Non-Sequitor ads - false advertising bad!

Crusso

I understand GeoCaching has to have ads. I've clicked on a couple interesting ones myself.

However, That being said, Is anyone from the site monitoring the actual ad content?

I just clicked on an ad for a Garmin Map (thinking it was a paper map product) and was directed to one of those BS sites where in order to get the advertised product you have to sign up for a bunch of stuff like DVD clubs, credit cards, etc and then send them confirmations that you actually purchased the items before you get your "Free" item.

These kind of ads really are false lead-ins and shouldn't be allowed on the site.

Here's the ad - Read the fine print for yourself:

Garmin® GPS Map

Offer Details

You'll always know how to get there - and know where you are - with the colorful, lightweight, feature-packed hand held GPSMAP® 60CS GPS Mapping Device

This new, all-purpose unit offers a 256-color, highly reflective display that provides easy viewing in almost any lighting condition

Its transreflective TFT provides excellent viewing while giving you 20 hours battery life during typical use

Consumer Offer Source is not endorsed, sponsored by or affiliated with Garmin Ltd, GPS Map or any merchant listed above. Such terms are registered trademarks of their respective owners.

(here's the fine print):

*Receipt of the free incentive gift requires: 1.) Completion of offer terms, including age and residency requirements; shipping address verification; and registration with a valid email address 2.) Completion of user survey. 3.) Participation in sponsor offers, including 2 silver, 2 gold, and 6 platinum offers. Purchase may be required. Upon completion of participation requirements, we will ship the incentive gift to you with free shipping. This survey is an independent program for consumers and is not affiliated with the merchant/brands listed above. ConsumerOfferCenter.com is solely responsible for all incentive fulfillment. Upon valid completion of all Program Requirements we will ship your item to your provided shipping address. Unless otherwise indicated, participation eligibility is restricted to US residents, 18 and over. Void where prohibited. Please review our Terms and Conditions for more details.

Check Gift Status | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Unsubscribe | Help | Contact Us

© 2007 ConsumerOfferCenter.com. All Rights Reserved.

By the time you fill all those requirements you could purchase 4 of the units outright!!

So, my original point is why are these ads being allowed? They really amt to spam or worse.

Edited by Crusso

I'd love to see a magazine or newspaper that had a budget for investigating consumer rip offs actually try to get one of these free things, and see how much they had to spend to get it - that is if they ever did get the "free" stuff.

It probably already be done. if anyone has a link to such an article please post it.

I'd love to see a magazine or newspaper that had a budget for investigating consumer rip offs actually try to get one of these free things, and see how much they had to spend to get it - that is if they ever did get the "free" stuff.

It probably already be done. if anyone has a link to such an article please post it.

I saw some articles on this a few years ago, when the original iPod was the hot item to own. To get a "free" one, you had to fill out endless product surveys, apply for a couple of credit cards, sign up for other "free" services that you had to remember to cancel in 30 days or get charged for, etc. Yes, you can eventually get the item, but most people won't.

I understand GeoCaching has to have ads. I've clicked on a couple interesting ones myself.

However, That being said, Is anyone from the site monitoring the actual ad content?

If you're talking about the "Ads by Google", GC.com merely adds the code to the page and Google decides what ads to place on the basis of page content. GC.com contracts with Google, not the individual companies placing the ads. Having said that, GC.com can block a particular domain from running ads.

The problem with using ad clearinghouses like Google ads is that the website administrators do not have absolute and complete control of the content. The only way to do this is by setting up each and every advertisement, which is very expensive to do, and would cost more than the benefits. Therefore GC.com has decided to use Google ads where they can have a reasonable amount of control.

If a consumer clicks on an ad on the internet (or responds to an advertisement posted anywhere), there are two things they must remember.

1. Buyer beware.
  2. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Anytime there is the word "free", it is a good indicator that the consumer needs to remember of these.

The best ways to get rid of these types of ads is to get them in their bank accounts by clicking on their ads and never buy anything from them. They will then have to pay Google ads and our favorite website (GC.com) for the click yet the misleading advertiser will receive no revenue for it.

I realize that getting enough people to do this to get rid of misleading advertisers is difficult if not impossible, but it can be your own small way of "sticking it to the man" and getting some satisfaction. I don't have the time to search the webs for false ads but when I see one I'll usually click and "stick" em :( . Maybe someday it will catch-on with more people and it will have a significant effect.