Is it bad taste to replicate a cache.

shellbn4

If a hide is truly unusual, like a custom-created puzzle or container, then I would ask before copying and I would want to be asked before someone else copied from me. But in 90-something percent of cases, it's been done several times before. You can still acquire a reputation as an evil genius among the local cachers who don't travel far and wide, since it will be the first time that *they* have seen what you've seen in four other cities.

I love it when people 'steal' my container ideas. I've borrowed a few hiding methods myself. I just make sure the caches are not too close together. I have a Ballfield's series in my area (Penticton, BC) and each cache is a totally different hiding method. Makes it more interesting so you're not just going to the field and getting a magnetic under a bench every time (although one is that method because I couldn't find a better place!). I have everything from a magnetic bench cache to one that's actually IN the dugout (makes it interesting on game days heheh), one's a camo'd ID canister in a fir tree, another is hidden inside a pipe in the bleachers attached to fishing line....I just decided to make them all different.

I recently saw a picture of a cache. Its in another state and i thought it would be a fun cache to place here. Is it in bad taste to replicate a cache. (the cache in question has been archived )

I have no problem with copycat caches but when someone duplicates one of my caches only a few miles away from the original cache and then claims originality - that ticks me abit :D

(the cache in question has been achieved)

Do you mean that somebody stole my film canister idea??!!! (and I'm guessing you meant to say "archived"?)

No, no. What he means to say is that the cache has transcended this material world and 'achieved' a higher state of being. It has not been archived; it just takes searching of the soulish sort.

I recently saw a picture of a cache. Its in another state and i thought it would be a fun cache to place here. Is it in bad taste to replicate a cache. (the cache in question has been archived )

If by "bad taste" you mean that there is some question wrt whether or not you ought to create a cache like one that someone else had done before you. Well one thing's for sure, if that was not being done, there'd be about 124 geocaches in the entire United States. Maybe a few more but not many. :(:D:D

Variations on a theme is crucial to the proliferation of geocaches. And if the people who run this service didn't want cache proliferation, they'd have done something about it long long ago. :D

I included this in the one that I copied:

In tribute to a cache, ok really a ripoff of a hide that I liked that I found while in Memphis, (wp GCBAD6 the Memphis Arch-that only took me 3 tries to actually find the darn thing)

I was flattered to find a mention on a cache that was placed based on another one that I had hidden.