Downloading to Garmin Etrex Legend

Cat111s

I am very new to Geo Caching and am attempting to load coordinates for some caches I wish to find to my Garmin Etrex Legend unit. I keep getting error messages. I could use any and all assistance/advice on setting my computer and GPS unit to work properly. :ph34r:

I have read/printed and followed the information for Down loading etc. I am using the software from that site. Also the mapping software that came with the unit. One thing I forgot to mention, I had to get an adapter for the serial port plug because my computer doesn't have on. Adapter is to a USB port etc.. Could this be causing the problem? Thanks for your input and any more that you can give.

The adapter could definitely be the problem. Are you getting a "Com Port" error. Perhaps someone familiar with changing those settings will come along to help.

Did you install the driver that came with the Serial to USB adapter?

No software included fo the serial to USB. Purchased it from Tiger Direct. Cheaper than what Garmin wanted.

This may well be mentioned in one of the linked articles, but make sure your GPSr 'Interface' is set to Garmin . . .

Main Menu>Setup>Interface>Serial Data Format: GARMIN

I'm been successfully using a Serial/USB adapter with my eTrex Legend for some time. Make sure you have the drivers for your adapter. Mine didn't come with anything either and I had to search for them on the Internet. I got mine cheap too! :(

Not to overlook the obvious . . . make sure the GPSr is on . . . :laughing:

Er, were you trying to load direct from the website cache description? Seems like you have to be a Premium member to do that . . . OtherwiseTry re-installing the software from Garmin

I use the Garmin etrex Legend CX, Make sure you have the latest software and drivers. Next you will probably get an error message that says you need the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Follow the directions for install. Don't run it save it, follow directions. If after you install and it fails to recognize go to your toolbar and under tools click manage add ons. Enable the Garmin communicator Plugin. You should be good to go.

Oh ya, use the USB cable that came with you unit, if it didn't use one from a camera etc, that matches your connections.