Fun caches for young kids

hydnsek

Help! I'm taking a good friend and her 6-yr-old son, Nick, caching for the first time this weekend, and I'm trying to think of caches that he will enjoy. He heard me talk about caching a while back and is very eager to try it. Of course, being six, it's about finding the treasures, or finding cool funny containers, etc. (I wish Half-Canadian had some hides down here. :ph34r:)

They live in Redmond, so I need ideas for the Redmond/Kirkland/Bellevue area. I was looking at a couple of Seth!'s older caches about fairy tales and such, but they are multis, which Nick may get impatient with. I also don't know how much walking he'll want to do to reach the cache, which made me wonder about a few others that seemed interesting initially.

I was thinking of hitting a couple of Albert&Friends' caches, cos many of the containers are neat, but they are mostly micros, and I know Nick will want to trade trinkets.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by hydnsek

A couple that my son (4) liked a lot...

Alex's Park Fun (GC16K1Y) - Small park, zero cover, but a very easy find. mightyzinn loves this cache.

Alex's Halloween Cache (GC16WKC) - Near Alex's other cache, a great kid cache with park attached

Scary Cemetery Cache (GC16C5D) - this one's in Woodinville - Easy cache, tons of loot in there when we visited

Potluck & Quilting Bee Memorial Cache (GC2AAB) - tons of fun if they like dogs!

Albert's Bellevue Art Walk (GC10Y8V) - may be no loot for the taking, but it was cool enough to amaze mightyzinn into not noticing that

Grass Lawn Park, Let's Try This Again (GC15MDN) - ours in Grass Lawn Park, currently disabled, but we're very much hoping to rehide before the weekend and have it stocked with some decent Lego swag

Hope that proves useful!

Are there any good night caches in that area? (We haven't done any caching up north yet) It gets dark early enough now and having him help spot the glints might be a bit more interactive.

Nope, but my allotted time slot is 1-4 pm, so wouldn't matter anyways. But you do have good suggestions. I'll have to get them hooked and then we can do more of these....

A couple that my son (4) liked a lot...

Alex's Park Fun (GC16K1Y) - Small park, zero cover, but a very easy find. mightyzinn loves this cache.

Alex's Halloween Cache (GC16WKC) - Near Alex's other cache, a great kid cache with park attached

Scary Cemetery Cache (GC16C5D) - this one's in Woodinville - Easy cache, tons of loot in there when we visited

Potluck & Quilting Bee Memorial Cache (GC2AAB) - tons of fun if they like dogs!

Albert's Bellevue Art Walk (GC10Y8V) - may be no loot for the taking, but it was cool enough to amaze mightyzinn into not noticing that

Grass Lawn Park, Let's Try This Again (GC15MDN) - ours in Grass Lawn Park, currently disabled, but we're very much hoping to rehide before the weekend and have it stocked with some decent Lego swag

Hope that proves useful!

Oh, those are great ideas, and *I* haven't done most of them, either. :ph34r: Keep 'em coming, and thanks!

Here are some I've done with my 5-year-old:

Strolling at Goldsmith Neighborhood Park (GCN96V)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...77-6c2100668f72

There is also another, smaller one in this park.

Skyridge Secret (GCWJFT)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7c-718e8dad08d2

This is a small park with a trail that starts from a nearby staircase. There are two smaller caches in the area. The trail did a bit of up and down, but H managed.

Potluck & Quilting Bee Memorial Cache (GC2AAB)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...58-c8a0996699f0

This one is in Marymoor Park, which is hard to not have a good time in. I remember this one being extremely easy to find. Also nearby is 5 Year Anniversary Cache (GC105WB).

Have fun!

On Potluck & Quilting Bee Memorial Cache (GC2AAB), I wanted to mention in case you don't know already, is a fair amount of walking. If Zinn wasn't chasing or being chased nby dogs half the time, pretty sure he would have been on my shoulders.

A few more:

Urban Cache: Overdue (GC21DC) - this is a multi, but a very easy one (as long as you can decode ROT13 before the kids get bored). WP1 is very close to the final and although there was no loot with this cache, the novelty and sneaky factors that played into this made this a very fun cache for both mightyzinn and me.

Family Celebration Cache (GCWKAC) - Very easy, in a small park and you can park very close to the cache

Strolling at Goldsmith Neighborhood Park (GCN96V) - there are two caches in this park. this one's an ammo can, the other is a smaller container

Big Bookworm (GCHB8W) - this is listed as a multi but its not really anymore. A big old bucket!

KE Troll Cache - Woodland Park (GCWBPE) - this is a nice one, but an adult might need to actually retrieve it. There's a few others in this park, although its this one and the following which I would recommend (especially the next one)

Tall Cache (GCKD9G) - Great kid cache, hidden by AdrianL. Same park as above, although this would be the one I would go after if I only was going after one

Every Day Should be Christmas! (GC144FC) - love this one :-)

Not in Redmond, but worthy of consideration at some point, one of our faves is OhJoy!'s A Stroll in the Park. ALL of my kids liked it.

michelle

That is a great one and the kids would love it. Not much in terms of swag though.

See, I forget about that part. We're not too 'goody' oriented. Handy for me... not so handy when I'm trying to rec. caches for small kids who want the treasure!!

michelle

Just picked up a few small Lego sets to load up Grass Lawn Park, Let's Try This Again (GC15MDN) with. If I can manage to get it active before this weekend there should be some cool stuff for whatever kids (big or little, but we're always rooting for the little kids!) hit it first :-)

Nick is VERY into Lego, so I'm hoping you get to restock it before Saturday afternoon. Please let me know if it is activated again, and I'll add it to our Must Do list. :) Thanks!

Edited by hydnsek

Bothell/Mill Creek area:

In Tambark Creek Park there are Lego Trails (Legos) and Cretaceous Cache (dinosaurs) and two others. In the Park & Ride where Bothell-Everett Highway crosses 405 (no walking!!) there's Used Cars (Matchbox cars), and Gotta Cache 'Em All (Pokemon theme, also very little walking) is nearby. In Thrasher's Corner Regional Park (undeveloped) there are two caches: Akela's Cache and (my) Keep on Looking!, both of which had kid-type swag in them last time I was there. There's also Walt's Vault Reopened (Disney theme, also very little walking) not too far away. If you were to venture a little farther along Bothell-Everett Highway to North Creek Park, where there are several caches, you'd find Sam's North Creek Croakin' Cache, a fun puzzle with a cute container that would appeal to a little boy (no swag, though!), and 13 Steps to See Dee Cache, a mini-multi with a cute resident TB is nearby.

Bothell/Mill Creek area:

In Tambark Creek Park there are Lego Trails (Legos) and Cretaceous Cache (dinosaurs) and two others. In the Park & Ride where Bothell-Everett Highway crosses 405 (no walking!!) there's Used Cars (Matchbox cars), and Gotta Cache 'Em All (Pokemon theme, also very little walking) is nearby. In Thrasher's Corner Regional Park (undeveloped) there are two caches: Akela's Cache and (my) Keep on Looking!, both of which had kid-type swag in them last time I was there. There's also Walt's Vault Reopened (Disney theme, also very little walking) not too far away. If you were to venture a little farther along Bothell-Everett Highway to North Creek Park, where there are several caches, you'd find Sam's North Creek Croakin' Cache, a fun puzzle with a cute container that would appeal to a little boy (no swag, though!), and 13 Steps to See Dee Cache, a mini-multi with a cute resident TB is nearby.

Thanks - those sound like great suggestions for anyone with kids up in that area!

I'm kinda surprised there's no Kid-Focused Caches bookmark list (at least, nobody's mentioned one). Sounds like it could be useful - to folks with kids and childless temporary guides like me - and there are certainly some great ideas for it in this thread. If I had kids, I'd make one, but well, I probably won't be needing it that often. :)

Edited by hydnsek

Bothell/Mill Creek area:

Excellent! I admit that I was hoping to pick up some good pointers for my son and myself and the above and the other suggestions are appreciated, even if they weren't intended for us :-)

Well, Nick and his mom had a great time this afternoon on their first geocaching outing. The clouds even parted for our adventure - a short rain break, even some sunshine! :)

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. We did four caches, and they set up an account and logged his finds as soon as we got home. Look for LegoFreak9's logs (and a couple photos from me as soon as I get them posted) on these four caches:

Urban Cache: Overdue

Alex's Park Fun

Fun for You

Grass Lawn Park, Let's Try This Again

Nick's hooked, and a natural-born navigator at age 6. I loaned him my Garmin GPSmap 60CS 'backup' GPSr, and only had to show him a couple times how to use the basic features. He quickly understand the map page, both for walking to the caches and for directing his mom while she drove (crow-flies, without the auto-routing on!). When he gets a little older, I'll have to introduce him to orienteering; I think he'd be a serious competitor. His only problem may be OCD (his mom's take) - he hates getting his hands (or any part of him) dirty, so he really didn't like touching wet, slimy parallel sticks. :(

Edited by hydnsek

Well, Nick and his mom had a great time this afternoon on their first geocaching outing. The clouds even parted for our adventure - a short rain break, even some sunshine! :(

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. We did four caches, and they set up an account and logged his finds as soon as we got home. Look for LegoFreak9's logs (and a couple photos from me as soon as I get them posted) on these four caches:

Urban Cache: Overdue

Alex's Park Fun

Fun for You

Grass Lawn Park, Let's Try This Again

Nick's hooked, and a natural-born navigator at age 6. I loaned him my Garmin GPSmap 60CS 'backup' GPSr, and only had to show him a couple times how to use the basic features. He quickly understand the map page, both for walking to the caches and for directing his mom while she drove (crow-flies, without the auto-routing on!). When he gets a little older, I'll have to introduce him to orienteering; I think he'd be a serious competitor. His only problem may be OCD (his mom's take) - he hates getting his hands (or any part of him) dirty, so he really didn't like touching wet, slimy parallel sticks. :D

He could start wearing rubber gloves, but when he gets older he might start freaking people out. :D:)

Glad you guys had a good time. :)

If you happen to be in this area at all(SeaTac). The cache we just released is easily accessible from the SeaTac Community Center. They just opened up their play area.

Swings, Playsets, Mini Rock Climbing Structure, Basketball courts.

For the nature minded, there is a small swamp in front of the community center, as well as the next door Botanical Gardens.

Cache Link: GC17H5D

There are also some other nearby ones that younger people can do.

Cache for SuperDash

Boulevard Park Booty

Multi - Centauri Escape Pod Foxtrot.