Garmin Nuvi 350 - information maximum?

mishshel

You can load an unlimited number of pocket quires using GSAK and the Garmin POI loader. You are only limited by the amount of available memory. You can only load 500 waypoints as your Favorites. The POI folder will only hold one GPX file and the Favorites folder will only hold one GPX file.

I've heard that you can have multiple files but you have to manually rename the file.

Hi all. Is there a maximum amount of .gpx info the Garmin Nuvi 350 is able to hold? I've put the results of 2 pocket queries on it and now it won't take any more.

How did you load the caches?

What software did you use?

Did you load them as Favorites or as Custom POIs?

Did you load them to the unit or to an SD card?

I use POI Loader to load them (free download from Garmin)

I don't see the option of "where to load them". I run POI Loader and put them on the card. I've loaded as many as 800 caches this way.

I always load them to the sd card. (Easier to wipe off using POI Loader) I only have a 512 MB card!

Sometimes I will have multiple databases on my Nuvi. One for my home caches and another (or more) for towns I may be visiting.

Even though all the caches don't readily show up when you're scrolling through the list, they're there. Nuvi will only display the closest 50 caches. If you do a search and spell out the GC number, you'll see that the farther ones are loaded.

How did you load the caches?

What software did you use?

Did you load them as Favorites or as Custom POIs?

Did you load them to the unit or to an SD card?

Thanks to everyone for your responses on this issue. I am fairly tech savy but the Garmin issue is throwing me for a loop. I've been creating pocket queries and loading them onto my Nuvi. We live near Austin which is FULL of caches so they won't all fit.

Now I've downloaded GSAK which is fun to wander through. I've also downloaded the Garmin POI Loader. When the POI Loader puts the info in the Nuvi, a file appears in the POI folder but nothing appears on the Nuvi screen. What am I missing here?

Two things to note:

1. I haven't put the GSAK into the equation yet. Just using the POI loader to take .gpx files from the laptop to the Garmin.

2. I'm looking at the Garmin without satellite reception right now. This shouldn't make a different but who knows....

Thanks again for your help.

mishshel

If you were previously loading your Pocket Queries directly to nuvi (meaning copying the GPX file to the nuvi itself), then they were being loaded as Favorites and you are limited to 500 Favorites.

I use GSAK on my computer, but I don't use it to load caches to my GPS unit (although many/most people do).

I use POI Loader to load the Pocket Queries as Custom POIs. Then the will show up under Where to? > Extras > Custom POIs.

You might have to zoom in closer to see them on the map screen on the nuvi.

You should have plenty of space on the nuvi itself for Custom POIs, but you can also load them to an SD card instead.

Yep to what Motorcycle Mama said. (She took the words right outta my mouth!)

I do load them to my sd card. My sd card is only 512 MB and I've not yet run out of space.

If you load multiple databases, it will be Where to? > Extras > Cutoms POIs > *database name(s)*

If you activate the proximity alarm, it will "bong" if you're within the preset distance of a cache. I set mine at 500'. Sometimes it's handy, it will go off and you didn't even realize you were practically driving over one.

I definitely echo the comments regarding GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. It is a MUST have.

I setup 3 pocket queries to get 3 different files (actually, additional waypoints are ZIP'd also) - for three different cities. Then, I load the 3 (actually 6) files into GSAK, which maintains a database and uses the downloaded query files to update its records.

I export this data to a single GPX file, using a macro. Here's the cool part - Thanks to ClydeE (GSAK guru), a custom macro runs in GSAK while exporting and formats all the descriptions. The file is saved to its own directory so POI Loader finds it and imports the data to my Nuvi 750.

When I view the Custom POIs in the Nuvi, it shows the name. If I press "MORE" on the screen, I get the full description, decoded hints, last find date, who created the cache and the "GCxxxx" code for reference.

So basically, ALL the query information is loaded onto the Nuvi and it is nicely formatted.

I've tried many difference GPX-related programs and nothing comes close to GSAK. IMHO!

wow, this topic is getting me excited. i recently got a nuvi 200, can i do all this as well?

Absolutely! A Nuvi 200 is exactly what I own!

would you mind if i pm you later for additional help? i usually use a legend for geocaching but i would love to 'get all i can' out of my nuvi as well.

I have a nuvi 350. I am using Easy GPS which downloads 500 caches to my GPSmap 60Cx no problem but truncates at 50 caches in my nuvi--same file. cant figure out why? This means I can only find caches from A to D. Would like to try GSAK but it crashed my computer when I downloaded it and had to uninstall--afraid to try again.Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I have a nuvi 350. I am using Easy GPS which downloads 500 caches to my GPSmap 60Cx no problem but truncates at 50 caches in my nuvi--same file. cant figure out why? This means I can only find caches from A to D. Would like to try GSAK but it crashed my computer when I downloaded it and had to uninstall--afraid to try again.Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

As stated by MikeWCFL above, GSAK is a must-have . . . Often problems with installation are caused by the Anti-virus software on your computer. I have never had such problems, but I use Grisoft's AVG Antivirus.

Visit the GSAK Help Forums for help with it and its installation. Those guys can also help you with loading the POI info for the Nuvi.

Edited by Miragee

Are you sure it's truncating them? The nuvis will only show the 50 closest Favorites/POIs (or whatever) to your current position, but the rest should be searchable by name.

Are you sure it's truncating them? The nuvis will only show the 50 closest Favorites/POIs (or whatever) to your current position, but the rest should be searchable by name.

Yes, I tried to search by name before but just tried again. Only the first 50 caches listed alphabetically are there. My closest to home is Size Doesn't Matter. It's not there. I also checked the file through the computer after download and its not there.