a change. I do not feel we have "copied" several design ideas.

The font is one of 4 Celtic fonts we placed on coin to choose from and due to the smaller space because of the cut out area, this one stood out. Otherwise, I don't see to much in common with Chris's wonderful wonderful coin(that I have several of). What does everyone else think???? Waited to see if there would be other posts one way or the other and had not seen any as of yet. Please help guys....

On another point.

We have decided that this coin surely needs to be the 1.75" to really see details. It looks to remain the 3.5mm thickness, and it will be a thicker fill more like the GCC Anni. and Dragonfly coins.

Thanks so much for imput so far.

Who else has any ideas. We have not started the dies yet so we have some time to add or make changes.

Posting the finished pictures of one of the finishes of the soon to be released FTF coins.

This one is in the Antique Copper. They will also be in Antique Nickel, and ( I think) Antique Gold, and also a get it only in the complete set during pre-order of a either shiney gold with black nickel 2-tone knotting or Black nickel with gold 2-tone knotting.

Icon will be a knot like one in center. Still working on getting exact pricing down and will get that all posted as soon as I get info about finishes and exact release date.

P2220661.jpgP2220658.jpg

Merging threads. Let's keep all the history in one place. Remember, one coin, one thread, moderators can change the title whenever you want if you simply click on "report this post" on your first post and tell us what you want it changed to. But it's easier for everyone if the history stays in one thread, from idea to production. There's no need to open new threads and close old ones.

Goning to be just a bit longer on these. Working on another set of samples to decide on a 2-tone combo for the in set version. Will either be Black nickel with gold knotwork, or gold with black nickel knotwork. The regular versions will be in Antique Gold, Antique Copper, and Antique Nickel. The antique on these really helps the knots pop.

Will get all the photos posted as they get here.

I have an FTF coin that I've dropped into every cache I get an FTF at (304).

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your copper and nickel versions. :o

We have one of those we started doing the same thing with and kinda got off pace with them. Have to get back in the habbit.

BTW pics of the copper are in post #16

I have some new ones I just tried to take that show the stained glass effect fairly well. Will get those up soon.

Ok everyone! the sale is up and so far going well.

Details again:

1.75" 3.5 mm thick

Cut outs with translucent fill for that stained glass look

Available in enough metals to make anyone happy.

The standard metal will be:

Black Nickel- Tanks choice

Antique Copper - Tracy's choice

Antique Nickel

Antique Gold

And a in pre-sale set Gold

Sadly the mint was unable to get these to come out in the 2 tone we had tried for.

Price $9.50 for individuals

And the five coin set for $45 this will be a very short pre-sale period as I am to place the intial order early this coming week. Hoping for coins to be in around third week of May.

Direct links to pages are:Full set FTF's

Individual FTF geocoins

The order for these is into mint. Waiting to get shipping time quote from them. Will post estimated date when recieved. There are still about 15 sets showing in stock. This is fromt he over order I did when we placed order back on Monday. Estimated how many would be sold by Friday.

To help with any questions about run sizes, this minting has a total of 600 coins. 60 sets that include the gold coin( not to be re-made).

We opened enough other metals for everyone to get their favorites, after this first round is sold we will be keeping these as standard reg items. However we will not be keeping all metals. 2 will be retired and 2 shall remain as re-mint as needed.

Thanks to all those that have ordered these. I am sure you will be very happy as these look even better in person than the photos show.