Heads-up for MD Cachers: 8 State Parks May be in Danger

Vinny & Sue Team

Due to my work as a volunteer geocache/letterbox application reviewer on behalf of DNR Parks Division for two of the local state parks and also to my frequent contact with administrators within DNR Wildlife/Wilderness division and Waterways because of my cache hides, I have learned that at least eight state parks administered by DNR, along with possibly a few wilderness areas and protected areas, are in imminent danger of being permanently closed, with the dismissal of relevant staff. A number of DNR administrators are rather concerned about this possible scenario.

First, before I proceed, a bit of background:

You are likely aware of the fact that while a few of the larger National Parks suffer from gross over-utilization (and often from the wrong kind of visitors), state parks in most states suffer from gross under-utilization and thus become vulnerable to the vicissitudes of hasty budget cutting efforts, particularly as the budgets of most states veer toward the red area. In fact, this very fact (i.e., under-utilization) is a big reason why park admins now welcome us with open arms, as our sport encourages visitor traffic to the parks, particularly to under-utilized off-trail areas. Due to possible looming state budget cuts, at least eight DNR parks, along with some other DNR properties, are in danger of being permanent closed. Details follow, excerpted from an email which I received today from a DNR administrator:

...You may have heard about the Governor's "Cost of Delay" budget scenario should a new revenue package not come out

of the special session of the legislature. That calls for rather serious cuts in personnel and facilities.

Gambrill is one of eight parks targeted for permanent closure and release of staff if worst comes to worst.

Let's hope that doesn't happen. Stakeholders like yourself (and all geocachers) are our advocates. Please follow current events and

let those who can influence change know how you feel.

A word to the wise is often sufficient... While I am personally not a big fan of political activism, a bit of awareness and a few words in the right places can often help matters a lot.

BTW, if you wish to learn more about the potential cuts, please feel free to search in Google or Google News for more details.

Thanks!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team